The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whoa! Evil Bikes new gravel bike. Different (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245595)

geordanh 12-16-2019 08:18 PM

Whoa! Evil Bikes new gravel bike. Different

Range of reactions to this is not shocking. As usual, perception of it depends on what you ride. XC racers don’t lose their mind when the latest slack AF dh race bike comes out, obviously. But, it took a while for the sport to sort itself out and in the early days of free ride there was lots of debate about what the sport is or isnt. Gravel is turning out to be as broad a category as MTB with the same type of ultimately meaningless internal debate.

Back to my gravel bikes progression thread from a few weeks ago, people riding their gravel bikes only on fire roads and rural gravel range roads will never appreciate this kind of bike and that’s just fine. Incorporating the local mtb trails into longer gravel rides is a blast and this bike would be a hoot. Of course, riding these same trails on an mtb is also a total hoot, just a different experience.

I personally hope they sell lots of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T 12-16-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgolvin (Post 2633302)
Dan, once you opt to finally forgo standard road cranks and your username is not appropriate we'll be holding CHAMOIS_HAGAR_THE_HORRIBLE for you.

(+1 GOTHBROOKS)

I'm at least half way there - I have no Campy or any 39 inners on my bike... In fact, I'll shortly have some 31 rings :eek:

I love the addition to teh pun BTW ;)

EB 12-16-2019 08:28 PM

PVD should sue: http://www.peterverdone.com/2018-pvd-bird-of-prey/

old fat man 12-16-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Bingham (Post 2633317)
Trying to think of the terrain that would be great for a 66 degree head angle, but not suspension. Internet forums?

Love the name, though. Stay stony, Evil.

Maybe an event like Leadville. It's too smooth and paved at times for an mtb, but the climbs have some mildly technical sections, and the descents are loose enough to make a gravel bike a bit too sketchy. Lots of people choose an mtb with aero bars and some do choose a gravel or monster cross bike. It's still always been won on an mtb (sometimes with aero bars) though.

charliedid 12-16-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Bingham (Post 2633329)

I was thinking of those bikes too. Not sure you can make a legal claim to geometry can you?

commonguy001 12-16-2019 08:47 PM

The trail isn’t that much higher than a new Cutthroat (93 vs 88) and the new Cutthroat is shocking good. I would have scoffed at this a year or two ago but I’d try one now and probably really like it.
All kinds of crazy crap happening with gravel now, check out the Curve Walmer bars. The widest is 750mm in the drops.

Between the Chamois Hanger, the Beaux Jaxon and the new Cutthroat, there are some seriously crazy options. I for one am stoked.

sparky33 12-16-2019 08:55 PM

I bet bikepackers and mtb’ers will like this as their drop bar bike. ...the Salsa Cutthroat taken a step further. 29x2 tires, slack steering, narrow cranks and fork baggage sounds fun. I like it.

None of this is trying to replace a road bike.

sparky33 12-16-2019 09:24 PM

What tires are 29x2.0...50mm?

Am I seeing correctly that this is only available as a complete bike? No frameset only option?

happycampyer 12-16-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

I was just about to post the same thing! Man, his thread across the hall went into a swirling bird-of-prey death spiral...

I actually think the bike is very cool. I have a 650B all-road bike with a Lefty Oliver, so I get the idea of blurring the line between road and MTB... it's the marketing that kills me.

Kirk007 12-16-2019 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
NW knarly gravel bike; NW mountain bike; NW cross,gravel, bike packing bike. A real bike fanatic has the proper toolfor every job.:banana:
Attachment 1697989994https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a3b5747414.jpgAttachment 1697989995

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

geordanh 12-16-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

This is super interesting. Never heard of the guy before. Is this dude trying to sell bikes or is this just a blog thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike V 12-16-2019 09:54 PM

Looks like a carbon Cunningham.

XXtwindad 12-16-2019 10:14 PM

The bike looks super versatile and capable. Also really effin ugly. Kind of like the Kevin McHale of gravel bikes ...

Spdntrxi 12-16-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2633367)
The bike looks super versatile and capable. Also really effin ugly. Kind of like the Kevin McHale of gravel bikes ...

you a Dennis Johnson fan or something.

XXtwindad 12-16-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spdntrxi (Post 2633371)
you a Dennis Johnson fan or something.

Come to think of it, the whole '86 Celts were like today's full sus MTBs. Not a pretty player among them and they were unstoppable. Give me a sleek (Showtime) hardtail any day.

It's cool to see a road bike oriented toward descending as much as climbing, since that's not my strong suit. That being said, with geo that slack and a 50mm stem, it wouldn't seem like a "Billy Goat" on the climbs...