The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steel Frame Protection (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=254746)

Herder 07-07-2020 05:51 PM

Steel Frame Protection

My Colnago Master frame came in. Do you think I need to protect the frame with something like Frame Saver?

Just looking at the inside of the steerer tube scared me lol. Looked rusty

Bike will be kept indoors, ridden spring/summer in Ontario. I have other bikes so it should not see rain, unless I get stuck in a unexpected storm.

Do I need to spray something inside or leave it? If you recommend a spray what can I use that's easy to get and not that messy?

Thanks

bfd 07-07-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herder (Post 2753574)
My Colnago Master frame came in. Do you think I need to protect the frame with something like Frame Saver?

Just looking at the inside of the steerer tube scared me lol. Looked rusty

Bike will be kept indoors, ridden spring/summer in Ontario. I have other bikes so it should not see rain, unless I get stuck in a unexpected storm.

Do I need to spray something inside or leave it? If you recommend a spray what can I use that's easy to get and not that messy?

Thanks

You should get some Framesaver or Boeing T-9 or a new one I learned of called Fluid Film. You can get the latter at like O'Reilly Autoparts store.

Good Luck!

Velocipede 07-07-2020 06:18 PM

Get a wire brush and run it thru the steerer tube. I do it on forks and frames. Works really well. I have used Frame Saver in the past and currently. But the current formula is not the same. It takes longer to dry and doesn't coat as well. You need to do it more than once.

AngryScientist 07-07-2020 06:23 PM

yes. always treat the inside of steel tubes.

marine grade corrosion inhibitor is what i use. made to protect metal parts in marine (salt water!) environments, so overkill but good for the inside of your frame.

do it outside.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

donevwil 07-07-2020 06:28 PM

If rust, even light surface rust, is already present I'll ditto the wire brush process first and foremost. Once you remove as much of the loose rust, dirt, grime as you can I suggest neutralizing the remaining rust before applying a "protectant". I use Jasco Prep & Primer, but there are hundreds of others. It's cheap and effective, apply either with a brush or plug one end of a frame tube (including bottle cage bosses, etc), slosh it around to get all surfaces and drain it. Then, when dry, hit it with frame saver.

Peter P. 07-07-2020 07:01 PM

I'll echo all the suggestions above and add, since you mentioned "messy"- add the frame protectant outside, and bring WD-40 and rags to clean up any that gets on the outside of the frame. Framesaver is a bear to remove once it dries.

zmudshark 07-07-2020 07:07 PM

If it's really bad you can pressure wash the inside, hit it with WD 40 after, and then use Boeshield T9 or rust inhibitor of your choice. Easy to ream out the seat tube and head tube, fork steerer with a flex hone. The other tubes require ingenuity. If they are bad, open the weep hole and use water pressure to dislodge the rust. I'm told that rust never sleeps.

Nomadmax 07-07-2020 08:01 PM

I use fluid film on mine once a year (inside the tubes). Somewhere on the net is a really good post/test of several products. I just wish I could remember where.

Herder 07-07-2020 10:41 PM

Does Fluid Film leak out of the frame or does it harden up after it dries?

David Tollefson 07-08-2020 07:02 AM

I use linseed oil.

Nomadmax 07-08-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herder (Post 2753662)
Does Fluid Film leak out of the frame or does it harden up after it dries?

It doesn't harden up but it's really a little too thick to just leak out. Does that make sense?

Here's the thread I was looking for. It's well worth the read.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/an...t-1073581.html

Steve in SLO 07-08-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tollefson (Post 2753717)
I use linseed oil.

+1
Soak a paper towel or rag and shove thru the HT and ST with a dowel , coat the BB shell and any other bare metal areas. It’s cheap, easy, contains no propellants, and doesn’t look like rust, enabling easier monitoring. It also smells good, IMHO.

guyintense 07-08-2020 09:54 AM

I always thought that J P Weigle’s Frame Saver was the go to product.

charlieclick 07-08-2020 10:00 AM

Is it reasonable to ask a frame builder to do this for you?

I have a steel frame in the works, and would definitely like to treat the inside with something. If a professional can do it, I'd prefer it. Not sure if it's a reasonable request.

PQJ 07-08-2020 11:14 AM

Related Q - how often should framsavered steel frames be re-framesavered? I acquired a new steel frame - a very haute one if I may say - in January 2019. It was framesavered before the builder shipped it. When should I framesaver again?

Thanks in advance.