The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Maker quirks (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=268927)

girlscantell 05-14-2021 12:24 PM

Maker quirks

So I'm in the market for an old road bike. I'm learning about fit and parts and all that by reading your posts. The other day someone on this forum or another commented on a bike something to the effect of "That's a great builder and a lot more consistent than Viners."

Are Viners inconsistent in their frame builds?

What are the quirks are good to know about the various bike manufacturers out there?

Anything I should know about Rossin? Ciocc? Wilier? Things to watch out for or prize?

fiamme red 05-14-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlscantell (Post 2927470)
The other day someone on this forum or another commented on a bike something to the effect of "That's a great builder and a lot more consistent than Viners."

I'd take such statements with a grain of salt, unless this person worked in a bike shop that sold Viners.

prototoast 05-14-2021 12:52 PM

I think it would be really hard for anyone to write out all of these. In addition to different brands, there are also different years, models, production facilities. If you have a specific frame/model/year in mind, people could be helpful, but creating an encyclopedia of these things could become a full time job.

C40_guy 05-14-2021 12:59 PM

Red bikes are faster. Just sayin'

girlscantell 05-14-2021 01:41 PM

I just think it's interesting when a brand has a specific characteristic or quirk. Folks keep telling me that 3Renshos are "too stiff." Or that certain brands are more likely to be faked. Just curious what comes to mind for folks.

reuben 05-14-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlscantell (Post 2927470)
Anything I should know about Rossin? Ciocc? Wilier? Things to watch out for or prize?

Others here are far more knowledgeable than I, but I'd say that any of the three you mentioned are at least "darn good", if not better.

I have a Ciocc San Cristobal on order... :banana::banana::banana:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/pictu...&pictureid=806

NHAero 05-14-2021 02:27 PM

What size bike are you looking for?

Ken Robb 05-14-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlscantell (Post 2927523)
I just think it's interesting when a brand has a specific characteristic or quirk. Folks keep telling me that 3Renshos are "too stiff." Or that certain brands are more likely to be faked. Just curious what comes to mind for folks.

"Folks" are frequently full of baloney.

El Chaba 05-14-2021 03:10 PM

DeRosa. I have seen hundreds of DeRosas and have never seen a bad one. The handling is quick but not nervous. They ride beautifully and are always dead straight. The chrome is generally a notch above as is the paint but it can sometimes be fragile....it varies. To me they are what a racing bike is supposed to look like.

girlscantell 05-14-2021 03:12 PM

I'm looking at A De Rosa and a Rossin right now. The Rossin has cromor but I'm not sure I'll notice. The De Rosa seems like everything said above.

girlscantell 05-14-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb (Post 2927572)
"Folks" are frequently full of baloney.

This is true. As a bit of a novice, I need you podium guys to filter out the nonsense. Thanks.

soulspinner 05-14-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reuben (Post 2927553)
Others here are far more knowledgeable than I, but I'd say that any of the three you mentioned are at least "darn good", if not better.

I have a Ciocc San Cristobal on order... :banana::banana::banana:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/pictu...&pictureid=806

Got passed by a few of these in my day.

El Chaba 05-14-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlscantell (Post 2927574)
I'm looking at A De Rosa and a Rossin right now. The Rossin has cromor but I'm not sure I'll notice. The De Rosa seems like everything said above.

With vintage bikes, there is often a “discount” ...That is the real deluxe models are often sold for not much more money than the models lower in the lineup. Until about twenty years ago, there was no DeRosa model made with anything other than the best tubes from Columbus. Of those two frames when new at retail, the DeRosa would have cost twice the price of a Cromor Rossin. Rossins were nice bikes, but Cromor was a tube set used for a frame that was appearing more in the middle of the catalog than the top. The Rossin to own is the Ghibli model with one of the insane paint jobs...

unterhausen 05-14-2021 03:26 PM

I really liked my Viner. Main road bike for nearly 30 years. All the ones I saw looked pretty much the same. The paint wasn't very durable, that's my only complaint

girlscantell 05-14-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Chaba (Post 2927584)
With vintage bikes, there is often a “discount” ...That is the real deluxe models are often sold for not much more money than the models lower in the lineup. Until about twenty years ago, there was no DeRosa model made with anything other than the best tubes from Columbus. Of those two frames when new at retail, the DeRosa would have cost twice the price of a Cromor Rossin. Rossins were nice bikes, but Cromor was a tube set used for a frame that was appearing more in the middle of the catalog than the top. The Rossin to own is the Ghibli model with one of the insane paint jobs...

I'd LOVE a Ghibli!