The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Deep thought: I overthink bike stuff as a coping mechanism (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=256666)

Coffee Rider 08-14-2020 10:12 PM

Deep thought: I overthink bike stuff as a coping mechanism

I think this means in term of cost analysis, I need to base it on each thought session as the copay for a therapy session. I’m coming out ahead if I do the accounting correctly. Tonight’s thought is whether a certain bike will still be with me in 2024. This is a perfectly reasonable thing to be thinking about, isn’t it? Plus, anything I get for selling it helps support small frame building shops. Also, people need to acquire the really cool stuff for it to make it onto the builder’s instagram account. This all makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen 08-14-2020 10:33 PM

overthinking makes me anxious, but if it's like therapy for you, then your bike can be very, very expensive.

colker 08-15-2020 07:45 AM

No more coffee after six o clock.

paredown 08-15-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2776572)

Didn't you already say in another thread 'Think less, ride more!' I thought that was perfect.

To be fair though--I think that everyone is swimming in a sea of stress right now, so focusing on something that we find interesting and gives us a feeling of normalcy and control seems like a good coping mechanism.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself!:banana:

Coffee Rider 08-15-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2776572)

AM or PM?

colker 08-15-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Rider (Post 2776764)
AM or PM?

Hmmm...I need to overthink this for a moment.

colker 08-15-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paredown (Post 2776603)
Didn't you already say in another thread 'Think less, ride more!' I thought that was perfect.

To be fair though--I think that everyone is swimming in a sea of stress right now, so focusing on something that we find interesting and gives us a feeling of normalcy and control seems like a good coping mechanism.

Not me. Thinking is still the best exercise.

Fishbike 08-15-2020 05:09 PM

Overthinking about bike stuff is a diversion from the pressures of work, people who disappoint and of course the news. I compartmentalize thoughts of materials, pretty colors, components, geometry, Paceline and wrenching to take me on mental rides in the car, when falling asleep or tolerating another insufferable meeting. Real rides are best of course, but overthinking about bikes, self-consciously superficial, provides calm rumination and respite. It also keeps my PayPal account well-excercised.

Miller76 08-15-2020 05:16 PM

Paralysis by analysis

Coffee Rider 08-15-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paredown (Post 2776603)

I like to tell myself that this keeps my mind on positivity. It gives me certain “goals” to look forward to. While being able to pay bills feels particularly awesome now, I need to try other things to keep my thoughts positive. Although bike stuff sends me down a rabbit hole, it’s generally at least a positive one.

Clean39T 08-15-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Rider (Post 2776856)
I like to tell myself that this keeps my mind on positivity. It gives me certain “goals” to look forward to. While being able to pay bills feels particularly awesome now, I need to try other things to keep my thoughts positive. Although bike stuff sends me down a rabbit hole, it’s generally at least a positive one.

Cut from the same cloth we are.. Currently obsessing about the perfect gravel bike when I still have a few weeks before moving to the gravel playground and really should wait until I get there to complicate things by buying more stuff.

Coffee Rider 08-15-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2776861)
Cut from the same cloth we are.. Currently obsessing about the perfect gravel bike when I still have a few weeks before moving to the gravel playground and really should wait until I get there to complicate things by buying more stuff.

If you need help deciding on a gravel bike, I just emailed. Mike DeSalvo about plans for a 25th or 30th anniversary special and I’d love to see more pictures of his work.

You are much better at getting rid of bikes than I am.

buddybikes 08-15-2020 05:56 PM

I worry about will I be able to ride my favorite bike in 4 years, can I bend over enough....

Coffee Rider 08-15-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 (Post 2776865)
I worry about will I be able to ride my favorite bike in 4 years, can I bend over enough....

I'm planning on building in what I think should be at least a decade of adjustability in any bikes and hopefully two decades.