The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Parts hoarding (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=212034)

Michael Maddox 10-12-2017 11:10 AM

You don't EVEN want to know how much crap I have.

Really.

It's absurd.

In fact, I'm about to continue posting this stuff in Classifieds.

I have a lot of best-laid plans, but I'm prone to wandering about interests like someone browsing a salvage store.

If anyone wanted to simply come to Tallahassee and take this crap off my hands, you'd be well on the way to canonization and beatification.

FlashUNC 10-12-2017 11:11 AM

Odd stuff, mostly old consumables. Look Delta cleats (don't even ride Look pedals anymore), brake pads, etc.

I do have about six pairs of the four-bolt era Time pedals of various makes and models. Don't have cleats or the shoes to use them though. Maybe time to hunt some vintage Carnacs on eBay...

eddief 10-12-2017 11:22 AM

am i the only one?

10 speed triple stuff to 2045.

spoonrobot 10-12-2017 12:20 PM

I regularly ride four different bikes, between them they run 9s, 10s, and 11s. As well as 700c, 29", 26" and 650b. One is t/a the other three are qr. One is hydro brakes and the other three are cable.

At least they're all Shimano.

I have a lot of parts, but I have an excessive amount of stems and handlebars. I can count 14 stems and 6 handlebars just looking at the top of my workshelf. Part of this is fitting items and part just holding onto parts as I got rid of bikes and got new ones.

thwart 10-12-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeNY (Post 2246515)
I don't really want to quantify what I have at the moment...

You know you have a problem when you say things like this...

Maybe we need to do an 'intervention'.

And then come to my place and do another.

cadence90 10-12-2017 01:37 PM

I know that at least a few of us here suffer from this truly terrible, doubly debilitating, all-consuming disease... but I'm not naming names.

Anyage Fizik Arione Hoarding Syndrome

Some contend that an Arione-stash
Is bad for the the wallet and hard on the cash
Bad for the heart, bad for the mind,
Filling up the cart, always looking for that find

Makes some PLers crazy, and then they act like fools
Makes some PLers crazy, and then they start to drool

Unscrupulous operators could confuse
Could exploit and deceive
Conditional reflex theories and changing probabilities
eBay's a crass and raucous crackass place
Arione-itis is a plague upon the the cycling race
It's a terrible illness, it's a terrible case
And it's usually permanent when it takes place

It's an Ariones-hoarding syndrome
It's a hoarding-Ariones syndrome

It's a Fizik-Ari, Ari-Fizik, Fizi-Ari, Ari-Fizi, tcha-tcha-tcha-tcha...waaaaaaaaaaah, woooooaah...Yeah!!!....

:banana:

timto 10-12-2017 01:39 PM

Saddles and Stems and bars. Lots of each - just can't seem to find the right combo!

eBAUMANN 10-12-2017 01:43 PM

i hoard stuff i use/like, consumables, buying as much as possible when i find a good deal.

tires, chains, cassettes, bar tape, etc

i used to have a serious wheel problem...not so much anymore.

a little over a year ago i started tracking everything i bought and sold with a google sheet...that was an enormous help. it allowed me to see what i had without SEEING what I had. which helped immensely in trimming fat and getting rid of stuff i didnt need.

joosttx 10-12-2017 01:51 PM

Fizik airone Cx carbone rail saddles (I think PMdtong does the same)
Leatherman squirt 2 mini multi tool.
Water bottle cage bolts

eak12 10-12-2017 01:57 PM

When threads like this appear, I immediately think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

I've have one functioning bike, 4 bikes in various states of disrepair, 5 or 6 extra wheelsets, and 3 or 4 extra groupsets. I've found my people!

jtbadge 10-12-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBAUMANN (Post 2246598)
a little over a year ago i started tracking everything i bought and sold with a google sheet...that was an enormous help. it allowed me to see what i had without SEEING what I had. which helped immensely in trimming fat and getting rid of stuff i didnt need.

I've done the spreadsheet thing for most of my builds, but never general inventory. Might have to start doing that.

NHAero 10-12-2017 02:16 PM

I have four bikes with 9 speed Shimano so have spare bar end shifters, cassettes, and chains, and at least one long cage rear derailleur and one front derailleur. I have a couple of sets of bars, a bunch of tubes, probably four sets of tires (but covering MTB and commuting in 559, and gravel and road in 700C). A set of fenders and a couple of racks, bunch of cables. I don't toss stuff that I upgrade usually, so when the Litespeed got drop bars and 1x10 I kept the bar ends and Thumbies and the older rear derailleur. A couple of years ago I did a downsizing and sold over $1,000 worth of parts, not counting any really high end stuff.
Still have a Powertap 10 speed rear wheel i need to sell but don't have the head unit so not sure whether it's saleable, came on the CAAD10.

cadence90 10-12-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2246601)
Fizik airone Cx carbone rail saddles (I think PMdtong does the same)

err...shh..coughcoughmetoocoughcoughcough...shh... .

;)

KidWok 10-12-2017 03:30 PM

I used to have a lot more bikes and parts lying around. Many years ago, I was married and much more miserable than I realized. Anything to do with bikes was my sanctuary. I'd buy a part here, frameset there, etc...there was always a bike project waiting in the wings that I could flee to when I needed to get away. Many years of those behaviors led to just simply developing the habit of looking and buying. This place was AWESOME for that BTW.

At the height of my "problem", I had:

- Three project framesets
- 13 bikes
- 10+ complete groups in excellent and new conditions plus all sorts of spares
- 4-5 extra wheel sets, as well as every bike having its own wheels

In the last two years, I have done a lot of emotional labor, especially around understanding healthy boundaries with people at all levels of acquaintance. It's been really transformative and I've truly gotten to the point where I can recognize how much all things related to acquiring bikes had become a coping mechanism for a dysfunctional life. I sold off most of my group sets, saving only my favorite (7800!) for a future build. Made the hard decision to reasonably downsize my collection. It's still bigger than I need, but smaller than it used to be. The hard part has been getting rid of wheelsets...I deplore having to ship wheels because I never have the boxes for them so now there are several really nice wheels that have been orphaned after bikes were parted out.

I spend a lot of time on an e-bike commuting now. Still ride my bikes on the weekends. I tinker a LOT less than I used to. I've never been happier and more at peace with my life.

weisan 10-12-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidWok (Post 2246632)
I've truly gotten to the point where I can recognize how much all things related to acquiring bikes had become a coping mechanism for a dysfunctional life.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/3b...58ab7c8de5.jpg

True dat.