The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Food Processor? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=233083)

Nooch 01-16-2019 09:13 AM

OT: Food Processor?

We've hit rice, blenders, espresso, etc...

Anyone have a food processor recommendation?

And other uses for beside the singular goal I have, which is making homemade RX bars....?

Help me justify the expense :)

Bentley 01-16-2019 09:22 AM

Cuisinart

They make all kinds of models, cheap and not so cheap. If you buy one of th higher end ones it will likely live past your life.

One thing, I find that you use these things infrequently because of the clean up. Also, counter space. Just make sure you dont accumulate "gadgets"

My experience with the Cuisinart has been very good so no problem with the recommendation

Ray

NHAero 01-16-2019 09:25 AM

One thing I have to say about Cuisinart. Mine must be 25 years old, still works great, and can still get parts.

alancw3 01-16-2019 09:25 AM

i bought a kitchen aide bender a couple if year ago from costco that included a food processor. i think it was the best buy ever. that food processor can do everything.
wait and just so you know kitchen aide is the consumer of holibard.

Hardlyrob 01-16-2019 09:34 AM

Our ancient Cuisinart from the 1980's finally died last year (a little plastic piece in the bowl lock mechanism finally broke - it is made of unobtanium) - so we were on the hunt for a new one. I don't use it all that often, but it is nice to have one now and then.

I bought a Kitchenaid with all the slicing discs etc. - the bowl warped the first time it was run through the dishwasher. Followed that up with a Hamilton Beach - it works fine, it's kind of ugly, really loud, bounces around on the counter and you cannot get a dough blade for it. It has a free sign on it right now.

For Christmas I bought my wife (and me) a 14 cup basic Cuisinart (best value from America's Test Kitchen DFP14-BCNY). It weighs a ton, it's quiet, and I got a dough blade for it. So some experimenting and wasted money to figure out what I suspected all along - the basic Cuisinart is da bomb.

Ken Robb 01-16-2019 09:34 AM

I think we have a lot of info on these things in the archives. Consumer Reports also has run many tests.

echelon_john 01-16-2019 09:43 AM

We have this one, or the version of it from ~18 years ago. Has been flawless; easy to clean, plenty strong. We use it all the time.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...food-processor

eddief 01-16-2019 10:01 AM

manual mini for salsa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATz86SvJJzQ

Ozz 01-16-2019 10:57 AM

The best Cuisinart processors are the old ones (pre 1980??), when they were made by Robot Coupe....

That said, unless you want to spring for restaurant quality, I think Cuisinart are still considered top of the line. I have one I got at Costco....had for maybe 10 yrs...and the polycarbonate bowl is not nearly as durable as the older models.

My mom gave me her old one (from 1970's) after I got out of college...used for 15 yrs and gave away to a friend when I wanted a bigger one. I should have kept it....

skiezo 01-16-2019 11:40 AM

I have and older 20 year old USA made kitchen Aide and it see's frequent use and has been great so far. I had the touch pad replaced a few years ago and that is about it. The local hobart dealer has all the parts if anything else ever goes.
I would look on CL and find an older KA or cuisinart,you can find them pretty cheap these days.

jds108 01-16-2019 12:56 PM

I'd say just buy the Cuisinart at Costco and be done with it. At the time I bought mine a few years ago, they packaged a standard size unit with a mini unit all in one box. I use the mini more often as it turns out.

Nooch 01-16-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 2486461)
The best Cuisinart processors are the old ones (pre 1990??), when they were made by Robot Coupe....

That said, unless you want to spring for restaurant quality, I think Cuisinart are still considered top of the line. I have one I got at Costco....had for maybe 10 yrs...and the polycarbonate bowl is not nearly as durable as the older models.

My mom gave me her old one (from 1970's) after I got out of college...used for 15 yrs and gave away to a friend when I wanted a bigger one. I should have kept it....

Ah, see I Know robot coupe because that's what we have in the restaurant, didn't know they ever produced for cuisinart, though.

I figured Cuisinart would be the big winner -- i suppose i just need to figure out what else I'd process beside this *one* thing...

93KgBike 01-16-2019 01:58 PM

Yep. Cuisinart. Tried and true.

For rice, I stuck with Zojirushi, got one direct from Japan, as there a many fakes out there; lookin' at you amazon fulfillers.

Ozz 01-16-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nooch (Post 2486550)
Ah, see I Know robot coupe because that's what we have in the restaurant, didn't know they ever produced for cuisinart, though.

I figured Cuisinart would be the big winner -- i suppose i just need to figure out what else I'd process beside this *one* thing...

From Wiki...the one my Mom gave me was from about 1975 or so....

".... In the late 1960s, a commercial food processor driven by a powerful commercial induction motor was produced. Robot-Coupe's Magimix food processor arrived from France in the UK in 1974, ...Carl Sontheimer introduced this same Magimix 1800 food processor to North America in 1973 under the Cuisinart brand, .... Sontheimer contracted with a Japanese manufacturer to produce new models in 1977 in order to immediately launch his new Japanese-made food processor in 1980 when his contract with Robot-Coupe expired."

SlackMan 01-16-2019 03:16 PM

I trust reviews from Serious Eats quite a bit! See below:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/10/...nt-review.html