The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To Di2 or Not to Di2? That is the question. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210513)

rlanger 05-11-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilltopperny (Post 2361997)
I have mechanical groups on all but one bike at the moment. I have had di2 on a few bikes and liked it, but I didn’t really love it. I just received a bike with etap and I like it better than di2. New mechanical groups are great and you’ll never run out of battery power.

Yeah, I also considered going with eTap, but in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Why do you prefer it over Di2?

Hilltopperny 05-11-2018 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger (Post 2362097)
Yeah, I also considered going with eTap, but in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I like the ease of set up and ergonomics better. It looks cleaner and the batteries can be charged in my truck with a USB port. I also have the mid cage WiFli rd with a 11/32 cassette for a wider range of gears which I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe 05-11-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger (Post 2362097)

Why not EPS? Record ala $ as DA...:)

Gummee 05-11-2018 09:04 AM

After LOTS of years of riding mechanical STI, I have to think about shifting on my 1 Di2 bike. I don't like having to think about shifting.

If you have one or two bikes set up the same, it's great stuff. If you have many bikes set up with mechanical shifters and 1 bike without, I'd say 'save your $'

...but that's me... YMMV

M

DrSpoke 05-11-2018 04:21 PM

I've had Campagnolo on all of my road bikes since the 70s. And recently, just got my first SR group ever (mechanical). I will admit EPS is outside of my budget so I don't expect electronic shifting on any future road bike as I doubt I will every stray.

That said, I have Di2 on both my gravel bike (Ultegra) and mountain bike (XTR) and love it. It's superb at shifting under load when hitting a patch of soft sand or rounding a corner and finding a steep climb. Accordingly, I think it's very useful for off-road and maybe less useful on road. But, as stated, I haven't tried it on a pure road bike yet though I do take the gravel bike on the road. But think I would like it there too as all of my riding buddies love it. The Garmin display is a bonus.

rlanger 05-11-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2362115)
Why not EPS? Record ala $ as DA...:)

A few reasons in no particular order:

1. Not a fan of the thumb shifter, although I'm sure I'd come to accept or even appreciate it.

2. Availability (you don't tend to see as many sets available for purchase on the forums and their cost tends to be a bit higher than Shimano).

3. Harder to service where I live (not a lot of expertise or parts availability).

4. No Garmin integration (I really like this feature. I can control both my Garmin and my Bontrager lights from the hood buttons).

5. Maybe some personal bias. Always used Shimano and have never felt compelled to change.

6. I ride Fulcrum wheels (love them) and it would drive me crazy until I could find the cash to switch to Campy wheels!

Now, if I ever end up splurging for my dream bike, C64 (or whatever number they are up to by the time I go for it), I would seriously have to consider making the switch. As for now, I think the way my De Rosa is setup, is about as close to a dream bike as most anyone would want.

Avispa 05-12-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znfdl (Post 2231204)
I started with one bike with electric shifting. Now all 4 of my bike have electric shifting. It is that good.

"Electric" is the new drug! :banana:
Man, I have had to work on friends bikes with mechanical shifting... And it takes me some time to get in the mood to do it. But in the end I realize I am just working on a bike which is cool.

Di2, EPS, eTap, they're all great toys to play with! Go for it!

Bob Ross 05-12-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee (Post 2362176)
If you have one or two bikes set up the same, it's great stuff. If you have many bikes set up with mechanical shifters and 1 bike without, I'd say 'save your $'

As I've said before, I like to tell myself that I'm building new neural pathways by having a completely different shifting paradigm on every bike I own: I have four bikes, one each with Campy Record, Shimano Ultegra (6600), Suntour downtube shifters, and SRAM eTap.

Despite the fact that I have to re-set my brain every time I grab a bike and go for a ride, I wouldn't hesitate to say the electronic gruppo is "great stuff".

Not perfect...but great nonetheless.