The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Replacement Fork for Serotta Legend Ti (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=156827)

cd_davis 10-08-2014 11:47 AM

Replacement Fork for Serotta Legend Ti

My 1998 Legend Ti has the original 1 inch threaded Serotta carbon fork with steel steerer tube. I intend to keep the bike until I'm in a wheelchair.

I have considered buying a 1 inch threadless full carbon fork, which is a hard item to find these days. Given we're looking at a new fork and headset and possibly stem, is it worth it? For Forum members who have replaced the fork, what fork brand would you recommend and why?
Awaiting the advice of sages.....
Chris

AngryScientist 10-08-2014 11:51 AM

the only worthwhile upgrade i would consider given the 1" steerer is a custom fork from david kirk, kelly bedford, one of the Serotta alums.

bobswire 10-08-2014 12:15 PM

I've purchased a Wound Up 1" for a Merlin I had awhile back. GREAT fork if you can get past the looks though I thought it looked great on the Merlin. Later I purchased one for a Seven I had I liked them so much.
Though they have steel steerer.
http://www.bikemania.biz/wound-up-st...road-fork.html

http://i58.tinypic.com/10nrq6u.jpg

Ken Robb 10-08-2014 12:35 PM

My Legend had a Serotta O2 1" all-carbon fork and it rode like a dream. The O2 was very similar, if not identical, to a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. I also had a Litespeed that came with an Ouzo Pro. I swapped for an Ouzo Comp because that came with an aluminum steerer and I wanted to run a lot of spacers to raise my bars. I could discern no difference in ride or handling between those two fine forks. I also had a Waterford with a Profile Design all carbon fork that was fine too.

If you can find any of these I think you will be pleased. My CSi had a threaded Serotta F-1 and it rode well too but: it was heavy and wouldn't clear all 700x25 tires because the top of tire/bottom of fork interference. The weight didn't bother me but being stuck with 700x25 tires did.

buldogge 10-08-2014 12:43 PM

1" Columbus Minimal, full CF…Get it from Wiggle or Shinybikes for ~$225.

Alternatively, use the venerable Kestrel EMS Pro…if you can find a decent one.

-Mark in St. Louis

DRZRM 10-08-2014 12:55 PM

Probably not much help, but when I was in a similar situation with my 97 Ti (Legend), I went with an all carbon Serotta F-3 with 1" steerer. It was worth it in as much as it dropped about a pound off my bike, it rides beautifully, and allowed me to step away from a quill stem. I was, and remain, very happy with my outcome. There are not many, but they are out there. Or track down the above mentioned Reynolds Ouzo Pro, same thing. Hard search, but you have a nice fork on there (F-1 is a great riding fork), put up a WTB here and start following on Ebay. Something will turn up.

There is a Look (with a short steerer) and a Easton EC70 much longer currently on ebay. Either would be nice.

Saint Vitus 10-08-2014 01:02 PM

My '97 Legend had the original fork when I got it but it was too rough looking for me so I found a really clean Ouzo Pro with a steel steerer on ebay and called it a day.

When I brought it in my local shop for headset replacement and fork cutting, I saw an exact one with a carbon steerer on the wall for a little more than I paid plus it had a Chis King headset. I should have bought it as a spare but didn't. It later sold, naturally.

weaponsgrade 10-08-2014 02:24 PM

I replaced the stock 1" fork on my Classic Ti with an Ouzo Pro having a 43mm rake. I thought it rode even better w/ the Ouzo. The stock fork had a steel steerer. The Ouzo had a carbon and was a lot lighter. Though a few months ago I picked up a threaded steel Serotta fork. I was thinking I'd replace the Ouzo w/ the steel fork just for giggles.

fogrider 10-08-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd_davis (Post 1635570)
My 1998 Legend Ti has the original 1 inch threaded Serotta carbon fork with steel steerer tube. I intend to keep the bike until I'm in a wheelchair.

I have considered buying a 1 inch threadless full carbon fork, which is a hard item to find these days. Given we're looking at a new fork and headset and possibly stem, is it worth it? For Forum members who have replaced the fork, what fork brand would you recommend and why?
Awaiting the advice of sages.....
Chris

I'm running a Legend Ti with a Ouzo Pro, love the ride!
Chris, what size is your frame? I have a 1" Ouzo Pro that is in mint condition, but the tube has been cut to about 7". pm me if you're interested...I'm willing to let it go for a song.

kenw 10-09-2014 12:10 AM

Columbus Minimal

Just put a Columbus Minimal on my Serotta CO III. Got tired of looking state-side so purchased from Wiggle. Ordered it on a Thursday & it was on my
doorstep the following Monday. ~$225 shipped UK to CO

jzisk 09-25-2015 09:26 AM

Columbus Minimal!!!

I also have the Minimal on my Serotta Legend Ti, and love it. It actually reminds me or Dario's Falz forks on the Marcelo.

93legendti 09-25-2015 12:26 PM

I have an Ouzo Pro on my 2000 Concours. I have a minimal, but prefer the Ouzo Pro. My second choice would be an Alpha Q.