The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Comfortable clipless MTB / dirt / hike-a-bike shoes for wide forefoots? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=252783)

slowpoke 05-31-2020 02:10 PM

Comfortable clipless MTB / dirt / hike-a-bike shoes for wide forefoots?

I don't have "high volume" feet. I have boney feet with a wide skeletal structure at the front. Sidi Dominators caused my toes to go numb before I gave up and went back to clips + straps.

Who's making shoes these days that would fit my feet, yet are grippy enough to hike up some steep grades as I'm pushing my bike?

Thanks!

Spaghetti Legs 05-31-2020 02:34 PM

My feet seem to fit the description of yours. I’ve found my Giro Republics very comfortable. They also have bolt on gripper cleats. Mine weren’t called “urban” when I got them, but they’re the brown ones. I’m not sure what “urban” means in this instance.

https://www.giro.com/p/republic-lx-r...500000007.html

pbarry 05-31-2020 02:36 PM

Giro Ventana

Probably not grippy enuf for your needs, but really wide toe box. Sizing runs large: I ride a 44.5 road Sidi and the 43 Ventana fits.

Jaybee 05-31-2020 02:46 PM

Maybe look more for all-mountain or enduro type shoes if you plan on significant hike-a-bike. That will get you an actual grippy sole instead of some meager treads glued to the bottom of a road shoe.

Shimano am-7 is pretty wide in the forefoot. Giro Terraduro is a bit narrower, but not narrow. I think the Ventanas are the replacement for those. No experience with other brands AM offerings, but 5-10 makes a couple models and of the fit is like the Freerider, there should be ample space there as well.

Spaghetti Legs 05-31-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarry (Post 2730469)
Probably not grippy enuf for your needs, but really wide toe box. Sizing runs large: I ride a 44.5 road Sidi and the 43 Ventana fits.

Sizing is same for me, Sidi Ergo road shoe 45, slightly tight, Giro Republic 45 slightly large.

ST165 05-31-2020 03:15 PM

Lake shoes. Their wide shoes are true wide shoes, not the same sole (last) as a regular shoe with more fabric around the top. They have sizing charts that are true dimensions of the shoe. I had problems with my feet going numb within 5 minutes of putting on my old shoes despite the adjusters being very loose. Lake MTB shoes fixed that. I think they will have exactly what you are looking for.

marciero 05-31-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 2730468)
My feet seem to fit the description of yours. I’ve found my Giro Republics very comfortable. They also have bolt on gripper cleats. Mine weren’t called “urban” when I got them, but they’re the brown ones. I’m not sure what “urban” means in this instance.

Giros are great. I also have wide feet but the their standard have been fine. If you want to hike up steep grades I would suggest the Terradura. They have a Vibram sole and walking is as comfortable as any regular or hiking shoe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST165 (Post 2730486)
Lake shoes. Their wide shoes are true wide shoes, not the same sole (last) as a regular shoe with more fabric around the top. They have sizing charts that are true dimensions of the shoe. I had problems with my feet going numb within 5 minutes of putting on my old shoes despite the adjusters being very loose. Lake MTB shoes fixed that. I think they will have exactly what you are looking for.

The Lakes are also great. If you are a true wide you may want to consider. I only have experience with the full carbon soled versions which I dont recommend for hike-ability. The MX 168 Enduro look to be what you might want. Again, you may or may not want the wide version. They have about four different lasts, each with a standard, wide, xwide versions. The shoes I have are standard with "more room in the toe box" and it's almost too much room. They do have a size chart to get an idea.

mwynne 05-31-2020 03:48 PM

Just following - wide, flat, low volume feet here and need some new treaded road-ish shoes.

owly 05-31-2020 04:31 PM

My feet are 269/270mm in length. 112/113mm at widest. Not super wide, but some width I guess. Fairly flat with narrow heel.

S-Works mtb 6. 43cm.

As usual I looked around for a NOS/discounted pair as these are expensive.

After a little breaking in, fit like a glove.

For hike-a-bike ideally I'd want a shoe like the new Recon 3.0 with its flex forward of the cleat. That shoe apparently has a taller toe box area with a wider heel.

If you don't have a narrow heel, look elsewhere than the 6.

I do quite a bit of pretty steep walking in these.

ultraman6970 05-31-2020 06:39 PM

I do not know in mtb shoes but in road hard to beat lake shoes. They have mtb shoes in wide aswell.

slowpoke 06-01-2020 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the recs folks!

To be clear, I am looking at shoes with proper treads like the Giro Terraduro (whatever classification they fall under), but their HV offerings were voluminous in the wrong areas without offering enough width.

I will take a look at Lake given all the responses. I wish their web site was better designed.

d_douglas 06-01-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpoke (Post 2731380)
Thanks for all the recs folks!

To be clear, I am looking at shoes with proper treads like the Giro Terraduro (whatever classification they fall under), but their HV offerings were voluminous in the wrong areas without offering enough width.

I will take a look at Lake given all the responses. I wish their web site was better designed.

I use those exact same Terraduros and they are nice all purpose shoes. If you are interested in something on the MTB side, the Specialized Enduro 2FO shoes are very nice and have a fairly wide toe box , though not too roomy or tall. I really like these shoes.

Hikyle2 06-02-2020 10:20 AM

I was surprised how wide the Giro Chamber shoe fit, I felt as though it fit wider than the labeled HV shoes in the toe box. Also the Rambler fit the same as well, seems like the mid range more street looking shoes seemed to fit wider.

efixler 06-02-2020 11:05 AM

I had similar problems with Dominators, on long rides my little toes would be excruciating pain.

I switched to the Garneau Copper T-Flex shoes and I'm really happy with them. They are super comfortable and ride really well.

I find them good to walk hike in -- definitely way better than the dominators -- but their sole doesn't look quite as "shoe-ey" as your example above.

Smitty2k1 06-03-2020 02:09 PM

I don't really know what my wide foot problem is but it causes my toes to go numb while cycling, even in flats (Five Tens) where I've sized up to ensure I've got plenty of width.

Tried Bont Riot+ MTB wide, and Shimano XC7 wide, and both were very comfortable and FELT like they fit well, but again numb toes (like another poster here in as little as 5-10 miles...)

So far the Lake MX218 wide shoes that I got have not caused any numb toes! It must have something to do with the difference in the shape of the last. The Lakes actually feel a touch smaller than my Bont and Shimano shoes because the ends of my toes hit the front of the shoe while pedaling, though not uncomfortable.

If anyone needs some very gently used Bont or Shimano MTB shoes in size 42/42.5 hit me up.