The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My Brand New 27 Year Old Bike (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=247882)

kbone 02-23-2020 02:40 PM

My Brand New 27 Year Old Bike

7 Attachment(s)
I've been searching for an interesting project bike to use for errands, and I figured while I am at it, might as well get something that would be a bit more capable. I looked at vintage mountain bikes, vintage touring bikes, Soma, Surly, etc., but never found anything that piqued my interest enough to purchase.

The other day I did my weekly scroll through the local Craigslist and stumbled across an interesting find. A brand new, still in the box 1993 Bridgestone XO-4. I reached out to the seller and asked a few questions, agreed upon a price, and finalized the purchase.

While picking up the bike, I learned that the seller's father made tires for Bridgestone. When the bicycle division closed, the company offered bicycles to employees at cost. His father purchased the XO-4 and stored it for the next 27 years. His father recently passed away and he decided to part with the bike. I told him that I was excited about the story behind it and he asked if I knew about Grant Peterson and Rivendell bikes. I told him i did and he told me about how he'd paid his money to be a member and receive the Reader for many years. His big question to me was, "are you going to build it and ride it?" My answer was and emphatic, "yes." I sort of wonder if it was a mistake to unbox and build it, but a bike is a tool and should be used for its intended purpose.

I documented the unboxing and build. I thought I would share. I will split it into multiple posts.

kbone 02-23-2020 02:43 PM

Unboxing

7 Attachment(s)
Here is the unboxing...

kbone 02-23-2020 02:46 PM

Included items...

3 Attachment(s)
Other stuff in the box...

kbone 02-23-2020 02:50 PM

Build

10 Attachment(s)
Some pics from the build... The only issues I found were some discoloration on one of the tires and rims, a slightly messed up decal, and a slightly scratched up stem....

kbone 02-23-2020 02:53 PM

Completed Project

7 Attachment(s)
Build complete...

oldpotatoe 02-23-2020 02:58 PM

Very, VERY cool but after 27 years, I’d overhaul the BB, HS and hubs...lotsa new grease. Think I would true/round/tension and Stress Relieve the wheels. Maybe powder the tubes.

Then ride it!

colker 02-23-2020 03:01 PM

Handlebar is wonderfull. I would raise the stem and angle the bars down forward. Awesome design.

kbone 02-23-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2662247)
Very, VERY cool but after 27 years, I’d overhaul the BB, HS and hubs...lotsa new grease. Think I would true/round/tension and Stress Relieve the wheels. Maybe powder the tubes.

Then ride it!

I forgot to mention that... did the bottom bracket already. Need to get a headset wrench (on the way) and will do that next. I'm not good with wheels, so I will probably take them into the LBS and have them knock that out.

One cool thing was, there was fresh blue grease in the seat tube and steerer tube.

Frankwurst 02-23-2020 03:14 PM

Your warranty is not valid.:rolleyes: But that has to be one of the greatest finds in the world of cycling I've seen in a long time. I would take Old Spuds advice and repack the bearings. Good on you for such a sweet deal.:beer:

Gummee 02-23-2020 03:15 PM

Time capsule!

Ride and enjoy

M

2metalhips 02-23-2020 03:37 PM

Very cool!

merckx 02-23-2020 03:38 PM

On many levels, that is super cool!

zmalwo 02-23-2020 03:49 PM

I would not ride it. I'm sure if you contact its headquarter they will offer to buy it for a good amount Funny thing the box says Merida on it.

Ken Robb 02-23-2020 03:54 PM

It looks like the bars would also work reversed for a more upright rider position.

robt57 02-23-2020 04:14 PM

Very cool...