The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   purge at CyclingTips (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=289310)

offtheback 11-15-2022 07:38 PM

purge at CyclingTips

well, this kinda blows. guess corporate hacks gonna do what corporate hacks gonna do.

"Today Caley Fretz, Dave Rome, Matt de Neef and Daniel Benson (Editor-in-Chief of VN) were let go. Plus lots of other staff (including Steve Brawley who has been with CT for years in sales) and others throughout the company. 12% in total.

What a clusterfcuk OutsideInc is. Robin Thurston has gotten his head over his skis and singlehandedly fcuked up dozens of good media publications in just 2 years.

Goodbye CT. It was good while it lasted."

prototoast 11-15-2022 07:46 PM

This is the obvious consequence of Outside's anticompetitive and facially illegal acquisitions of so many cycling media brands.

FTC and DOJ dropped the ball on this one, and we're all paying the price for it.

fa63 11-15-2022 07:47 PM

OT: Cycling Tips lay-offs

This news really bummed me out. I like that crew a lot; especially Dave Rome and his tool obsession :)

Xrslug 11-15-2022 07:48 PM

That is rough. Agree on Dave Rome — his stuff was fantastic.

hoj 11-15-2022 07:49 PM

NOOOO!

That is absolutely HORRIBLE news to hear. Such a bummer. The NerdAlert podcast was one of the highlights of my week, not to mention all of the quality content they provided on the actual website (Tool Tuesday for one).

Seriously so bummed by this news...

velotrack 11-15-2022 07:51 PM

those guys were great. cost cutting on paper, but losing some really key pieces will burn ya eventually.

best to luck to all those affected.

RWL2222 11-15-2022 07:53 PM

Dave rome is here right?

Clean39T 11-15-2022 08:00 PM

And Outside owns BikeReg.. so canceling my CyclingTips account/subscription isn’t even going to get me a clean break from their reach.

I hope Payson or Ted get Caley on their pod, stat

Effin vampire-squids strike again.

Elefantino 11-15-2022 08:21 PM

I’ve known people in the industry for a while and Caley is one of the best, nicest around. I’m gutted but not surprised. Anyone who thought Outa go of it work so much overlap was dreaming.

I hope Wade Wallace takes his buyout money and starts something new with this available talent pool.

AngryScientist 11-15-2022 08:23 PM

Relevant threads merged.

fa63 11-15-2022 08:24 PM

He has been posting in the VeloClub Slack; looks like he may be up to something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 3172523)
I hope Wade Wallace takes his buyout money and starts something new with this available talent pool.

Clean39T 11-15-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoj (Post 3172514)
NOOOO!

That is absolutely HORRIBLE news to hear. Such a bummer. The NerdAlert podcast was one of the highlights of my week, not to mention all of the quality content they provided on the actual website (Tool Tuesday for one).

Seriously so bummed by this news...

Yep. Feel gutted for James H. and Andy V. and Abby M. too - gotta suck to show up to work the next day after your friends have been sacked..

Hoping something good comes from these ashes.

mlc 11-15-2022 08:28 PM

The outside merger looks more and more vile by the month. It really is sad to see how the interference of so few players can wreak absolute havoc on a niche industry like outdoor writing. I'm hoping that in the next few years some good new stuff will emerge from the ashes of the current outdoor media landscape, but right now it's looking bleak. I remember reading outside magazine regularly through high school, and being miffed when the content quality dropped off. Upsetting to see that dropoff being spread to other publications I love like cyclingtips :(

misterha 11-15-2022 08:29 PM

Wade Wallace Comeback

Trying to amplify this, there's hope for something we all deserve and not this outside nft crap

https://wadewallace.substack.com/p/i...ng-needs-to-be

herb5998 11-15-2022 09:08 PM

Sad to see the news, hopefully they come up with something that is better after this. I remember the early days of CT fondly, it sucks to see so much consolidation.