The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need more toe room (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=303685)

hypnos 01-28-2024 02:48 PM

Need more toe room

I ordered and received the Shimano SH-RX801 shoes. These are seriously nice, well made and light. However, they squish my toes. Who makes a mountain/gravel type shoe with more toe room? I don't need more overall volume, just wider in the toe box.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

fourflys 01-28-2024 02:50 PM

Lake.. great thread on them today and yesterday.. do a quick scan of the first page or two of general discussion..

Mikej 01-28-2024 03:14 PM

I heard the 8 series are more narrow than the 9 and 7.

fourflys 01-28-2024 03:23 PM

I think the issue, as I've read, with Shimano is even their wides don't vary the footbed.. they only increase the upper width.. so your foot could feel like it's "hanging over the side" of the footbed..

ssb94 01-28-2024 04:01 PM

Idk if this is true, or just my perception, but my old specialized shoes felt like they had way more toe room than my Giros or NW. It was my least favorite thing about them actually. Might be worth trying

Veloo 01-28-2024 04:37 PM

Custom Luck.

https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/

catchourbreath 01-28-2024 06:57 PM

The s-works recon is pretty toe-wide 2.5mm or something wider than last gen. I got wides and was floating around a bit combined with their slightly longer last.

bironi 01-29-2024 12:45 AM

Seriously, disregard the light and well made parameters.
Unfortunately this is very similar to saddle advice.
And take it this from experience, you’re foot does change it’s print with time.
Futz with it till you get it , but that may change as well.
By

fignon's barber 01-29-2024 05:17 AM

Bont has good width in toe area, with normal overall volume. They are actually shaped like a human foot (there's a novel idea). I wear same size in both shimano and Bont. Avoid Fizik, unless they've redesigned their shoes over the last couple years.

gij17 01-29-2024 06:39 AM

I have wide forefoot and narrow heal. Tried few shoes, including older Shimano and sidi mega and was not happy with either. I’ve had good luck with specialized. I think they are moving more toward the Bont, without the moldable thing

Turkle 01-29-2024 08:06 AM

I like a wide toe box and a nice grippy heel. Specialized shoes have never let me down, particularly in conjunction with their line of insoles. Perfect fit for me, every time. I think they are worth a shot for you and are easily available used if you want to give some a try for less $$.

steelrimbrake 01-29-2024 04:09 PM

Everywhere I looked said Lakes for wide but I couldn't justify the price for my first road shoes. I tried UDogs based on a review that said the toe boxes were wide and haven't been disappointed. I need them for preventing bunions. For reference, I wear Altras for hiking/running shoes and can no longer wear Vans, Converse, Nikes... most off the rack shoes.

Bandrewhill 01-29-2024 06:08 PM

My experience is the older Shimano 9 series roads were wider...but the new Phyre's are not. I want to try specialized but the ones I like require an account in the Caymans....Bonts felt sloppy.....Sidis are for Skinny Italian feet....even the wide sizes. It is a problem....I also wear Topo's and Altra's all the time. WHY do companies make shoes with such pointy toes....Ina world wherre everything is ergo and size driven (ie. Bikes).....Makes no sense.

bigbill 01-29-2024 09:16 PM

Last year, I got a pair of Lamson shoes. See the top banner. They were the price of a mid-range set of carbon wheels, but I did the custom fit session with Don in AZ while my wife was doing an equestrian event an hour away. I have neuropathy in both feet, and some nerve damage in my left leg (20 deployments), and the shoes are my best cycling investment yet. I went with two-bolt cleats and put SPD pedals on my main road bike.

palincss 01-29-2024 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnos (Post 3344833)
I ordered and received the Shimano SH-RX801 shoes. These are seriously nice, well made and light. However, they squish my toes. Who makes a mountain/gravel type shoe with more toe room? I don't need more overall volume, just wider in the toe box.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Sidi's Mega sizing has a wide toe box.