The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Armadillo tires (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234415)

hotspur.serotta 02-18-2019 09:54 AM

Armadillo tires

A mechanic at my LBS recently told me the most thorn-resistant tires in their experience are Specialized Armadillos, Conti Gatorskins, and Schwalbe Marathons.

I have Schwalbe Marathons and Duranos on two bikes, so decided to get a set of Armadillos. (Incidentally, I've found Duranos are not nearly as puncture proof as Marathons.) At a recent group ride a man told me he had run Armadillos for years, then, around 2000 he had tread separation on several, including a brand-new one, and gave up on the brand.

Has anyone else had that experience? If so, was it recently?

Perhaps his experience was an anomaly?

Or Specialized has moved production since then?

Or they have changed the formula?

bjf 02-18-2019 10:09 AM

I had tread separation on two of them also. Around 2010 or so.

Bob Ross 02-18-2019 10:36 AM

I ran Armadillo Elites on my commuter/foul weather bike for 11 years (2007-2018) and never once had a tread separation.

11.4 02-18-2019 06:41 PM

One of the toughest tires out there, and also one of the nastiest to ride. Uncomfortable, not particularly good on slippery surfaces, just miserable riding. They did avoid flats and they did last forever, which was not a benefit in my mind.

gasman 02-18-2019 06:56 PM

Commuted on them for years also. The original armadillos rode like crap but never flatted. The armadillo elites ride quite a bit better , still not great and I did have tread separation on one tire about 2011- the shop took it back and replaced it for free. The marathons have a pretty similar ride (harsh) but a bit better traction in the wet. I also found duranos not as puncture proof as marathons but the ride is a little better.
Basically any punture proof tire is going to have a lousy ride compared to any good, supple road tire.

berserk87 02-18-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasman (Post 2502851)
Basically any punture proof tire is going to have a lousy ride compared to any good, supple road tire.

The gasman knows what he's talking about.

There are different levels of compromise with puncture resistance/durability and ride quality. If you increase one variable, you tend to decrease the other.

Imagine, if you will, one tire to rule them all: puncture resistant, durable, supple, light weight, low rolling resistance, cornered well, good on wet roads, and with great temperature range, for $7.

That tire is not currently being made.

In the meantime, any tire you choose is a compromise one (or a few) of those variables that are most important to you.

Lewis Moon 02-18-2019 09:44 PM

You could just go ahead and go with wood tires and get the same effect. I had a set and was gobsmacked at how bad the ride was. Really.

bigbill 02-19-2019 12:40 PM

I used Armadillo tires on my Oahu commuter for three years. Once a week I'd deflate the tire, pinch the tread, and use a scribe to pick out the chunks of glass. The only flat I got was when I hit a section of barbed wire fence and that was about the same as hitting a roofing nail. I'd replace the rear tire every 3 months (1800 miles) the front every 6 months. They wouldn't be worn out at 1800 miles, I'd just reach my threshold of missing chunks of tread.

oldpotatoe 02-19-2019 12:50 PM

Thorns?

Put some goop in those tubes. OrangeSeal is what I rec. but even Slime works.

slambers3 02-19-2019 01:28 PM

I've run armadillos in the winter in the past...boy do they ride rough. durable though

DfCas 02-19-2019 02:12 PM

I rode a set once. I decided I would rather change a flat, ride a flat, or just ride on the rim.

Ralph 02-19-2019 02:22 PM

If I commuted in miserable or cold weather......flat resistance w/b everything.

97CSI 02-11-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11.4 (Post 2502844)
One of the toughest tires out there, and also one of the nastiest to ride. Uncomfortable, not particularly good on slippery surfaces, just miserable riding. They did avoid flats and they did last forever, which was not a benefit in my mind.

My '97 Armadillo still rides the back wheel when the bike is in the basement on the trainer. Can't disagree with your description of its riding characteristics on the road and it weighs a ton, but is fine on the trainer and thus far has been indestructible.
Gatorskins for the road.

97CSI 02-11-2021 07:25 AM

Slime tubes...... anyone using them?

For spring am going to run a pair of 28c tires and need new tubes for same. Am wondering about Slime tubes due to all the trash that is on the side of the roads around here after the winter. Do they work well? Anyone tried them and think they are good? Don't care about weight as I'm in no hurry in the spring.

fiamme red 02-11-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97CSI (Post 2879672)
For spring am going to run a pair of 28c tires and need new tubes for same. Am wondering about Slime tubes due to all the trash that is on the side of the roads around here after the winter. Do they work well? Anyone tried them and think they are good? Don't care about weight as I'm in no hurry in the spring.

You can read reviews on the website of one of our forum sponsors: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...g-tubes?sg=500.