The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ENVE + Classified. Was this part of the 11th big thing? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306055)

makoti 04-17-2024 01:47 PM

ENVE + Classified. Was this part of the 11th big thing?

Just got an email about this.
Was it included in the Fray announcement? I think this would be bigger than another clone frame

https://enve.com/collections/classif...6rM48-Q.rHwQpi

Spdntrxi 04-17-2024 02:45 PM

I was going to get my Enve4.5AR relaced.. now I dont need too.. I will just get the 4.5 ready to go rear only. I like the ideal.

Likes2ridefar 04-17-2024 02:52 PM

Interesting that Enve says it handles up to 1500w under load shifting while classified says 1000w.

Cat3roadracer 04-17-2024 03:25 PM

I am confused as to what it does. Can someone explain?

duff_duffy 04-17-2024 03:32 PM

Thanks for asking…I feel like I’m missing something, I don’t get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer (Post 3373949)
I am confused as to what it does. Can someone explain?

phishrabbi 04-17-2024 03:36 PM

The company Classified makes and markets a hub which has two gear ratios such that one can utilize a 1x system without sacrificing the gear ranges associated with 2x systems.

saab2000 04-17-2024 03:40 PM

Curious how much the power loss is on the ratio that isn’t a direct drive.

cgolvin 04-17-2024 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishrabbi (Post 3373959)
The company Classified makes and markets a hub which has two gear ratios such that one can utilize a 1x system without sacrificing the gear ranges associated with 2x systems.

Plus their own cassettes which are proprietary to their hubs; they have 11, 12, and 13 speed cassettes. I still can't figure whether they eventually plan a version of the hub to which one can mount a "standard" cassette.

I'm going to test ride one tomorrow, plan to discuss with the mechanic at the shop.

saab2000 04-17-2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgolvin (Post 3373965)
Plus their own cassettes which are proprietary to their hubs; they have 11, 12, and 13 speed cassettes. I still can't figure whether they eventually plan a version of the hub to which one can mount a "standard" cassette.

I'm going to test ride one tomorrow, plan to discuss with the mechanic at the shop.

Please report back. Definitely curious about this.

Mark McM 04-17-2024 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishrabbi (Post 3373959)

The idea of using an internally geared rear hub matted with a cassette freehub has been done several times before, by Sturmey-Archer and SRAM. The differences between the previous systems and the Classified system are:
  • Sturmey-Archer and SRAM used a 3spd internal gearing, while Classified's is 2spd
  • The Classified system uses wireless shifting (the others used cable shifting)
  • The Classified system is disc brake only (the others were rim brake only)
  • The Classified system claims to be just as efficient as a 2x derailleur gearing (yet to be independently verified).
  • The Classified system uses its own proprietary cassettes (which are very expensive at $230 - $300 each).
The advantage of these systems vs. a multi-chainring system are that they can be shifted under load, they are less likely to drop a chain (particularly if a narrow-wide chainring is used), and they are potentially more aerodynamic.

The disadvantages are that they are more expensive than a multi-chainring system, heavier than a multi-chainring system, and rear wheel changes are somewhat more complicated than with a multi-chainring system. An additional disadvantage of the Classified system is the reliance on proprietary cassettes. Also note that the Classified system doesn't integrate directly with other brands of shifters, so an auxiliary shifter specific to the Classified system is used.

CBaron 04-17-2024 04:37 PM

Subscribed for further info also.

-CJB

Spdntrxi 04-17-2024 04:46 PM

Peak Torque looked at efficiency

I dont find not being integrated into SRAM/SHIMANO an issue. I went with SRAM in my setup because I use the double shift for the dropper post (reverb)
There is no difference changing the wheel to me.

I really like it so far.. Sea Otter Gravel race for me this weekend. The gear switch makes shimano feel slow ..blows SRAM away

Cassettes are light
Hub shell is midweight
Hub center (gears) are heavy.. I dont know how they can make lighter?