The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To Di2 or Not to Di2? That is the question. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210513)

rlanger 09-09-2017 02:40 AM

To Di2 or Not to Di2? That is the question.

Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

So, what say you Paceliners?

oldguy00 09-09-2017 05:07 AM

Will it make you faster? No.
Will you ever go back to mechanical? No. :)

I switched to triathlon a few years ago, so I never got around to changing my road bike to di2, but I did upgrade my tt bike to Ultegra di2, and I love it. No cables to install or go out of tune, perfect shifts every time, auto trimming front derailleur..

Just do it.

BdaGhisallo 09-09-2017 05:27 AM

You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.

oldguy00 09-09-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo (Post 2231200)
You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.

Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.

znfdl 09-09-2017 05:32 AM

I started with one bike with electric shifting. Now all 4 of my bike have electric shifting. It is that good.

LJohnny 09-09-2017 05:39 AM

Fan as well, albeit I have bikes w/o di2 and still enjoy them. You can indeed turn synchronized shifting off if it isn't your bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BdaGhisallo 09-09-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldguy00 (Post 2231201)
Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.

Yup, it can be easily disabled. The multi-shift is a nice feature but syncro shift lasted all of three miles on my bike before I switched it off.

rlanger 09-09-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo (Post 2231200)

Well, if I don't like Syncro shift, I guess I can always set up a field on my Garmin 1000 to display what gear I'm in. That would also be miles better than having to look down and back at my rear derailleur.

oldpotatoe 09-09-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger (Post 2231196)
Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

Electronic shifting is really keen, but modern mechanical is too. 'Worth' is a big word...I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.

It IS nice to never have to ever change inner wires and shift housing, ever again(particularly if internal). It is nice that once adjusted, it never needs any tweeks. BUT can be vexing if some component or connector fails(altho diagnostics will tell you where the issue is, and very rare).

Kingfisher 09-09-2017 07:56 AM

Just bought a used Emonda on ebay with di2.....it is that good. Never fidgeting with front der positioning now is pretty great, rear shifting is spot on.

Is it worth it, yes. I don't want to ride my other bikes that are not di2 equipped.

Zee 09-09-2017 08:19 AM

Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...

Lanternrouge 09-09-2017 10:39 AM

Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.

My own sense is that most people who've used Di2 for a bit end up preferring it and I'm one of them. People who don't have it are otherwise enjoying completely satisfactory lives and I'm sure their joy in life is in no way less due to have push buttons and paddles a little more.

BdaGhisallo 09-09-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 2231242)
Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have been second guessing myself...

I have been on DI2 since I first got a hold of some 7970 DI2 components back in June 2009. I will NEVER go back to mechanical. DI2 has been rock solid and has performed flawlessly.

justaute 09-09-2017 11:12 AM

Love Di2.

Clean39T 09-09-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanternrouge (Post 2231267)
Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.

Try before you buy.

One consideration: the motors aren't silent. Be prepared for possible annoyance there. Of course, many couldn't care less...

Willy 09-09-2017 12:05 PM

I have Di2 paired with a Garmin 1000 which shows me the gears on the screen - never have to look down to see what gear I am in.

stien 09-09-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...

A 10 speed holdout!

Look up "long" battery mount. That goes under your cage.

If your rd dies and you haven't updated firmware, you can swap in 11s rd, chain, cassette and crank.

Zee 09-09-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stien (Post 2231328)
A 10 speed holdout!

Look up "long" battery mount. That goes under your cage.

If your rd dies and you haven't updated firmware, you can swap in 11s rd, chain, cassette and crank.

What if I told you I had a NIB 6770 backup...

I found a flow chart showcasing some new junction box is all I might need to get an internal battery integrated.

GonaSovereign 09-09-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 2231352)
What if I told you I had a NIB 6770 backup...

Where do you live?

shovelhd 09-09-2017 08:35 PM

There is no question.

choke 09-09-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Just because others feel that way doesn't mean you have to as well....build it however you want.

fogrider 09-09-2017 10:25 PM

I have one bike with Di2, one with mech DA and 4 bikes with mech campy. Di2 is good, but I don't need it on every bike. you should get it and decide for yourself.

rlanger 09-10-2017 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogrider (Post 2231403)
I have one bike with Di2, one with mech DA and 4 bikes with mech campy. Di2 is good, but I don't need it on every bike. you should get it and decide for yourself.

Yeah, if I had more than one bike it would definitely be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, I'm an n=1 guy.

And, do I really need it? No. Like I said, my current mechanical set up shifts flawlessly. But, I do ride my bike just about every single day (I don't even have a car, nor do I want one), so I think I just want my ride to be the best that I can make it.

Ok, so who's got an excellent condition DA 9000 Di2 upgrade kit they're looking to get rid of cheap!!!!! :)

alastairb 09-10-2017 04:01 AM

If running a sub optimal chainline is the major issue, surely you can hear the chain contacting the FD when in big/big and feel the drive chain slack when in small/small?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pavel 09-10-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger (Post 2231196)

Yes. As long as its this DI2.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...leur_C810.html

etu 09-11-2017 08:30 AM

Tried Di2 on a bike that I eventually sold. It's nice, but mechanical works just as well. It's one of those things IMO that you don't notice. If you're going to experiment on making your N=1 as best as it can be, I'd try something like carbon tubulars.

shovelhd 09-11-2017 08:49 AM

Sprint shifters. And don't compare them to Campy thumb tabs, it's not the same. :)

redir 09-11-2017 08:49 AM

When just last week the cable end snapped off in my 11 speed rear shifter and I had to watch youtube videos on how to rout the cable through the frame using magnets and trying to salvage the bar tape at the same time I cursed and cursed and cursed cables and swore I was going to DI2 in heartbeat #@$*&!!

Then I got it fixed and now I'm back too... Meh... it works.

Wasatch 09-11-2017 04:13 PM

I just built up a new bike with DA 9100 mechanical after using Di2 exclusively for three years. IMO Di2 is a "nice to have," not a "have to have."

With Di2 you gain:
Precise shifts, every single time
No cable stretch to worry about
The ability to fine tune shifting on the fly via the junction box and shift paddles
Rapid-fire downshifts and upshifts. You can dump an entire cassette very quickly just by holding the button down.
Clean lines without shifting cables running down your downtube

Potential downsides:
You lose a lot of the tactile feel that many of us enjoy
If you're a traditionalist, you obviously lose that aesthetic when going electronic
Your wallet gets lighter
Definitely not a major pain point since it is so infrequent, but you do have to remember to charge the battery

If it's in your budget, I say definitely go for it. But like I said above, IMO it's a "nice to have" and not a "have to have."

ptourkin 09-11-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 2231797)
Sprint shifters. And don't compare them to Campy thumb tabs, it's not the same. :)

The ability to change configurations with the electronic shifting is a big plus for me. I spend about two months with aero extensions on my road bike for an ultra event and with buttons attached to those bars and 5 port junction, I'm able to shift in the extensions without having anything permanently mounted for the other 10 months I'm riding that bike. Being able to shift (rear only) while staying down has been a big help. I wish I'd done it sooner.

Also, in extreme cold, shifts in Di2 are easier - you can do it in lobster mitts or whatever you use.

FlashUNC 09-11-2017 05:33 PM

I'd go with eTap personally.

solrider 09-12-2017 01:40 AM

new ultegra di2 vs old? pros and cons?

shovelhd 09-12-2017 06:41 AM

Define "new" and "old".

Bob Ross 09-12-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2231219)
I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.

^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't
:banana:

It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.

ptourkin 09-12-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 2232491)
^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't
:banana:

It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.

I finished a winter 200k in 34f temps using Di2 with my fingers almost in fists because I pulled the lining of my glove in past the fingers and couldn't/didn't sort it out. I don't personally think the two buttons are hard to distinguish with mittens. YMMV

chiasticon 09-12-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alastairb (Post 2231431)
If running a sub optimal chainline is the major issue, surely you can hear the chain contacting the FD when in big/big and feel the drive chain slack when in small/small?

that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.

alastairb 09-12-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiasticon (Post 2232498)
that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.

Agreed: I've got mechanical on one and electronic on the other. Find mechanical much more tactile, but I bore of changing cables and fine tuning indexing. "Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chiasticon 09-13-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alastairb (Post 2232524)
"Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....

sealed cables :banana:

Mark McM 09-13-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiasticon (Post 2232861)
sealed cables :banana:

I've switched almost entirely over to using sealed cable systems. As you say, they keep their performance for much longer than non-sealed systems. They are more expensive than non-sealed systems, but mechanical shifters/derailleurs plus a lifetime supply of sealed cables is still less expensive than electronic shifters/derailleurs.

jwd 09-13-2017 12:55 PM

I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Curious though, how long is the battery life on these?