The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What’s on your coffee bench? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=228951)

jkbrwn 12-21-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froze (Post 2850600)
Why would you spend at least $200 for a pour-over coffee maker when you can do the exact same thing for less than $25?

Consistency, automation, looks nice.

fmradio516 12-22-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froze (Post 2850600)
Why would you spend at least $200 for a pour-over coffee maker when you can do the exact same thing for less than $25?

I probably will get one eventually when i am sick and tired of doing my own pour overs every morning. I dream of the day where i can just push a button and i get a delicious cup of coffee at home. but im ok for now :)

Bentley 12-22-2020 07:43 AM

Mocamaster

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape (Post 2850479)
Has anyone here ever used a technivorm moccamaster?

I recommend...consistent coffee, basically a pour-over that operates itself.

That said... not cheap

simplemind 12-22-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape (Post 2850479)
Has anyone here ever used a technivorm moccamaster?

Yes, I have two (2 homes). They are really good for drip coffee IF you have a larger group. Their advantage is they get the water temp up in the right range.

For single or double use, a Clever Dripper is much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape (Post 2850603)
The same reason you buy an expensive bike.

LOL :bike:

scoobydrew 12-22-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmradio516 (Post 2850673)
I probably will get one eventually when i am sick and tired of doing my own pour overs every morning. I dream of the day where i can just push a button and i get a delicious cup of coffee at home. but im ok for now :)

Even better if you prepare it the night before and have it turn on with a timer/smart-plug in the morning.

soupless 12-22-2020 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I want a Chemex.
The Bonavita is surprisingly useful on busy mornings. Once I figured out how to use grind size to regulate extraction times things improved greatly. Not entirely as much flavor as a cup made in my v60 or Fellow, but much easier.

The encore is annoyingly slow and loud. I cover it with a towel for now because it makes my family mad at me. Maybe Santa will bring me a Fellow Ode.

jkbrwn 12-22-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupless (Post 2850866)
I think I want a Chemex.
The Bonavita is surprisingly useful on busy mornings. Once I figured out how to use grind size to regulate extraction times things improved greatly. Not entirely as much flavor as a cup made in my v60 or Fellow, but much easier.

The encore is annoyingly slow and loud. I cover it with a towel for now because it makes my family mad at me. Maybe Santa will bring me a Fellow Ode.

I’d steer clear of the Ode. Reviews haven’t been great with the current burr set. You could do better.

jtbadge 12-22-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froze (Post 2850458)
I've actually heard this before, not sure what to think of it though, espresso coffee shops keep popping up like flies on flypaper, so there must still be a market for it.

Pour-over coffee is cheap to buy the equipment for too. Who makes the best pour-over device? I personally think they're all virtually the same, just look at the designs and how they work I think proves that but people who think there is a difference seem to prefer Chemex over the others, but I think that's because it looks nicer than the others and not that it makes better pour-overs. I have two types, I have the Hario V60 for home and a GSI ultralight for camping, guess what? I can't tell the difference in the flavor of one coffee maker over the other! That leads me to believe that there isn't any difference, just buy one with high reviews, and the V60 gets a perfect 5 star from Amazon with over 3,000 reviews, so that says something about the V60, plus the V60 can be had in different colors and designs which is way cool if you want to look good in your particular kitchen.

I do like the taste of a pour-over coffee, but I like to change things up, so I rotate between the Pour Over, Aeropress, Moka Pot, French Press, Turkish, and Cold Brew. I know, that sounds crazy to have all those but they're all cheap to buy, they average about $25 each, as does the V60 pour-over. So I have about $150 in coffee makers, but instead of spending $400 for a manually operated espresso maker, I can make all sorts of different flavors from 6 different ways. All the ways I have are easy to make except for the Turkish one, that one is more time consuming and a bit more tricky to brew correctly.

I think the big difference for me with the Chemex vs other pourover systems is the thickness of the filters that is uses. Seems to round out the edges or mute the flavor a bit, which is nice for blends or less carefully roasted beans but also can take away some of the subtle notes of a finer single origin roast.

froze 12-22-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmradio516 (Post 2850673)

Well, it's a bit more than just pushing a button, like I said earlier it will take you about the same amount of time by machine as it will without it. Pour over is about as simple as coffee-making gets, followed by French Press and the Aeropress. Watch this video, it's the exact same thing I have to do with the V60, and note the time it takes to brew after you push the start button-6 minutes, it takes me 3 minutes to microwave the water, but while the water is heating up and preparing the V60 for coffee, so I'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone that the brew machine cannot do. Then it takes about 4 to 5 minutes to slowly pour the water over the grounds, I do this while I'm eating breakfast. So it's about the same amount of time and the same amount of work; so here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsLtc2EbWY

It looks like Kitchenaid won the best pour-over coffee maker award: https://www.everythingkitchens.com/t...ee-makers.html

Chris(NJ) 12-22-2020 06:51 PM

Still keeping it simple here. Hario V60, Hario kettle. Ceramic hand grinder. Camping trips I'm buying ground coffee but will bring the v60 and a french press along.

froze 12-22-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) (Post 2851135)
Still keeping it simple here. Hario V60, Hario kettle. Ceramic hand grinder. Camping trips I'm buying ground coffee but will bring the v60 and a french press along.

What kind of Camping? When I do RV camping I take either AeroPress or the Moka Pot, but I don't take either of those bike packing, they simply take up too much space.

I keep all my coffee making things simple as well if you've read my posts, I tried a lot more complicated processes at friends houses, but I didn't seem to think complicated devices were any better then what I was doing for a lot less money, then I hear stuff from people where they bought a $1,000 plus machines and 5 years later the pump goes bad, it's like complicated cars.

AngryScientist 12-22-2020 07:10 PM

i do pour-over 5 days a week, but have gotten used to using my old stovetop perk pot on the weekends for a change of pace. perked coffee is very good, and there is a notable difference between the coffee through the perk pot and one filtered through paper. not better/worse, but different.

variety is fun sometimes!

froze 12-23-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2851146)
i do pour-over 5 days a week, but have gotten used to using my old stovetop perk pot on the weekends for a change of pace. perked coffee is very good, and there is a notable difference between the coffee through the perk pot and one filtered through paper. not better/worse, but different.

variety is fun sometimes!

Yup, that's why I have so many different ways to make coffee.

Applesauce 12-23-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupless (Post 2850866)
The encore is annoyingly slow and loud. I cover it with a towel for now because it makes my family mad at me.

I empathize with your family, but they should get over it. For $150 or whatever, the Encore is impossible to beat.

MikeD 12-23-2020 12:17 PM

What’s on your coffee bench?

I got one of these coffee distributor / leveler tools. Works nice to get a level tamp, that I was struggling with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk