The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transgender woman wins UCI track championship (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=229215)

velomateo 10-15-2018 10:30 AM

Transgender woman wins UCI track championship

Here you go....

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/10/...omens-cycling/

livingminimal 10-15-2018 10:32 AM

cool, congrats to her!

jtbadge 10-15-2018 10:37 AM

The language in that linked story is hateful and gross.

Congratulations to her.

Aaron O 10-15-2018 10:41 AM

I don't know how to feel about this. I don't want to challenge/attack transgender...but I think it's also unfair competition.

jdp211 10-15-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtbadge (Post 2440730)
The language in that linked story is hateful and gross.

Congratulations to her.

No surprise, given that that site is part of The Daily Caller

speedevil 10-15-2018 10:44 AM

When applying for a USA cycling license, requiring a copy of the original birth certificate should be sufficient to stop this bullsh*t in it's tracks. Not a doctored-up one re-issued 20 years later, but the original. End of story.

R3awak3n 10-15-2018 10:47 AM

close this thread already. The way the website was delivered is already problematic with "here you go" as if he is feeding a steak to a bunch of hungry dogs.

Lets grow up... I know its Monday and its snowing in some places but get real.

Congratulations to her is all I need to say.

jtbadge 10-15-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3awak3n (Post 2440738)
close this thread already. The way the website was delivered is already problematic with "here you go" as if he is feeding a steak to a bunch of hungry dogs.

Lets grow up... I know its Monday and its snowing in some places but get real.

Congratulations to her is all I need to say.

+1. Only took six posts for the Paceline to turn into a drunk uncle's facebook account. Those attitudes need to stay away from this community.

William 10-15-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron O (Post 2440734)
I don't know how to feel about this. I don't want to challenge/attack transgender...but I think it's also unfair competition.

Just questioning something doesn't equate to attacking.

William

William 10-15-2018 10:51 AM

This topic can go off the rails very quickly. Short leash here so if you want to discuss without getting out of line...do so. Otherwise....

William

gasman 10-15-2018 10:51 AM

Let’s not go down the path of hate.

The link seems to do that already.

We’re done here unless it is very civil.

mktng 10-15-2018 10:52 AM

i dont know enough about this whole topic to really have a view on it.

i know alot of women who race locally, that i've asked, have no issues with racing against transgender women. its not like they are showing up and ripping legs off other women.

good for her.
being WC. just brings more light to the subject.

MattTuck 10-15-2018 10:52 AM

Even the most ardent supporter of LGBTQ rights can admit this raises at least a few issues related to competitiveness. No easy answers here, but I find people's vitriolic comments to be a) rude b) unhelpful in furthering a real dialog and c) mostly stupid.

She put in a ton of work and deserves the victory. Hopefully that victory is the result of hardwork and a fair playing field.

echappist 10-15-2018 10:52 AM

she may be one of the outliers who has gained such a physiological advantage as a formerly testosterone-producing man as to make the competition completely unfair. She once posted her sprint power numbers on another forum, and all of us were dumbfounded how we havent heard someone who’d give Kirsten Wild a royal run for the latter’s money. Her sprint power was either at the top of the w/kg charts or actually above it.

Boils down to the issue of dignity (for her per se) vs fairness of all of her competitors, who’d have a shot only if they were to take anabolic steroids (or have chosen better parents than Kirsten Wild did)

nooneline 10-15-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron O (Post 2440734)

Science disagrees. There are rigorous standards for hormonal levels of trans participants that are set by the IOC - many, in fact, feel that they are an extremely conservative overreach to more than ensure that it's NOT unfair competition. The 101 version is that hormonal transition results in loss of physiological benefits (bone density and musculature) that are associated with previous exposure to male hormones.