The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   UCI World Championships (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=258632)

nooneline 09-24-2020 11:13 AM

Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.

jpw 09-24-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nooneline (Post 2800612)
Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.

That's the worst pro cycling injury I've ever seen. Hopefully it's just a 'degloving' of skin from muscle and bone.

Elefantino 09-24-2020 12:14 PM

Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.

Beldar77 09-24-2020 12:16 PM

really bad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 2800664)
Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.

Yeah this injury is pretty bad hopefully not as bad as Taylor's.

pritchet74 09-24-2020 01:30 PM

Ya, hopefully more of a WvA injury than a Mini Phinney injury

72gmc 09-24-2020 01:45 PM

Sure looked like some form of mechanical failure. Not sure how she could have ridden that out any better than she did.

rain dogs 09-24-2020 01:59 PM

I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?

Nick12 09-24-2020 03:10 PM

Oh man.. that looks very painful. It does look like a mechanical with the front wheel.

prototoast 09-24-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain dogs (Post 2800727)
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?

If I were to guess, some volunteer who has no experience riding bikes at race speed is told to "put up barriers on the corner" and they drive out to the corner and put barriers around the point where the road bends the most, without understanding the path that riders will take through it.

It really was a tragic injury that could have been greatly reduced if only the barriers had been positioned better.

m_sasso 09-24-2020 03:54 PM

Never cared for Zipp wheels and even less so now.

trener1 09-24-2020 04:14 PM

Yep, what you are saying is on Point and totally makes sense.
I sure hope that she can recover more like WvA and less like Phinney.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain dogs (Post 2800727)
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?


glepore 09-24-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_sasso (Post 2800819)
Never cared for Zipp wheels and even less so now.

I'd reserve judgement on the wheel for a bit-yes, that was a hell of a wobble but the wheel didn't look collapsed when I froze the video of the bike going over the guardrail. Could have been a full or partial steerer failure, of something in the stem/bars, or even a severe speed wobble.

Red Tornado 09-24-2020 04:50 PM

I'm going with speed wobble for now.

Is it normal for TT'ers to take high speed corners on the aero bars instead of the handlebars? Looked like she was on the Aeros the whole time. Could that have caused speed wobble?

Totally agree on padding placement. Didn't go nearly far enough through the corner. IMO padding should start just prior to the corner (looks like it did) and end past the exit; how far past depends on the curve. Better safe than sorry. Another case of rider safety compromised.

Mark McM 09-24-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glepore (Post 2800835)
I'd reserve judgement on the wheel for a bit-yes, that was a hell of a wobble but the wheel didn't look collapsed when I froze the video of the bike going over the guardrail. Could have been a full or partial steerer failure, of something in the stem/bars, or even a severe speed wobble.

Yeah, I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the wheel - it appeared intact and didn't appear to be flexing. Also, the tire didn't appear to be sliding on the road, the front of the bike was going left and right because the front wheel was steering left and right. Very odd.

reuben 09-24-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nooneline (Post 2800612)
Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.

I found one elsewhere. As previously mentioned, it looks like her left knee was attacked by a shark.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.