The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why have you shipped via Bikeflights.com? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=242040)

stephenmarklay 09-05-2019 06:35 AM

Why have you shipped via Bikeflights.com?

I have shipped a few bikes with this service but I am wondering what you guys may have shipped.

I read through there rules and it says bike gear as well.

Are you guys shipping smaller stuff with them as well?

Shipping has gotten so expensive it does not make a lot of sense to ship things anymore but bike flights mitigates some of this for bikes so it would be great to be able to use them for small bike stuff.

Cicli 09-05-2019 06:55 AM

I have shipped all sorts of stuff. Even non bike items.

oldpotatoe 09-05-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay (Post 2589595)
I have shipped a few bikes with this service but I am wondering what you guys may have shipped.

I read through there rules and it says bike gear as well.

Are you guys shipping smaller stuff with them as well?

Shipping has gotten so expensive it does not make a lot of sense to ship things anymore but bike flights mitigates some of this for bikes so it would be great to be able to use them for small bike stuff.

I've used it hundreds of times for bike wheels..either a pair or a single. GREAT customer service(2 damaged shipments..almost instant $ sent). Pretty sure you can send other bike stuff but email this gent and ask.

BUT with an account, easy, simple..

support@bikeflights.com

Spaghetti Legs 09-05-2019 08:00 AM

Pretty much anything bigger than a USPS Priority medium box, I’ll consider bikeflights or shipbikes. I almost never ship non bike stuff but last time I used shipbikes it was for loaded handlebar bag for a tour and a bunch or beer for my advance crew.

Ozz 09-05-2019 08:00 AM

Shipped a wheel truing stand and a 2 bike add on for a Thule T2 bike rack....no problem at all.

stephenmarklay 09-05-2019 08:44 AM

That is great news. I appreciate the input. Thank you for the customer service email sir.

tbike4 09-05-2019 08:46 AM

I sold a wheel set and a group from a used bike recently. Shipped both on BF. Not sure they care what's in the box as long as it's legal. I don't think they will open the box to see if it's a Chorus 11 group or 8 bags of beef jerky.

Malinois 09-05-2019 08:48 AM

Beyond all the usual items, I’ve used BikeFlights to send a KICKR Climb. Basically just a big box, but it was no problem. I’ll agree that their customer service is very solid, they seem like good folks.

Was a little concerned right after their switch from FedEx to UPS as their domestic carrier but those worries were unfounded. Everything’s been great except that the local UPS Store is further away from me than the FedEx drop-off. Of course, ymmv.

oldpotatoe 09-05-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malinois (Post 2589635)
Beyond all the usual items, I’ve used BikeFlights to send a KICKR Climb. Basically just a big box, but it was no problem. I’ll agree that their customer service is very solid, they seem like good folks.

Was a little concerned right after their switch from FedEx to UPS as their domestic carrier but those worries were unfounded. Everything’s been great except that the local UPS Store is further away from me than the FedEx drop-off. Of course, ymmv.

Thought so for me too until I see Staples is a UPS dropoff point just like Kinkos was for FedEx...No issues because of the FedEx->UPS swap..

Malinois 09-05-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2589640)
Thought so for me too until I see Staples is a UPS dropoff point just like Kinkos was for FedEx...No issues because of the FedEx->UPS swap..

I didn’t know that Staples was an option. Good info, thanks!

Gsinill 09-05-2019 09:52 AM

I actually used them to have some very heavy parts for a milling machine shipped to me.
Box was roughly 20x20x15 and over 70lb.
I was prepared for BF questioning the content but they didn't.
This was prior to the switch to UPS.

stackie 09-05-2019 12:36 PM

I shipped a coffee grinder. Compak K10. Pretty big and heavy by the time it was packed. Definitely saved money over regular usps or ups.

Jon

Ken Robb 09-05-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbike4 (Post 2589634)
I sold a wheel set and a group from a used bike recently. Shipped both on BF. Not sure they care what's in the box as long as it's legal. I don't think they will open the box to see if it's a Chorus 11 group or 8 bags of beef jerky.

The security dogs will know! :banana:

dookie 09-05-2019 01:31 PM

Be sure to read their terms of service. They will ship anything, but if there's an issue they exclude coverage for anything non-bike.

I didn't realize and used them to ship some electronics, which were damaged. They were completely unwilling to help.

stephenmarklay 09-05-2019 02:02 PM

Yes there are limits and you are not supposed to ship items unrelated to bikes from what I understand.

I will only be shipping bike related stuff myself.

I have a heavy bike rack that I had mounted on my BMW motorcycle. The bike is gone and it is time to give it a new home. But the weight would have been to expensive otherwise.