The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   list of comfort / sport geometry frames (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11999)

ashwinearl 10-20-2005 10:10 AM

list of comfort / sport geometry frames

I'm thinking of a new frame designed around a more upright position but still a fast machine.

Here is the list I've got so far, any other would be appreciated.

-Fierte
-Specialized Roubaix
-Trek Pilot
-Gunnar Sport
-Custom of course (Strong, Curtlo, Desalvo top of list)

thanks

palincss 10-20-2005 10:45 AM

That pretty much describes all the Rivendell models, and the Tournesol customs as well.

dauwhe 10-20-2005 10:46 AM

Rivendell Rambouillet
Rivendell Romulus/Redwood
Rivendell Saluki (650B)
Rivendell/QBP Bleriot (650B, not yet available)
Kogswell (is it the model P?)

all of the above are lugged steel

cdmc 10-20-2005 11:16 AM

Double Post.

cdmc 10-20-2005 11:20 AM

Giant OCR Models.

Kind of in the middle but the Titus Modena uses a traditional headset that gives it about a 20mm taller headtube than the Trek and Specialized race bikes. Additionally it has 415 chainstays which are 5-8mm longer than most race bikes. This gives you a bike between the newer comfort models and the "traditional" race geometry bikes.

Keep in mind when looking at headtube lengths that you need to add 20-25mm to an integrated headtube to end up with the same length as a traditional press in headset. (Headset stack for integrated is approx 8mm, stack for a traditional press in is appox 30mm).

OldDog 10-20-2005 12:22 PM

I'm thinking for myself a Riv Saluki. It just makes sense for me, as more and more of my riding is down pretty country <dirt> roads. I'll never give up my pure road bikes, because, their fun. But to just go out and meander, go anywhere and not worry about skinny tires, thin spokes, etc. Again, it just makes sense.

ashwinearl 10-20-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc
Giant OCR Models.

Kind of in the middle but the Titus Modena uses a

Thanks for this suggestion, I quite like the look of this one.

Fixed 10-20-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinearl
I'm thinking of a new frame designed around a more upright position but still a fast machine.

-Fierte
-Specialized Roubaix
-Trek Pilot
-Gunnar Sport

thanks

bro do the Fierte i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

BarryG 10-20-2005 01:17 PM

Litespeed Veneto - discontinued in '05, but NOS still available. Definitely meets your criteria.

Serotta PETE 10-20-2005 02:54 PM

-Fierte
-Specialized Roubaix
- CIII (yes you can still get it BUT name might be different.) CUSTOM

Advantage of "custom fit" is that you can have it exactly the way you want for the type ride.

Another suggestion is to get sized by a good fitter and than compare the specs to the bikes/frames you are considering,

PETE

davids 10-20-2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

-Fierte
-Specialized Roubaix
-Trek Pilot
-Gunnar Sport

thanks

I'd add the Cannondale Synapse to the list. I liked it more than the Roubaix, and any other 'mainstream' full carbon bike I've ridden. But not as much as the Fierte.

I didn't find the Fierte to be particularly "upright", but I sure did love how it felt and handled!

eddief 10-20-2005 05:14 PM

Merlin Solis

Hello Tom Kellog,

Can't tell you how many times I've thought that the Solis is the off the rack ti comfort bike of choice. Maybe the only one along with the Veneto. I've considered it many times, but just can't get past the aesthetics of the integrated headset. So many nice design touches on that bike, but the bulbous headtube completely blows it for me. I bet it rides really great too.

ashwinearl 10-20-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon
-Fierte
-Specialized Roubaix
- CIII (yes you can still get it BUT name might be different.) CUSTOM

Advantage of "custom fit" is that you can have it exactly the way you want for the type ride.

Another suggestion is to get sized by a good fitter and than compare the specs to the bikes/frames you are considering,

PETE

Actually that's why I am looking. My current custom lugged steed now has this fugly stem that is longer and high rise. Don't like the look.

Serotta PETE 10-20-2005 06:13 PM

Try a sloping top tube and tell the fitter you do not want one of those short stems that races toward the sky. I agree that they present a less than stellar (fugly) picture. I have seen many of them and can only assume that the customer or builder did not like the sloping top tube solution. With threadless you have only two solutions - - One the stem or Two the sloping TT. There are no other options to get you in the more upright position.

I am not a fitter but it you put a drawing on paper you have to raise the front end to get the bars higher. This is done via (STEM), (TT slope)

- - or a very high parallel to the ground TT - which could be somewhat uncomfortable if you had to get off bike in a hurry.

Pete

vaxn8r 10-20-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davids
I'd add the Cannondale Synapse to the list. I liked it more than the Roubaix, and any other 'mainstream' full carbon bike I've ridden. But not as much as the Fierte.

I didn't find the Fierte to be particularly "upright", but I sure did love how it felt and handled!

I'll have to disagree on this one. The HT on the Synapse is the same size as on the CAAD8. The frame may be geared a bit more for comfort but it's still race bike geometry and one could easily race the Synapse.The Roubaix OTOH definitley brings a larger HT into play for more upright riding.

Tom Kellogg 10-21-2005 08:37 AM

Ugly head tube gone!

Eddie:
For the '06 Solis, the internal headsets are gone now. Actually, Merlin has gotten rid of all of those ugly head tubes on their Ti frames, FINALLY. The only one left is the Proteus (full carbon frame).
Are they in shops yet? I don't know. Merlin has been shipping the new Works frames for some time now but I don't know if the new Solis is shipping yet. You can call your dealer and have them ask their rep if they are available.

ashwinearl 10-21-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon
Try a sloping top tube and tell the fitter you do not want one of those short stems that races toward the sky. I agree that they present a less than stellar (fugly) picture. I have seen many of them and can only assume that the customer or builder did not like the sloping top tube solution. With threadless you have only two solutions - - One the stem or Two the sloping TT. There are no other options to get you in the more upright position.

I am not a fitter but it you put a drawing on paper you have to raise the front end to get the bars higher. This is done via (STEM), (TT slope)

- - or a very high parallel to the ground TT - which could be somewhat uncomfortable if you had to get off bike in a hurry.

Pete

Yes I agree upsloping top tube is what I'm looking for. But that is different than compact geometry, so it is hard to differentiate between a pure compact frame and one that upslopes to provide a higher bar.

There is also the option of lots of spacers on the steerer tube, which doesn't look good either to me.

Fixed 10-21-2005 12:21 PM

Bro I'm just a dumb bike messenger but I'd say any classic steel bike that fits would fit the bill.Cheers :beer:

BarryG 10-21-2005 12:58 PM

sg8357 10-21-2005 01:09 PM

Here are a couple geometry samples for racing bikes, borrowed from
Mr. Chuck Schmidt.
Bianchi Racing bikes, just like Fausto rode. The saddle was mounted
well forward usually giving a steeper effective seat angle.
Me, I'd take a Legend Ti in the 1950 geo, wonder if Serotta could
do Paris-Roubaix dropouts ?

Scott G.

1939 Bianchi #718923-0
(c to c)
Seat Tube -- 54.0cm
Top Tube -- 58.0cm
BB drop -- 8.0cm
Chain Stay -- 46.0cm
Wheel base -- 110.0cm
Seat Tube < -- 71.5°
Head Tube < -- 70.0°
Fork Rake -- 8.0cm
Trail -- 4.0cm*
*wheel dia. 68.5cm

1950 Bianchi Folgorissima #287197 (P-R derailleur)
(c to c) Seat Tube -- 57.0cm
Top Tube -- 57.0cm
BB drop -- 8.2cm
Chain Stay -- 45.0cm
Wheel base -- 104.0cm
Seat Tube < -- 73.00°
Head Tube < -- 74.25°
Fork Rake -- 6.0cm
Trail -- 3.4cm* *wheel dia. 68.5cm

Litespeeder 10-21-2005 01:20 PM

IMO, the Gunnar is the best sport bike on you list. I would also add these two bikes as well

Cannondale Synapse - Great for racing, more upright and very comfortable
Kelly Bone Stock - steel, inexpensive, upright and can be used for racing

:bike:

cdmc 10-21-2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Yes I agree upsloping top tube is what I'm looking for. But that is different than compact geometry, so it is hard to differentiate between a pure compact frame and one that upslopes to provide a higher bar.

There is also the option of lots of spacers on the steerer tube, which doesn't look good either to me.

The only difference between a compact frame (aka sloping toptube) and a "traditional" frame is that the toptube is at an angle to the ground. You can have traditional frames with tall headtubes and short headtubes. Same for "compact" frames. People want to make it more complicated, but it really is that simple.

vaxn8r 10-21-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litespeeder

Cannondale Synapse - Great for racing, more upright and very comfortable....

:bike:

Said it before....HT length on a Synapse is almost identical to the HT on a CAAD 8 (within mm). It's not more upright. Synapse is not the same idea as a Roubaix or Pilot.

ashwinearl 10-21-2005 08:12 PM

Soma Smoothie ES

is another I came across if anyone else is following this thread.