The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wow -- best rant in a long time DCRainmaker lets loose on Shimano (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=270001)

teleguy57 06-10-2021 11:09 AM

Wow -- best rant in a long time DCRainmaker lets loose on Shimano

Grab your popcorn as this goes viral.

Most amazing and well-written rant I'm seen in quite a while...

FlashUNC 06-10-2021 11:14 AM

#thanksshimano

claytramey 06-10-2021 11:41 AM

But hey at least they released a coffee table book for their 100th year anniversary.

"Should we release a wireless groupset... Nah give them the coffee table book"

duff_duffy 06-10-2021 11:48 AM

That was a fun read. Glad it does not apply to me. I like the quote at the end:
“With that, I’ll end on a Japanese proverb that seems appropriate: “If you understand everything, you must be misinformed”

unterhausen 06-10-2021 11:56 AM

This is what I would expect from Shimano, but I was a little surprised he uses a Pioneer. The way the fitness industry works, this is typical for buyouts. And in general, it's best not to buy anything at all that depends on a company maintaining a remote server. Say what you want about Garmin, but their devices work just fine never connecting to the internet.

KJMUNC 06-10-2021 12:01 PM

oh man, that was a great read while I sip my coffee.....sucks for him and all the other Pioneer users, but honestly, I don't know a single person with one of these. I'm sure he has many other platforms at his disposal.....doesn't change the fact that it's a mess though.

A1A 06-10-2021 12:25 PM

That was the most remarkably entertaining script I've read in a long time, it's like " please tell us how you really feel Ray!" Awesome, kind of a "shock and awe"... Just another Shima-no! moment...

prototoast 06-10-2021 12:33 PM

I remember last year, after Shimano bought Pioneer, there were some really great sale prices on Pioneer power meters and computers (dual sided power meters for barely more than the cranks cost on their own). I was very tempted at the time, but resisted over concerns that they might not be supported well by Shimano if I had any issues down the road.

Well, turns out they were supported even worse than I had imagined, so now feel good about my decision.

robt57 06-10-2021 12:35 PM

Enough/plenty level of BS the folks that use will not re-task and a segment of users for this will just say I had enough. 1/2/3 less things to keep charged anyway...

You have to think this was the plan upon the Pioneer purchase...
Well, I have to. ;)

MattTuck 06-10-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 2940199)
I remember last year, after Shimano bought Pioneer, there were some really great sale prices on Pioneer power meters and computers (dual sided power meters for barely more than the cranks cost on their own). I was very tempted at the time, but resisted over concerns that they might not be supported well by Shimano if I had any issues down the road.

Well, turns out they were supported even worse than I had imagined, so now feel good about my decision.

It's funny. I've been pretty out of the loop over the last few years, since my twins were born, and starting to ride more recently. I was searching for pioneer powermeters and couldn't find them... turns out I missed this whole fiasco.

So, if not the pioneer for Dual sided power.... what do people like now?

trener1 06-10-2021 12:56 PM

Wow this is pretty nuts, I actually had a Pioneer computer last year, when the sale was announced I called Pioneer and they said not to worry, Shimano would be continuing to support the line, but I had a bad feeling and sold it...

trener1 06-10-2021 12:58 PM

If you want Crank based, Quarq, Power2max, FSA Powerbox.

Or Favaro Asiamo or Garmin Vector pedals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 2940205)
It's funny. I've been pretty out of the loop over the last few years, since my twins were born, and starting to ride more recently. I was searching for pioneer powermeters and couldn't find them... turns out I missed this whole fiasco.

So, if not the pioneer for Dual sided power.... what do people like now?

unterhausen 06-10-2021 01:00 PM

The power meters aren't ant+? That seems like it would be a big warning sign, if true.

trener1 06-10-2021 01:11 PM

The basic power data from what I understand are ant+ so those should continue to work on any Garmin/Whaoo etc.. head unit, however Pioneer had some advanced metrics that other power meters don't have and those are only visible on the Pioneer head units.

BobbyJones 06-10-2021 01:27 PM

Never ever buy anything that has to "call home" to function.

It's rarely worth the frustration.