The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vintage Colorado Ti: how's the ride? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78709)

phcollard 09-15-2010 04:42 PM

Vintage Colorado Ti: how's the ride?

I have posted a WTB for a classic steel frame in the other section. I got a few offers and one for a 1999 vintage Colorado Ti. I believe this was Serotta's first venture into Ti? Pardon my ignorance :rolleyes:

Look: I am totally sold on vintage Serotta bikes. They are the most beautiful thing on earth (besides the wife).

Ride: there are almost no Serotta's around here in Montreal and I am sure nobody has a Colorado Ti so I would like to ask your opinion if you are one lucky owner... how would you describe the ride? I currently have a Merckx Corsa SL and a <insert low cost Ti brand from TN here> level 3.

Thanks a lot and cheers!

AndrewS 09-15-2010 05:47 PM

I have not ridden such a bike, but I will pass on something I read by Tom Kellogg on the Spectrum site.
Quote:

The Serotta titanium is a good one to look at. Ben Serotta wanted to come up with a titanium frame that had many of the qualities of his well-known and respected steel frames. In general and to his credit, he succeeded pretty well.
http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/62.htm

Serotta has made ti since 1993, btw.

Pete Serotta 09-15-2010 06:33 PM

YEs the early 90s was when it was first made.... WHat size is the frame and what fork is on it. If it is an F1 fork - - should be a wonderful ride almost like steel. If it was the aluminum fork, i had one once and immediately switched it out after the first fast down hill. If Ouzo PRO that is also a very nice fork.

Last item if F1 fork, a 25mm tire sometimes has a difficult time not rubbing BUT a 23 works well and a 25 works well on the back.

Any other questions send them to me and I will find out. If David Kirk replies it is for sure,,,,As is Tom Kellogg reply/words.

PETE

93legendti 09-15-2010 06:55 PM

I had a '93 and wish I still had it-smooth, just right stiffness and rock solid descending- I had it up to 55mph in Utah.

dvs cycles 09-15-2010 07:03 PM

I have my 1995 that started with a threaded Time carbon fork and now a Reynold Ouzo Pro.
Currently have 99799 miles on it with 100K expected sometime next week.
I don't know what's most important, that I put 100k mile on one bike or that the same Cateye Wireless II has lasted over 15 years. :beer:

phcollard 09-15-2010 07:16 PM

Pete it's a 55cm square with an F1 fork. 1998 or 1999 vintage.

What worries me is that as it is a first generation Ti it might be too "soft"? I don't know for Serotta - I guess the Colorado Concept tubing helps - but I know some Ti bikes from that era from other manufacturer were qualified as... cough cough... noodles! (sorry no offense to anyone)

That being said I am not the ultra sportive rider. 175lbs for 5'9'' and I am not after ultra performance. I'm just the guy who immensely enjoys a nice ride with friends on a nice bike!

phcollard 09-15-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvs cycles
I don't know what's most important, that I put 100k mile on one bike or that the same Cateye Wireless II has lasted over 15 years. :beer:

I cannot answer for most important but I think it's pretty cool :beer:

Peter P. 09-15-2010 07:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Bicycling Magazine featuring what I believe was Serotta's first foray in titanium. The frame was bare ti with a red, STEEL fork, not aluminum or carbon. The article said something about the fork choice being Serotta's desire to keep the overall ride of the frame close to that of their steel bikes.

chuckroast 09-15-2010 07:33 PM

Data Point

I might be your guy. I currently have a '98 CTI with Colorado Concept tubing and an F1 fork. It is my everyday bike and I'm not likely to ever sell it.

The ride is great, all day comfortable, quiet, smooth and plenty sprightly enough for my level of talent. It doesn't show a bit of wear and will likely see a couple of more owners after I'm gone.

Here's a picture. I love this bike.

93legendti 09-15-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter P.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Bicycling Magazine featuring what I believe was Serotta's first foray in titanium. The frame was bare ti with a red, STEEL fork, not aluminum or carbon. The article said something about the fork choice being Serotta's desire to keep the overall ride of the frame close to that of their steel bikes.

I have the issue here-like my bike had, it has a red, aluminum Prologue fork.
The review in the Dec. 1993 issue of Winning had a Kestrel EMS fork mated to the ti frame.
BG did a review in October 1994. That legend ti had a Kinesis alu fork.

Marcusaurelius 09-15-2010 09:35 PM

I had a 1995-1996 Colorado Ti and it rode very well with a F1 carbon fork. I was luck enough to find a threadless F1 forkl (I don't have a great supply of threaded stems).

DavidR 09-15-2010 10:25 PM

I had an earlier Colorado ti. It was and will continue to be a great bike. Proven design.

titans 09-16-2010 08:16 AM

1998, 1999 First Generation?

No as the first Serotta Ti bikes came out in 93/94 with an EMS red fork (as someone else noted). I had one of the earliest ones made and put a gazillion miles on it. You won't be dissappointed regardless of what generation it is. I may be nuts but I prefer the welds back then better than what you see today. They were almost invisible. :) Good luck!