The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is there any reason to leave these damn things on my bike? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=247779)

EPOJoe 02-20-2020 01:29 PM

Is there any reason to leave these damn things on my bike?

1 Attachment(s)
They're constantly coming loose and rattling, and then there's always the possibility I can kill the tube by over tightening them after I inflate. Is there any reason to keep one of these valve nuts on the valve?

Mark McM 02-20-2020 01:33 PM

I find that valve nuts make excellent water bottle cage spacers, in those cases where the bottle cage would otherwise interfere with the front derailleur clamp band.

Other than that, I haven't found a use for them.

redir 02-20-2020 01:41 PM

IF you have a Silca style push on pump head they are usefull as they hold the valve in place as you push the head on. And that was me trying real hard to find at least one excuse to use them. I do like to keep the caps on my MTB and cross bikes to keep the mud out though.

makoti 02-20-2020 01:45 PM

Sometimes they help stop that annoying ticking sound the valves can make on some wheels

joosttx 02-20-2020 01:49 PM

I have always felt they help protect the tube from being cut by the rim hole where the stem and the tube meet.

Dave 02-20-2020 01:53 PM

I always use no thread valve stems. The pump goes on much more easily. Nuts are not an option.

bicycletricycle 02-20-2020 01:59 PM

They are nice spacers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McM (Post 2660839)
I find that valve nuts make excellent water bottle
cage spacers, in those cases where the bottle cage would otherwise interfere with the front derailleur clamp band.

Other than that, I haven't found a use for them.

FriarQuade 02-20-2020 02:10 PM

When I ran a service department I would try my best to source tubes with smooth valves so customers couldn't use those things or ask for them.

weiwentg 02-20-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 2660843)
IF you have a Silca style push on pump head they are usefull as they hold the valve in place as you push the head on. And that was me trying real hard to find at least one excuse to use them. I do like to keep the caps on my MTB and cross bikes to keep the mud out though.

I realize the OP has traditional tubed clinchers, but for the tubeless crowd, these are pretty much essential, right? Because otherwise, there's nothing but air pressure holding the valve stem up.

charliedid 02-20-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weiwentg (Post 2660868)
I realize the OP has traditional tubed clinchers, but for the tubeless crowd, these are pretty much essential, right? Because otherwise, there's nothing but air pressure holding the valve stem up.

Sorta yes.

But you use a completely different valve as you likely know.

seanile 02-20-2020 03:07 PM

ive seen someone push the pump's head onto the stem and dislodge the bead because the stem acted as a battering ram against the inside of the tire. they didn't realize it, made it out the door, and blew that tube pretty quickly.

redir 02-20-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weiwentg (Post 2660868)

I do have tubless MTB wheels but that stem does seem to be in there pretty tight, but that's a good point that I had not considered.

SlowPokePete 02-20-2020 03:37 PM

Not really a reason for that black plastic cap either.

btw when I run tubes i like Michelins b/c they aren't threaded.

SPP

mistermo 02-20-2020 05:12 PM

I had some carbon rims where the valve rattled on the rough roads. These things tightened it down. No more rattling.

OtayBW 02-20-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermo (Post 2660960)
I had some carbon rims where the valve rattled on the rough roads. These things tightened it down. No more rattling.

I just bought a set of carbon wheels that came with a couple of rubber grommets to center the valve stem. Haven't tried it, but then I've always just gone with a bare stem. We'll see....