The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DT Swiss rims - what are they thinking??? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126685)

67-59 03-23-2013 09:11 AM

DT Swiss rims - what are they thinking???

So I've just spent 45 minutes trying to mount a GP 4000s tire on a new DT Swiss RR 465 rim. I've been using the GP 4000s for years on OP rims, and have never had a problem mounting a tire in a couple of minutes. I decided to give the DTs a try after hearing from numerous sources that they are higher quality, more precise rims. Now, 45 minutes later, the first tire I've tried to mount still isn't fully on...and at this rate it could be another 45 minutes of wrestling. My thumbs are cracking.

I've tried everything I know about how to stretch a tire over a rim, with no success. There has to be a trick, or DT would've been out of business years ago...right? Anyone want to share the DT club secret with me?

What on earth do people do when they're out on a road and get a flat with these wheels...or is that just not an option?

gomango 03-23-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67-59 (Post 1317392)
So I've just spent 45 minutes trying to mount a GP 4000s tire on a new DT Swiss RR 465 rim. I've been using the GP 4000s for years on OP rims, and have never had a problem mounting a tire in a couple of minutes. I decided to give the DTs a try after hearing from numerous sources that they are higher quality, more precise rims. Now, 45 minutes later, the first tire I've tried to mount still isn't fully on...and at this rate it could be another 45 minutes of wrestling. My thumbs are cracking.

I've tried everything I know about how to stretch a tire over a rim, with no success. There has to be a trick, or DT would've been out of business years ago...right? Anyone want to share the DT club secret with me?

What on earth do people do when they're out on a road and get a flat with these wheels...or is that just not an option?

I am with you on this matter.

Buy a couple of Kool Stop tire bead jacks.

You will win a major victory over problem rims.

I did, even with the dreaded Challenge Parigi Roubaixs.

thirdgenbird 03-23-2013 09:17 AM

I've got dt 585 rims and recall them being downright easy in comparison to my Campagnolo or wheelsmith accelerator rims.

SPOKE 03-23-2013 09:18 AM

Talc (baby powder) the tube and inside of the tire. It really helps with getting the last bit of tire to slide over the rim during install.

cmbicycles 03-23-2013 09:33 AM

Make sure the last section of tire you try to put on is at the valve stem, that way you can squeeze the tire bead into the slightly shallower middle section of the rim all the way around to give yourself all the extra space you can manage.

oldpotatoe 03-23-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67-59 (Post 1317392)

THIN rim strips, make sure the first side is in the center, deepest. Yep, these and 415 are challenging. 440 don't seem to have the issue.

bluesea 03-23-2013 09:50 AM

I like tight rims and 4000s'. My Neutrons are a couple of notches tighter than my 465s.

buldogge 03-23-2013 10:25 AM

Yeah...The older Nucleons are the hardest rims I've ever mounted tires on...especially combined with Conti GP4000s!

Schwalbe Ultremo ZXs are easier to mount and ride great...but...they are more fragile than the Contis.

In addition to talc, you can always throw the tires in the dryer on low for a few minutes...

Additionally, the steel-cored park levers usually finish the job if needed.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesea (Post 1317417)
I like tight rims and 4000s'. My Neutrons are a couple of notches tighter than my 465s.

Len J 03-23-2013 10:35 AM

In the last week I've changed tires (Pro4's) on both DT and neutrons..........the neutrons came closest to beating me.

Len

soulspinner 03-23-2013 11:37 AM

Talc and if yer home throw the tires in the dryer for a few minutes. Outside on cold days with flats i have trouble with my arthritic hands with my 415 and 465 rims.

jpw 03-23-2013 11:50 AM

wheel in freezer, tire in oven.

soulspinner 03-23-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpw (Post 1317462)
wheel in freezer, tire in oven.

:)

rphetteplace 03-23-2013 12:21 PM

ride Michelins :)

bluesea 03-23-2013 01:00 PM

The last time I helped with a flat out on the road, trying to get the first bead on, the whole tire kept falling off the rim. The first bead on a 4000s' snaps* in the Neutrons to where you can forget about adjusting your labels even just a smidge.

beestee 03-23-2013 01:18 PM

it's likely you had a very forgiving rim prior to this. conti's are tight across the line. with virtually every other brand of tire, bare hands is fine, but conti's are way easier with a tire lever. in my mechanic days i couldn't even mount new ones without a lever.

at least you don't have a campy rim. those things are outta control...