The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Classifieds (Cycling Products) (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PSA's - GOOD DEALS - BARN FINDS !!!...!!!...!!! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=232021)

prototoast 12-03-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 3018754)
Something I’ve always wondered: isn’t an “extra light” frame with a 44mm head tube a bit of an oxymoron? In order to make the a ti frame stiffer, you have to have beefier tubes, ergo…not as light. Stiffer, yes. Lighter, no. Or am I missing something?

"Extralight" is a branding term that has no technical meaning. Its lineage in the Merlin lineup traces back to the 1990s. At the time, it was a lighter frame than the regular road model they offered. Now, it is the only road model the current iteration of Merlin offers, so there's no point of reference.

You appear to be making up a reference point with a different headtube because you've been fixated on head tube diameter lately, but your question could have been just as easily formulated as "isn't an 'extra light' titanium frame an oxymoron since carbon frames can be made so much lighter?"

Yeah, it's clearly not the lightest possible frame they could have made, but they're making no explicit claims to that effect. It's just a brand name they threw on a frame because they thought it might help it sell better than if they named it the Merlin Crapmachine.

m_sasso 12-03-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 3018763)
Yes.

Sad to see those abominations, once names that stood for quality bicycles.

XXtwindad 12-03-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 3018764)
"Extralight" is a branding term that has no technical meaning. Its lineage in the Merlin lineup traces back to the 1990s. At the time, it was a lighter frame than the regular road model they offered. Now, it is the only road model the current iteration of Merlin offers, so there's no point of reference.

You appear to be making up a reference point with a different headtube because you've been fixated on head tube diameter lately, but your question could have been just as easily formulated as "isn't an 'extra light' titanium frame an oxymoron since carbon frames can be made so much lighter?"

Yeah, it's clearly not the lightest possible frame they could have made, but they're making no explicit claims to that effect. It's just a brand name they threw on a frame because they thought it might help it sell better than if they named it the Merlin Crapmachine.

It’s really all I think about lately. Along with what exactly Meat Loaf wouldn’t do for love. Also: "roundabouts," the actress Melanie Laurent, and the color taupe.

cnighbor1 12-03-2021 03:56 PM

Vintage Woodrup Giro-Touring bike - $600
 
2 Attachment(s)
12/03/2021

Vintage Woodrup Giro-Touring bike with some Campagnolo Record components - $600 and a TA Crankset
Text 3 0 3 - 5 2 3 - 9 1 9 6.
Built in Leeds England. This great road bike actually has 3 chain rings, and the super low gear(see pic #7) is low enough for any hills you'll encounter ! Beautifully lugged frame. Brand NEW tires have never been ridden on yet, just installed before I listed the bike. Campagnolo hubs, also has Campagnolo brakes, handles, rear derailleur, shift levers, seat post, pedals, etc, etc. Real Brooks saddle that IS broken in so you won't have to!! Really unique vintage bike ! Condition is excellent with NO rust or excessive wear of any kind. Has just small scrapes in the paint.
English
UK

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...413832688.html
United Kingdom

cnighbor1 12-03-2021 04:01 PM

Davidson Track Bike - $900 59cm
 
2 Attachment(s)
12/03/2021
Davidson Track Bike - $900
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...413431987.html
Late 90’s handmade steel Davidson track bike. Mavic hubs, Campagnolo rims. saddle and hand-sewn leather grips. Barely ridden. Near mint. Absolutely gorgeous.

RichTheRoadie 12-03-2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 3018754)
Something I’ve always wondered: isn’t an “extra light” frame with a 44mm head tube a bit of an oxymoron?

You’re assuming a 44mm head tube is significantly heavier than a 1-1/8” head tube - there probably isn’t much in it at all in reality.

yinzerniner 12-03-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_sasso (Post 3018765)
Sad to see those abominations, once names that stood for quality bicycles.

I own one of those "abominations" and it's anything but. Merlin still makes a nice ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie (Post 3018826)
You’re assuming a 44mm head tube is significantly heavier than a 1-1/8” head tube - there probably isn’t much in it at all in reality.

See post here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...0&postcount=25
Builder estimated it's roughly 100-120g difference in Ti all things considered / being equal, but that was in 2014. Whether the 100-120g difference is worth a noticeable stiffer front end is up to the rider.

rwsaunders 12-03-2021 07:47 PM

Speaking of go-fast Davidsons…how about this Softride for $400…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...410271608.html

XXtwindad 12-03-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie (Post 3018826)
You’re assuming a 44mm head tube is significantly heavier than a 1-1/8” head tube - there probably isn’t much in it at all in reality.

I’m guessing this frame was lighter:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=206139

FWIW, I’m not convinced “light” is a good reason to buy a Ti frame, especially with the oversized tubing.

JLQ 12-04-2021 05:40 AM

52 cm Engin gravel bike
 
1 Attachment(s)
Don't see these everyday on Eastern Shore craigslist

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...415647064.html

gbcoupe 12-04-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLQ (Post 3018908)
Don't see these everyday on Eastern Shore craigslist

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...415647064.html

No kidding!

You riding C3 this morning?

jamesdak 12-04-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsaunders (Post 3018850)
Speaking of go-fast Davidsons…how about this Softride for $400…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...410271608.html

Damn!!! Two of my favorite bikes combined into one! I wonder if they'd ship?

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/172120417.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/171970747.jpg

DeBike 12-04-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 3018920)
Damn!!! Two of my favorite bikes combined into one! I wonder if they'd ship?

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/172120417.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/171970747.jpg

That is pretty funny to me. I thought about you when I saw both of these bikes.
The Davidson is quite eye catching, and I am glad it is too big for me. Saves me the anguish of I want and how can I.

jamesdak 12-04-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeBike (Post 3018940)
That is pretty funny to me. I thought about you when I saw both of these bikes.
The Davidson is quite eye catching, and I am glad it is too big for me. Saves me the anguish of I want and how can I.

I'm sitting here mocking up the Calfee for fit right now to take my mind off this. I had an email typed up but stopped myself....so far.....Lawd, give me strength!

mhespenheide 12-04-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsaunders (Post 3018850)
Speaking of go-fast Davidsons…how about this Softride for $400…

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...410271608.html

I've sent a PM to @jamesdak, but if anyone's seriously interested in this one, I could probably facilitate. It's about 20 minutes south of me. I'd have to track down a box so it might take me a week to get it out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.