The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Classifieds (Cycling Products) (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PSA's - GOOD DEALS - BARN FINDS !!!...!!!...!!! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=232021)

tbike4 05-11-2021 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 2925912)
They were well-received at the time, but $750 for an 18 year old steel bike frame seems a bit steep to me, unless it's something you've always wanted.

When you put it that way I will come to my senses. I was remembering the frame for sale by a PL member but it was a nice blue in really good shape. I almost bought it for $800 but that was in Sept of 2015.

johnniecakes 05-11-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbike4 (Post 2925968)
When you put it that way I will come to my senses. I was remembering the frame for sale by a PL member but it was a nice blue in really good shape. I almost bought it for $800 but that was in Sept of 2015.

That one is a beauty, wish it was for sale now.

paredown 05-11-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnniecakes (Post 2925964)
I looked at this one but the geometry listed does not agree with the geometry Derosa published in the catalog. Either a custom or somebody measured wrong. Causes me to have some concern.

Curious about what year this might be from--my guess is early in Corum production.

I found a somewhat similar one that sold on LFGS--and it seemed like a '58' to this one as a '57' (roughly)--the head tube on the LFGS was marginally longer, as was the top tube. At some point they offered both level and sloping top tubes (this one looks level)--but I could not find an old geo chart (or even much in the way of pictures.) Anyone willing to guess the production year based on that paint?

I'd also love to see the catalog page to which you refer, if you have a way to post it.

fiamme red 05-12-2021 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
57cm 1970's touring bike, with no marque on it but really nice craftsmanship, $795 on SF CL.

Doug Fattic wrote this on the CR list: "As a framebuilder I like to look close to see how a frame is filed and from the pictures, this one looks like it is top tier. This bicycle seems way under priced. If I was looking for a non-racing bicycle in that size, I'd would rush to buy it before others realize where it sits in the pecking order of custom built frames."

And Brian Chapman wrote: "That bike is gorgeous! My eyes are only on the frameset but it's immaculate like one that would've come out of Peter Johnson's shop. But as Ken said, there were a few perfectionist builders in the Bay Area. I bet it's gone by now at that price."

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...316855351.html

Quote:

High end late 70’s Gentleman’s classic roadbike with exquisite frame details in a wonderful metallic kelly green color with tan accents. Rare bike. The paint is near perfect. No dents. Tuned. Great ride quality.

Frame highlights include: fine pointy lugs, late 70’s BB cable guides, gorgeous fast back stays, relaxed geometry, wider tire clearance, middle front fork rack mounts, long Campagnolo horizontal dropouts, and 43.5cm chain stays. Measurements include: 57.5cm seattube ctc, 56cm top tube, 32.5 inch standover, relaxed fit. Best described as riding like a 57cm frame. Sized for 5’10”-6’0” riders with pretty normal proportions.

High end strong versatile wheelset: Phil Wood hubs, 40h rear/ 3 cross, 36H front/ 3 cross, Mavic Model 4 silver boxy wide 700c clincher rims.

Campagnolo components: Campy brakes levers, Campy front derailleur, Campy brakes levers, rare Campy Triple cranks 48/44/30, long cage XT rear derailleur for added climbing capacity, Cinelli Bars, Cinelli Stem, Galli Headset, MKS silver Touring pedals with 1/2 toe cages, Tan Pasela Tourguard Kevlar 700x28 tires (room for wider tires), matching Tan Bar tape, Blue Melo Popular fender Made in England, Blackburn front and rear racks, and a brown Brooks B17 leather saddle with copper rivets.

The bike rides exceptionally smooth, is a pleasure ride, has great craftsmanship and thoughtful high end build choices. Should go to a seasoned cyclist, lightweight steel frame lover, or bike enthusiast. Priced to move.

$795 firm (add $100 for Brooks with copper rivets)

prototoast 05-12-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paredown (Post 2926152)
Curious about what year this might be from--my guess is early in Corum production.

I found a somewhat similar one that sold on LFGS--and it seemed like a '58' to this one as a '57' (roughly)--the head tube on the LFGS was marginally longer, as was the top tube. At some point they offered both level and sloping top tubes (this one looks level)--but I could not find an old geo chart (or even much in the way of pictures.) Anyone willing to guess the production year based on that paint?

I'd also love to see the catalog page to which you refer, if you have a way to post it.

Pretty sure it's 2003, based on this old RBR post.

https://www.roadbikereview.com/media...-corum.333922/

dubrat 05-12-2021 02:59 PM

I’m guessing this has sold as the seller has gone quiet on me.

To my eyes this is a Palo Alto Ritchey built tourer for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiamme red (Post 2926246)
57cm 1970's touring bike, with no marque on it but really nice craftsmanship, $795 on SF CL.

Doug Fattic wrote this on the CR list: "As a framebuilder I like to look close to see how a frame is filed and from the pictures, this one looks like it is top tier. This bicycle seems way under priced. If I was looking for a non-racing bicycle in that size, I'd would rush to buy it before others realize where it sits in the pecking order of custom built frames."

And Brian Chapman wrote: "That bike is gorgeous! My eyes are only on the frameset but it's immaculate like one that would've come out of Peter Johnson's shop. But as Ken said, there were a few perfectionist builders in the Bay Area. I bet it's gone by now at that price."

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...316855351.html

dubrat 05-12-2021 03:30 PM

Hold that thought

So just replied it’s still available if anyone is in that region and can facilitate shipping please let me know.

I did try and get the seller to drop it off at box dog but no go

Kyle h 05-12-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubrat (Post 2926477)
Hold that thought

So just replied it’s still available if anyone is in that region and can facilitate shipping please let me know.

I did try and get the seller to drop it off at box dog but no go

I think cgolvin is near Palo Alto and is a stand up dude. Might be worth PMing him but also know this is me throwing it out there, not him so he might not be up to it.

cgolvin 05-12-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle h (Post 2926492)
I think cgolvin is near Palo Alto and is a stand up dude. Might be worth PMing him but also know this is me throwing it out there, not him so he might not be up to it.

Appreciate the endorsement, Kyle, but I'm several hundred miles south of Palo Alto. But we have a lot of Paceliners in the area …

pbarry 05-12-2021 07:36 PM

55cm Bottecchia Max

1 Attachment(s)
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/b...319411688.html

Kyle h 05-12-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgolvin (Post 2926544)
Appreciate the endorsement, Kyle, but I'm several hundred miles south of Palo Alto. But we have a lot of Paceliners in the area …

Apologies, ha. I’ll stop pretending to know CA geography from the Mid-Atlantic.

David Benson 05-12-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

The bike is in SF Mission District, not Palo Alto.
Whoever expedites this for Dubrat will surely go the the heaven of their choosing, no questions asked.

David Benson 05-12-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

The bike is in SF Mission District, not Palo Alto.
Whoever expedites this for Dubrat will surely go the the heaven of their choosing, no questions asked.

T-Crush 05-12-2021 09:21 PM

Serotta CSi in Santa Monica

For $650 you're basically getting F/F and some older 105 9-speed parts that may have some life in them. Still, $650 for a CSi is decent. It's a custom, so inquiry into the particulars of lengths and angles may be required.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...317124842.html

mhespenheide 05-12-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Crush (Post 2926677)
For $650 you're basically getting F/F and some older 105 9-speed parts that may have some life in them. Still, $650 for a CSi is decent. It's a custom, so inquiry into the particulars of lengths and angles may be required.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...317124842.html

Looks more like a 60-61 (or even a 62?) with a dropped top tube, a la Freuler geometry. That top tube is long, with an extended head tube.