The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DA 7700 BB question... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42283)

tbushnel 03-15-2008 09:08 AM

DA 7700 BB question...

I just picked up a NOS DA 7700 BB (thanks 11.4) and I will be installing probably next weekend. It will likely see some wet weather use, so I wanted it "overflowing" with grease (ok, maybe overstating a bit). Anyway, the factory grease is fine (nos) but I feel like I want to add just a bit so when I install the seals there is some overflow. I don't think there is enough grease present for that and I dont have anything other than Phil Wood grease to add.

I assume it is not a good idea to mix grease types, but if I could get confirmation on that that would be great.

Also, whats the easiest solvent to use if I were to start over and grease with PW. I have mineral spirits, acetone, the green stuff...
Any thoughts?
thanks,
ted.

11.4 03-15-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbushnel
I just picked up a NOS DA 7700 BB (thanks 11.4) and I will be installing probably next weekend. It will likely see some wet weather use, so I wanted it "overflowing" with grease (ok, maybe overstating a bit). Anyway, the factory grease is fine (nos) but I feel like I want to add just a bit so when I install the seals there is some overflow. I don't think there is enough grease present for that and I dont have anything other than Phil Wood grease to add.

I assume it is not a good idea to mix grease types, but if I could get confirmation on that that would be great.

Also, whats the easiest solvent to use if I were to start over and grease with PW. I have mineral spirits, acetone, the green stuff...
Any thoughts?
thanks,
ted.

The general rule is not to mix lubricants because different types don't work well together. However, both the stock Shimano grease and the Phil grease are very similar synthetic lubes that you can mix without problem. Many of the solvents actually interfere with grease. I got a tip from the folks at Phil and just use a spray can of TriFlow to clean out old grease and then replace it with the green Phil stuff. Chris King actually recommends this with their RingLube and related lubricants as well.

Grant McLean 03-15-2008 10:11 AM

I really like the 7700 bb, since it's light and made from high quality parts,
but it's not the best sealed bb in the world.

Even with lots of grease in there, i'd check on it regularly. Water seems to
get in there no matter what you try to keep it out. The ultegra sealed octilink
bb was the replacement of choice for most folks looking for a simple, well sealed
unit. I prefer the 7700, but it takes some looking after.

-g

tbushnel 03-15-2008 12:19 PM

thanks guys...

great info - just what I needed. :banana: :beer:
11.4 - that crankset really is pristine - gonna look great on the bike.

Grant - I have an older adjustable square taper BB on my rain bike with I think no seals at all and it has done ok, but certainly not without attention. I could end up with the cartridge BB though. What else do I have to do anyway - its not like I can train all that much :)

ted.

Dude 03-15-2008 04:44 PM

Don't mean to rain on the parade but the D/a BB isn't the best sealed BB out there. When it's dry they roll really well but when you get some dirt in there, they go south. Quickly.

Honestly, either grab an ultegra 6500 BB for cheap or look to overhaul that puppy after every time you ride in the rain.

And watch out for those roller bearings, they love to jump out of the retainer ring so keep it in a bowl and hold it low over the table so they won't bounce anywhere if they do get out.