The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Specialized cutting prices, 25% off Stumpjumper (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=291639)

PaMtbRider 01-20-2023 04:14 PM

Specialized cutting prices, 25% off Stumpjumper

It looks like Specialized is sitting on some inventory and cutting prices.

I didn't see any road bikes that interest me (Aethos) but a couple of their Stumpjumper mountain bikes are back down to pre pandemic prices with a 25% price drop. I've been riding my ancient mountain bike lately and sort of shopping for a new one. I had taken the Stumpjumper off the list but this has me reconsidering.

They also have components on sale. I saw some Roval wheels marked down 25% as well.

AngryScientist 01-20-2023 04:22 PM

I noticed in my email over the last few days several vendors advertising Shimano overstock sales too, so I think there is a pile of inventory sitting in warehouses right now that vendors want to move.

HenryA 01-20-2023 05:54 PM

Last year was a very good year to sell your bike shop.

fa63 01-20-2023 06:08 PM

All those LBSs that sold to Trek or Specialized for big bucks must be having a chuckle right now. Which is great for them because they probably didn't make a whole lot of money the while they were independently owned and operated :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryA (Post 3201628)
Last year was a very good year to sell your bike shop.

HenryA 01-20-2023 06:39 PM

I bet there’s some Epic accounting going on. (pun intended)

lavi 01-20-2023 06:48 PM

Yea. I snagged a post.

oldpotatoe 01-21-2023 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaMtbRider (Post 3201568)
It looks like Specialized is sitting on some inventory and cutting prices.

I didn't see any road bikes that interest me (Aethos) but a couple of their Stumpjumper mountain bikes are back down to pre pandemic prices with a 25% price drop. I've been riding my ancient mountain bike lately and sort of shopping for a new one. I had taken the Stumpjumper off the list but this has me reconsidering.

They also have components on sale. I saw some Roval wheels marked down 25% as well.

Gotta wonder how Spec 'handles' LBS' that aren't part of the Spec 'universe', not a factory store and these deep discounts. Does the 'factory' give the LBS some sort of $ break? For inventory already on their floors?

BrazAd 01-21-2023 09:28 AM

My Spesh dealer told me a couple of weeks ago to wait before I buy anything, that Spesh had cut pricing 3 times in 3 months and that was unprecedented. He said he expected more sales coming, especially by March.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB 01-21-2023 09:54 AM

Spesh is in trouble. Lotta rumors swirling.

prototoast 01-21-2023 10:05 AM

Now I'm not going to say I'm the perfect representative consumer, but I will note that the bikes they have on sale have very little overlap with the bikes that I might personally be interested in. Maybe I could see myself getting a stumpjumper, but I would be much more interested in Crux, Epic, Chisel, Aethos, Fuse, Tarmac, Allez, and I don't see any of those on sale.

rallizes 01-21-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Bingham (Post 3201833)

What kind of rumors?

flying 01-21-2023 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Bingham (Post 3201833)

Not just them remember Giant recently also deferred payments to suppliers.
I'm thinking 2023 will see many sales but less buyers running to buy for the same reasons

nmrt 01-21-2023 11:32 AM

you said it.

when the tarmacs and aethos's, and the epic's, and the crux's and the emonda slr's (wait....that's Trek, but you get the idea) come at 40% off, wake me up. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 3201844)
Now I'm not going to say I'm the perfect representative consumer, but I will note that the bikes they have on sale have very little overlap with the bikes that I might personally be interested in. Maybe I could see myself getting a stumpjumper, but I would be much more interested in Crux, Epic, Chisel, Aethos, Fuse, Tarmac, Allez, and I don't see any of those on sale.

Alexi 01-21-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 3201801)
Gotta wonder how Spec 'handles' LBS' that aren't part of the Spec 'universe', not a factory store and these deep discounts. Does the 'factory' give the LBS some sort of $ break? For inventory already on their floors?

Nope, and they sometimes don’t even bother telling you that they put items on sale.

peanutgallery 01-21-2023 06:22 PM

This checks out as standard operating procedure for the big S. Companies occasionally play this game but specialized is probably the worst

As stated above, they're in a spot of bother

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexi (Post 3201942)
Nope, and they sometimes don’t even bother telling you that they put items on sale.