The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Paceline Timepiece Talk (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245701)

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 11:32 AM

[OT] What watch would you choose? Sinn, Oris, or Omega Quartz

I know there are a few watch aficionados on this board so if you could only have 1 watch and had to choose between these three options which one would you choose and why?

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Quartz 39.5mm on bracelet (silver dial) $1750 (on closeout)
https://www.omegawatches.com/media/c...96002001-l.png

Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date 40mm on strap (any dial color) $1550
https://www.oris.ch/data/27134_01751..._verticale.png

Sinn 104 41mm on strap (any dial color) $1330
https://www.sinn.de/bilder/uhr/960x1...-St-Sa-I_V.jpg

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:42 AM

i get that maybe these are some YOU are trying to decide between, but none of them appeal to me in any way, so there is no way i would ever find myself choosing between them for my only watch.

i'm a dive watch guy :)

clyde the point 12-19-2019 11:45 AM

I like the Sinn cause I'm always banging my watch on stuff and that one looks like the crystal is somewhat protected. The other two I'd toast out in 2 weeks.

avalonracing 12-19-2019 11:47 AM

Well, one is dress, one is casual and one is active. Of course since they are all expensive and decent watches they overlap a bit and can be worn anywhere (but hell, so can a Swatch) While I like Oris watches the hatching on that bezel is a bit feminine. But if you can only have one that Omega is the way to go.

axel23 12-19-2019 11:47 AM

Definitely not the Omega. Watches with quartz movements rarely retain their value.

Either the Sinn or the Oris (both of which use a reliable Sellita base movement) would be a clear choice. While not as accurate as quartz, automatic movements are a testament to the art of watch making. You'll appreciate the smooth flow of the second hand.

The difference between the Sinn and the Oris is a personal choice. I like the diver-style of the Sinn, and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel23 (Post 2634446)
and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.

sonicCows 12-19-2019 11:52 AM

I would buy a Rohloff

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2634447)
lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.

edit:

just remembered - there was a guy years ago on one of the watch forums i frequent who had a seiko diver modified.

he was a retired guy, and as a joke, he had a day wheel where every day was saturday in a different color. i thought that one was hilarious.

wc1934 12-19-2019 12:04 PM

Even though it is quartz, I would take the Seamaster.

IJWS 12-19-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Me, at least a few times a week.

Omega is the Best Buy-not the best looking sea master though. The Sinn is the coolest. Would love a 356 fleiger if I was buying a Sinn. I would remove the Oris from competition although they do look better in person than in the image.

My vote is for the Sinn!

Edit: I didn’t catch that the omega is a quartz movement. Not a good investment. Double-vote for the Sinn.

Blue Jays 12-19-2019 12:06 PM

My sense is the silver-on-silver legibility of that particular Omega would become quite maddening over time and as we all age.

Oris is really sweet and likely wears the biggest since the bezel is thin. Most dressy of the three. Very attractive.

Sinn model probably has the most flexibility in capability to be dressed-up or dressed-down with ease. That said...my choice would be the Sinn.

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel23 (Post 2634446)
Definitely not the Omega. Watches with quartz movements rarely retain their value.

Either the Sinn or the Oris (both of which use a reliable Sellita base movement) would be a clear choice. While not as accurate as quartz, automatic movements are a testament to the art of watch making. You'll appreciate the smooth flow of the second hand.

The difference between the Sinn and the Oris is a personal choice. I like the diver-style of the Sinn, and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

The Omega is on heavy closeout discount so the value issue is already worked out (it's normally $2750). I'm so over the Auto versus Quartz thing and there is something nice about quartz accuracy and the "grab and go" of it and never having to worry about setting the date/time (unless the battery dies every few years).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2634451)
edit:

just remembered - there was a guy years ago on one of the watch forums i frequent who had a seiko diver modified.

he was a retired guy, and as a joke, he had a day wheel where every day was saturday in a different color. i thought that one was hilarious.

I am slowly selling my modified Seiko and microbrand watches are trying to get to one nice but not to over the top watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avalonracing (Post 2634445)
Well, one is dress, one is casual and one is active. Of course since they are all expensive and decent watches they overlap a bit and can be worn anywhere (but hell, so can a Swatch) While I like Oris watches the hatching on that bezel is a bit feminine. But if you can only have one that Omega is the way to go.

I consider the Omega the most dressy especially if you put it on a leather strap, the Oris can truly go either way based on using a textile or leather strap, and the Sinn even on a leather strap will always be a sport watch IMO.

mulp 12-19-2019 12:11 PM

I'm a big fan of Omega, but would advise against an Omega quartz, unless you're buying them used for <$1000.

Not an option you provided but i would recommend buying a used automatic Omega. I used Watchrecon to find a local person selling the Omega I wanted and everything worked out really well.

Get an Omega that uses an in-house movement, you won't regret it!

bowenarrow 12-19-2019 12:14 PM

I love that Sinn...it's on my shopping list currently.

Matthew 12-19-2019 12:17 PM

I like the Sinn. But if I had over a grand to spend on a new bit of bling I'd by a frameset!!

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulp (Post 2634462)
I'm a big fan of Omega, but would advise against an Omega quartz, unless you're buying them used for <$1000.

Not an option you provided but i would recommend buying a used automatic Omega. I used Watchrecon to find a local person selling the Omega I wanted and everything worked out really well.

Get an Omega that uses an in-house movement, you won't regret it!

I should have added that I already have a Rolex Datejust 36mm steel/gold and an Explorer II 42mm (that replaced a 40mm one I had for 25 years but sold because I was offered a price I could not refuse). I have been going through several modded Seiko and microbrand watches over the past 18 months to find the "perfect" less expensive option to use for travel (which I do a lot for business and personal) because I no longer feel safe wearing either of them when I am travelling. So this needs to serve a purpose.

I want something dressy but not too dressy and sporty but not too sporty; a chameleon watch is what I want/need and these three seemed to be good options.

I am not interested in used anything. On the less expensive watches the savings is rarely worth it and I like to add the dings/scratches/patina myself.

FlashUNC 12-19-2019 12:23 PM

For travel, Longines Conquest VHP GMT.

Stupidly good watch for the money.

Otherwise the Omega.

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2634471)
For travel, Longines Conquest VHP GMT.

Stupidly good watch for the money.

Otherwise the Omega.

I believe I have seen yours posted across the hall. Other issue is I can't read the 24 hr scale on that Longines nor the date on most watches (without my reading glasses).

I have seen these all in-person and they have unusually large date windows without the need for a cyclops. The Oris actually has "Big Date" in the name.

d_douglas 12-19-2019 12:33 PM

My wife wears the women’s version of the Omega and it is a beautiful quality watch. I wear a similar Seamaster and they’re nice.

No other point of reference - I don’t collect watches and can not afford to start :)

C40_guy 12-19-2019 12:52 PM

For several years I couldn't get a Seiko Sumo (SBDC001) off my wrist. For the money you're talking about, I owned three Sumos -- black, blue and orange dials.

Then I started running and extended my (cycling) Garmin ecosystem to my watch. Now I can't get my Fenix 5 with NATO strap off my wrist.

And yea, I'm thinning the watch herd. Selling off most of my collection (most of which were relatively inexpensive, and some modified, Seiko divers...)

Ken Robb 12-19-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

I have. I'm retired and except for Sunday church service there isn't any regularly scheduled activity to differentiate days so I occasionally have to look at my watch to see if it's Wednesday or Thursday. :)

simonov 12-19-2019 01:18 PM

Modified Seiko for the win!

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonov (Post 2634495)
Modified Seiko for the win!

No thank you. As mentioned earlier in the htread, I am selling off the modified Seikos and thinning the watch heard/collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 2634487)
For several years I couldn't get a Seiko Sumo (SBDC001) off my wrist. For the money you're talking about, I owned three Sumos -- black, blue and orange dials.

Then I started running and extended my (cycling) Garmin ecosystem to my watch. Now I can't get my Fenix 5 with NATO strap off my wrist.

And yea, I'm thinning the watch herd. Selling off most of my collection (most of which were relatively inexpensive Seiko divers...)

Exactly, I do not enjoy the variety and upkeep so I too am getting rid of all inexpensive watches and consolidating in 1 mid-tier priced watch.

IJWS 12-19-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCfixie (Post 2634466)
I should have added that I already have a Rolex Datejust 36mm steel/gold and an Explorer II 42mm (that replaced a 40mm one I had for 25 years but sold because I was offered a price I could not refuse). I have been going through several modded Seiko and microbrand watches over the past 18 months to find the "perfect" less expensive option to use for travel (which I do a lot for business and personal) because I no longer feel safe wearing either of them when I am travelling. So this needs to serve a purpose.

I want something dressy but not too dressy and sporty but not too sporty; a chameleon watch is what I want/need and these three seemed to be good options.

I am not interested in used anything. On the less expensive watches the savings is rarely worth it and I like to add the dings/scratches/patina myself.

I really like the Ball Fireman Enterprise or Victory which kind of tow’s the line that you have described. The Oris also gets close to double-duty. The Sinn (my favorite) doesn’t meet your needs. Strange inclusion.

uber 12-19-2019 02:49 PM

If it is only between those three, I would go with the Sinn.

jr59 12-19-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Yes

jr59 12-19-2019 03:01 PM

I KNOW all three of these very well.

All have good points, and some drawbacks.

Sea master is a quartz.

Sin is to much of a dive watch to wear every day.

Oris, is unheard of brand.

Give me the Oris every time. I like that watch brand, and have had several. Lol, I’ve had more than a few from each company a time or two.

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr59 (Post 2634521)
I KNOW all three of these very well.

All have good points, and some drawbacks.

Sea master is a quartz.

Sin is to much of a dive watch to wear every day.

Oris, is unheard of brand.

Give me the Oris every time. I like that watch brand, and have had several. Lol, I’ve had more than a few from each company a time or two.

I have been into watches of all kinds and price-points for more than 30 years and it always amazes me what a narrow view the general public has in terms of brand recognition. Ask the average person walking down the street what is a good watch brand and they will inevitably say Rolex, fewer will say Omega, some Cartier, and you might be lucky if you get 1 or 2 who mention Patek. Others might say Swatch, Seiko, or Casio (in that order) if you ask about inexpensive watches.

Other than those, you will get blank stares if you ask about Sinn, Oris, etc. and maybe that is a good thing if I want a low-key watch to use when I travel.

jr59 12-19-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCfixie (Post 2634528)
I have been into watches of all kinds and price-points for more than 30 years and it always amazes me what a narrow view the general public has in terms of brand recognition. Ask the average person walking down the street what is a good watch brand and they will inevitably say Rolex, fewer will say Omega, some Cartier, and you might be lucky if you get 1 or 2 who mention Patek. Others might say Swatch, Seiko, or Casio (in that order) if you ask about inexpensive watches.

Other than those, you will get blank stares if you ask about Sinn, Oris, etc. and maybe that is a good thing if I want a low-key watch to use when I travel.

With proper treatment, it will always tell time. Like a tiny machine on your wrist.
Also with that watch, you can dress it up or down with a simple strap exchange

dbnm 12-19-2019 05:50 PM

I was just talking to a couple of friends today about buying a new watch as well.

Rolex, Omega and Panerai.

Choices....

Louis 12-19-2019 05:56 PM

The Omega is too formal (and froofy) for my taste.

The Sinn is too busy. There are other Sinn watches that I very much like, but not that one.

That leaves the Oris.

FlashUNC 12-19-2019 06:06 PM

If you want automatic three hander with a date and a reasonable price, tough to beat the Sinn 556. And you've already got a Sinn in this decision set...

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbnm (Post 2634601)
I was just talking to a couple of friends today about buying a new watch as well.

Rolex, Omega and Panerai.

Choices....

Start a new thread and let's really dig into your decision but for now....

Rolex = can't get the desirable ones unless you have a pre-existing relationship with an AD
Omega = easy to get but barely hold 60% of their value
Panerai = barely hold 25% of their value.

With that said, get what you love and don't worry about value retention if you are going to keep the watch long term. If you are a flipper, stick with Rolex or Patek otherwise do not ever expect to get back more than 50% when you sell watches you purchased new. With Pre-owned you will only lose 20-30%.

janney 12-19-2019 07:51 PM

About watch winders

What are your opinions on watch winders, is there any point in having them?

Is the main purpose of having one for people who have a collection so therefore would not need to set time and dates when choosing a different piece to wear?

Or is it to keep all of their movements continuously moving instead of constantly stopping and re winding every time? Is it true that lubricants inside the movement can harden if they are left to stop frequently or is this just a myth?

Many thanks KK

jlwdm 12-19-2019 07:58 PM

I have normally had 8-10 watches although I have cut back to 4 watches now. I have never used a watch winder and have never had any problems. I obviously often have to wind watches, but I don't mind doing that. My Dornblueth 99.1 is a manual wind, but it is easy to set as it does not have a date.

I sold an Omega Planet Ocean that I purchased the month they came out 14 or 15 years ago and never had it serviced and it was fine.

Jeff

Blue Jays 12-19-2019 08:02 PM

Welcome to the Paceline Forums.
Congratulations on your first post.

Automatic watch winders are not all the same.
It seems to be an accessory where a decent one must be purchased.

A good one definitely helps make it easier to live with multiple automatics.
Contemporary wristwatch lubricants are much more stable than in the past.

jlwdm 12-19-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCfixie (Post 2634629)
Start a new thread and let's really dig into your decision but for now....

Rolex = can't get the desirable ones unless you have a pre-existing relationship with an AD
Omega = easy to get but barely hold 60% of their value
Panerai = barely hold 25% of their value.

With that said, get what you love and don't worry about value retention if you are going to keep the watch long term. If you are a flipper, stick with Rolex or Patek otherwise do not ever expect to get back more than 50% when you sell watches you purchased new. With Pre-owned you will only lose 20-30%.

I only by watches and other possessions that I really like and then keep them a long time.

Rolex: never have seen one I would wear
Omega: purchased a new orange Planet Ocean 14 or 15 years ago and sold it this year for what I paid for it.
Panerai: purchased one in 2003 and sold it about 5-6 years ago for what I paid for it. Purchased a different Panerai at that time.

Patek: purchased one two weeks before 9/11 and decided I did not like it (not a fan of Patek looks; this was close). Took a big loss on it.

Jeff

Louis 12-19-2019 08:09 PM

I have my autos on winders, mostly to minimize the amount of fiddling it takes to get a watch from "sitting" to "accurate and ready to wear." They are a bit of a hassle, and to be honest, I think my interest may be shifting from automatics to other options like no-date manuals and quartz.

I'd probably wear my "atomic" (I dislike the term) G-shock more often, but it's huge, so I use it mostly as my reference clock when I need to set anything else.

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwdm (Post 2634653)
I only by watches and other possessions that I really like and then keep them a long time.

Rolex: never have seen one I would wear
Omega: purchased a new orange Planet Ocean 14 or 15 years ago and sold it this year for what I paid for it.
Panerai: purchased one in 2003 and sold it about 5-6 years ago for what I paid for it. Purchased a different Panerai at that time.

Patek: purchased one two weeks before 9/11 and decided I did not like it (not a fan of Patek looks; this was close). Took a big loss on it.

Jeff

You are comparing very different time periods in the same examples. Times change, tastes change, and thus values change but Rolex and Patek have proven to be the only brands that keep value no matter what happens in the overall watch market. You also need to factor the time value of money because $1,000 14 or 15 years ago does not have the same purchase power today. For it to be equal, you would need $1,316.99 of today's dollars to equal what $1000 was worth in 2005.

Omega - did you have a special or limited edition watch? Was yours in excellent shape?

Panerai - that was 5 or 6 years ago, times change, and ask any pre-owned dealer today if you would be lucky to get 20-30% of original retail for a Panerai unless it was one of the few really collectible and very limited watches. Many authorized dealers can't get rid of them now and are offering at least 50% off on new ones and/or dropping the brand. Stallone and Arnold made them famous but even that did not last very long.

Patek - not sure how unless it was still during the recovery of 9/11. All luxury items will soften in a recession or after a catastrophic event like 9/11 but it depends on which ones actually come back. Patek and Rolex do, others usually don't or it takes a very long time.

The caveat is that some models will keep more of their value. A Rolex Submariner will keep significantly more of its value than a DateJust. A Patek grand complication will keep more of its value than an entry level Calatrava.

Blue Jays 12-19-2019 08:28 PM

Sinn model has taken an appreciable jump in the polling.