The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Titanium Hardtail MTB (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=238392)

joosttx 06-01-2019 09:27 PM

Titanium Hardtail MTB

I’m thinking about buying a custom titanium hardtail MTB. Is there anything inherently better or worse with the material for mountain bikes....

Ken Robb 06-01-2019 09:35 PM

No paint to chip and no frame rust.

rounder 06-01-2019 09:37 PM

I don't know about a custom titanium hardtail bike.

But, I bought a custom titanium cross bike. I do not race it. But I love it. It rides great. Everything gets soaked up with no problems plus love the way it looks and rides. My vote is, if you can justify it, go get one and see for yourself.

nmrt 06-01-2019 09:38 PM

simply put, no.
get the ti.
:)

joosttx 06-01-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rounder (Post 2547890)
I don't know about a custom titanium hardtail bike.

But, I bought a custom titanium cross bike. I do not race it. But I love it. It rides great. Everything gets soaked up with no problems plus love the way it looks and rides. My vote is, if you can justify it, go get one and see for yourself.

Why?

XXtwindad 06-01-2019 09:46 PM

Mine is double butted. Made by Alliance. Had it set up rigid and it clocked it at 19ish lbs. Fantastic for soaking up bumps and hits. I wouldn't think of getting another frame material for dirt.

FlashUNC 06-01-2019 10:28 PM

As long as you're not going for Lionel's geometry recommendations.

Matthew 06-01-2019 10:36 PM

I love my Moots. A buddy just got a Bearclaw ti hardtail and he's very happy with it. I think it's probably the best material for an mtb. Go for it.

Kirk007 06-01-2019 10:56 PM

I dunno. I have a Lynskey hardtail and it builds out to around 22-23 pounds so - lightweight, no scratch finish, plenty stiff but not obnoxiously so. I had a Lynskey in the past that was one of the stiffest bikes I've been on - didn't like it, sold it and kept a Cielo 29er steel bike - really nice ride quality, which I eventually sold as it wasn't getting ridden (a bad habit I have with mtn. bikes).

Other than lighter weight and better wet weather durability, not sure it would give you anything you don't already have in your 44 (unless you're going for + size or something) particulalry in terms of ride quality.

Custom builder - Kris? - should be able to give you the ride you want.

Idris Icabod 06-02-2019 12:12 AM

I have a Form built Ti hardtail. One issue to consider on a Ti frame is rear tire clearance. I'm pretty limited to 2.25 Ardents but many other 2.2 tires do not clear the chain stays. I still really like the ride but my buddies who ride carbon have skinnier stays and more clearance.

nmrt 06-02-2019 12:26 AM

I have ridden a carbon specialized stumpjumper hardtail. I have ridden a steel Spot hardtail. I have ridden an alloy Cannondale hardtail.
And I have ridden a ti Moots and a ti Blacksheep hardtail.

There are those that will tell you that for mtb bikes, the material does not make a difference. That since the tires are so "fat", one really cannot experience titanium's inherent and legendary ride qualities. That the "fat" mtb tires mute the ride qualities of the frame.

In my experience I have found that not to be true. I loved my ti hardtails. Despite the 2.25 to 2.4 width tires I put on them, I would like to believe that I could still feel titanium's ride qualities.

The carbon felt stiff and the alloy felt jarring while the steel felt a bit "sluggish". But my ti hardtails, ahhhh....the ride was unmistakably titanium. You own a ti mosaic. you know what i am talking about.

just get a ti hardtail. i would choose 44, or built, or firefly, or strong.

charliedid 06-02-2019 06:51 AM

If you paint it pink you'll have to remind/tell everyone you come across it's made out of titanium.

I'd build it as a rigid 29'r going "reasonably" lightweight. It would be a nice companion to the 44 assuming you would keep it.

oldpotatoe 06-02-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2547884)
I’m thinking about buying a custom titanium hardtail MTB. Is there anything inherently better or worse with the material for mountain bikes....

Titanium much better crash worthiness, if ya throw it into a rock garden, compared to plastic. Never rusts, lasts forever if made well. Can be pricey..and if it's a chinese/russian made one, for less $, may not be as durable.

http://www.habcycles.com/mtb.html

GonaSovereign 06-02-2019 07:05 AM

Change is nice, but I don't think it would be a significant improvement over what you have. A bit lighter, and rust proof. Scratch resistant if you don't paint it. IMHO, your 44 is near perfection as far as hardtails go.

(My ti experience: I race a modern ti cx bike, and had a ti hardtail. Ti can be as racy as top-end carbon - torsionally stiff, etc, but not as light.)

FWIW, my recent mtb upgrade was to a modern xc fs race bike (this one): low and slack, 120mm front and back. That thing is fast and perfect for long days.

HenryA 06-02-2019 07:35 AM

Yes, do it.

colker 06-02-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2547957)
Titanium much better crash worthiness, if ya throw it into a rock garden, compared to plastic. Never rusts, lasts forever if made well. Can be pricey..and if it's a chinese/russian made one, for less $, may not be as durable.

http://www.habcycles.com/mtb.html

if it lasts forever then it´s trouble because all the hub, stem, brake, headset, bottom bracket, rim, tire standards will have changed inthe near future and he won´t find replacement parts anymore.
Picture the owner of a Seven 26in hardtail made in 1999.

colker 06-02-2019 08:12 AM

I´ve had a titanium hardtail and like my steel mtn bikes better. i am sure it´s not about the material but design.

awdwon 06-02-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 2547904)
I love my Moots. A buddy just got a Bearclaw ti hardtail and he's very happy with it. I think it's probably the best material for an mtb. Go for it.

Gonna check out their fleet when I get up to Traverse City this summer. Thinking of picking up one of their all-road bikes.

kingpin75s 06-02-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2547884)

All other things being equal. A little lighter and a little more forgiving in the rough than steel based on my experience.

Matthew 06-02-2019 10:35 AM

Hey awdwon, are you in Michigan? Traverse is beautiful. He got his at Einstein I believe. He did have to reduce his rear tire size due to some rub but loves the bike. He came from a full suspension Specialized Epic World Cup. Likes the hardtail better.

joosttx 06-02-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2547977)
I´ve had a titanium hardtail and like my steel mtn bikes better. i am sure it´s not about the material but design.

Everything matters, gaucho.

skouri1 06-02-2019 01:26 PM

My Ti indy fab deluxe has been quite awesome. immediately loved it over a FS trek fuel ex I had previously. I guess it depends what you are looking for, but I think its a great choice for MTB. only issue to note is after riding through a lot of standing water and not doing anything about it, BB got corroded. I left it in there for a while though, with no special grease or anything, so you may want to pull that every now and then. Other than that, yes its cool to not care about paint chips.

colker 06-02-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2548036)
Everything matters, gaucho.

Titanium makes the best handlebars... that´s all i know.

joosttx 06-02-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2548153)

Makes sense...

awdwon 06-02-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 2548015)
Hey awdwon, are you in Michigan? Traverse is beautiful. He got his at Einstein I believe. He did have to reduce his rear tire size due to some rub but loves the bike. He came from a full suspension Specialized Epic World Cup. Likes the hardtail better.

Nah, I’m from SW Ontario. I’ve been up there the last 2 summers with the family and we always have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old fat man 06-02-2019 09:38 PM

I had a Santa Cruz chameleon and had Seven build a ti version when I worked there. Waste of money. My subsequent steel mtb's from another builder were better. I love the lack of paint but the ride was nothing special.

gibbo 06-02-2019 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Ti hard tail, its a blast to ride and takes a beating without missing a beat! :p I have crashed it quite a hard a few times and the decals were looking a bit ragged so I just removed them with an razor, and gave her a scrub with a scotch brite pad and she is just like new. ;)

Matthew 06-02-2019 10:52 PM

My Moots is a 2002 and parts haven't been an issue yet. Threaded BB, 1 1/8th headtube, 110mm stem, disc brakes, etc. I am worried about wrecking my wheels though. Guessing there aren't many 26in wheelsets sitting around anymore.

colker 06-03-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 2548245)
My Moots is a 2002 and parts haven't been an issue yet. Threaded BB, 1 1/8th headtube, 110mm stem, disc brakes, etc. I am worried about wrecking my wheels though. Guessing there aren't many 26in wheelsets sitting around anymore.

My 26in HT is 2000 and it´s susp. forks are busted. I have been looking for a replacement 26in 80mm travel rim brake fork and all there is used marzocchis.

72gmc 06-03-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2548153)

I believe this and would love to know this (future upgrade planning)

bshell 06-03-2019 03:05 PM

I currently have two titanium hard tails and a cx bike. They're nice.

In contrast to someone above, I had an early Seven Sola (15? years ago) that I seriously wish I had not sold.

Matthew 06-03-2019 03:31 PM

My front shock

Yup, my suspension fork taking a poop and dying is my second biggest worry about having a 26er. Will be a real bummer if this happens. Can't imagine there are many in good shape to be found that aren't too expensive. Good thing I mostly road ride.

Dino Suegiù 06-03-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmc (Post 2548304)
I believe this and would love to know this (future upgrade planning)

For flat or riser handlebars, it's true.

The titanium ones last forever, are very comfortable, and for 25.4/26.0mm stems (can be easily shimmed to 31.8mm stems) there are many on eBay for very cheap, in many rises and sweeps, that a Scotch-Brite pad will make look like new.

For 31.8mm brand new, the Thomson ones are beautiful but expensive, Ti-Cycles more affordable, Jones (his H bar, I think are expensive also), a few from other titanium frame builders like Moots, and at least several other options (many of these might come from Control-Tech, etc. initially (even the Thomsons might be) but I am not sure about that, and anyway Control-Tech is good quality).

kingpin75s 06-03-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù (Post 2548589)

The titanium ones last forever, are very comfortable, and for 25.4/26.0mm stems (can be easily shimmed to 31.8mm stems) there are many on eBay for very cheap, in many rises and sweeps, that a Scotch-Brite pad will make look like new.

For 31.8mm brand new, the Thomson ones are beautiful but expensive, Ti-Cycles more affordable, Jones (his H bar, I think are expensive also), a few from other titanium frame builders like Moots, and at least several other options (many of these might come from Control-Tech, etc. initially (even the Thomsons might be) but I am not sure about that, and anyway Control-Tech is good quality).

Good ones out there if you look long and hard enough. I tend to prefer the alt styles with some extra sweep.

Groovy Ti Luv Handles
Jones H and Loop Ti

My current favorite is an old set of Fatback Titanium bars. Shaped very similar to the Luv Handles but nice and wide. Picking up my new custom steel Long Travel HT frame tonight designed around these bars.

Andy sti 06-03-2019 04:51 PM

I would love a slacked out, short chainstay Ti hardtail with room for a 2.35-2.6 in back. 66.5-67 HA with a 130 fork - oh yeah!

My carbon hardtail is awesome for fast "workout" rides but it beats my old body up.

Great, now I have to call Erik and get another frame...

colker 06-03-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù (Post 2548589)

There are many cheap chinese ti 560mm /580mm bars but those are way short, ain´t they? Then there are Thomsons at the new 31.8 standard and the right length but you will spend a bit more. Anyways hbars make the perfect application for titanium.

colker 06-03-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin75s (Post 2548597)
Good ones out there if you look long and hard enough. I tend to prefer the alt styles with some extra sweep.

Groovy Ti Luv Handles
Jones H and Loop Ti

My current favorite is an old set of Fatback Titanium bars. Shaped very similar to the Luv Handles but nice and wide. Picking up my new custom steel Long Travel HT frame tonight designed around these bars.

I want the old Fat Chance ti bars at 24in length and 8 degr. sweep. Made by Merlin?

gt88 06-03-2019 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy sti (Post 2548605)
I would love a slacked out, short chainstay Ti hardtail with room for a 2.35-2.6 in back. 66.5-67 HA with a 130 fork - oh yeah!

My carbon hardtail is awesome for fast "workout" rides but it beats my old body up.

Great, now I have to call Erik and get another frame...

I can attest that Erik gets that kind of bike!

joosttx 06-03-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt88 (Post 2548621)
I can attest that Erik gets that kind of bike!

me likey

rounder 06-03-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2547892)
Why?

I am probably not a good one to ask because I am not a racer and do not have endless budget.

I bought the titanium cross bike because I never had a ti bike before and wanted to see what it was like. My bikes have all been steel or aluminum (been riding for over 30 years). But the ti bike rides great and is the smoothest riding bike I ever had. The bike was built custom for me, but having ridden it for the past five years, the bike always feels great. Not worried about dings, rust or fatigue life.