The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What’s on your coffee bench? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=228951)

d_douglas 12-28-2023 01:28 PM

There is a local coffee roaster that also maintains coffee systems for individuals and restaurants, etc. They do a bustling business and have a great coffee shop.

When I asked the owner about buying a used Rancilio Silvia (which is what I ultimately bought), he stated that 'espresso is so 'over' - that pourover gives so much greater variety and subtlety. He talked me out of spending $1500 on a machine, which I thought was kind of weird and impressive as well.

What he said made sense to me theoretically, but in the end, I just love the taste of espresso more. Pourovers have the variety nailed down, but they often taste 'watered down' to me. I drink it at workout of simplicity, but prefer my coffees at home or in a coffee shop.

rwsaunders 12-28-2023 01:59 PM

https://i.imgur.com/0uNmIkqh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Sba1WeZh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MKkO0DWh.jpg

I built this (double) pourover stand a few years back for our oldest son, from some scrap maple and copper pipe. I'd be happy to share a link to the plans if anyone is interested. The toughest part was neatly boring the larger holes, so with a friend that has a nice home woodshop, this was pretty simple.

C40_guy 12-30-2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwa86 (Post 3332065)
If you want to stay quasi local, Atomic Coffee up on north shore ships, and would hit your flavor profile.

Though I’ve only had it at the shop, Karma coffee out in Sudbury also ships I think.

One other option — a friend got me a coffee subscription for a present once, was a good way to try a bunch of different things. There are a few that consistently get good reviews if you search the net.

Thanks! I just ordered a couple of bags from Atomic coffee, will try Karma next!

C40_guy 12-30-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Porter (Post 3332074)
Also quasi-local, or at least sorta-kinda local, is Custom House Coffee in Middletown, RI. Quite a few types of beans and blends. We use the one they call Black Magic pretty much exclusively. Can be pricey, esp. if you add in shipping but it's really good for espresso and cappuccino in our 1987 and 2017 Olympia Creminas, ground via our Olympia grinders. No commercial relationship.

I'll check that out...it's great to have a local roaster with short ship times...)

Funny...I ordered coffee from a local shop years ago and didn't know what I was doing. A couple of bags of green beans showed up. My mistake. :)

C40_guy 12-30-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsaunders (Post 3332674)
I built this (double) pourover stand a few years back for our oldest son, from some scrap maple and copper pipe. I'd be happy to share a link to the plans if anyone is interested. The toughest part was neatly boring the larger holes, so with a friend that has a nice home woodshop, this was pretty simple.

Beautiful setup. I use the same pourover filter holder. I measure the water before it goes into the kettle and have never seen the need to weigh the cup as it's being made.

Doesn't everyone have a floorstanding drill press? I wanted one for many years and finally ran across one at a local recycle shop... :)

glepore 12-30-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 3332908)
Beautiful setup. I use the same pourover filter holder. I measure the water before it goes into the kettle and have never seen the need to weigh the cup as it's being made.

Doesn't everyone have a floorstanding drill press? I wanted one for many years and finally ran across one at a local recycle shop... :)

I had a cool vintage one run by a leather belt and it left in a divorce. I still miss her (it).

contronatura 12-30-2023 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_douglas (Post 3332668)
There is a local coffee roaster that also maintains coffee systems for individuals and restaurants, etc. They do a bustling business and have a great coffee shop.

When I asked the owner about buying a used Rancilio Silvia (which is what I ultimately bought), he stated that 'espresso is so 'over' - that pourover gives so much greater variety and subtlety. He talked me out of spending $1500 on a machine, which I thought was kind of weird and impressive as well.

What he said made sense to me theoretically, but in the end, I just love the taste of espresso more. Pourovers have the variety nailed down, but they often taste 'watered down' to me. I drink it at workout of simplicity, but prefer my coffees at home or in a coffee shop.

I think the frisson from a good shot of espresso is so much more common than that rare *killer* pour-over. Maybe my pour-over skills aren't the best but for every good cup I've made I've had three mediocre. I've also had so many bad pour-overs from coffee shops so I just err towards a shot of 'spro even at ones that offer and have made decent pour-overs in the past.

NHAero 12-30-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 3332905)
I'll check that out...it's great to have a local roaster with short ship times...)

Funny...I ordered coffee from a local shop years ago and didn't know what I was doing. A couple of bags of green beans showed up. My mistake. :)

I got inspired and ordered from a Boston roaster Thursday morning. Hasn’t yet shipped. What’s people’s experience and expectations with ordering beans online? I realize this New Year’s weekend…

kytyree 12-30-2023 07:42 PM

It’s common that they have certain days they roast on. With the holidays of course the answer depends. If they had some ready now probably depends on how big they are and how often they sell a roast. Normal to have the date on there and with smaller companies it’s often clear that it was probably roasted based on the order I had placed.

Gsinill 12-31-2023 12:50 PM

Comandante C40

Another C40, complementing my Colnago.
Back to the roots, going manual.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...058c885b_b.jpg

oldguy00 12-31-2023 01:22 PM

Is there really any noticeable difference between a french press, pour over, or aeropress?

jkbrwn 12-31-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldguy00 (Post 3333223)
Is there really any noticeable difference between a french press, pour over, or aeropress?

Yes. A very obvious difference to me. Even with the best French press technique in the world, it’s still impossible to eliminate fines ending up in your cup.

My filter brewer of choice, after trying basically everything other than a siphon, remains to be the Aeropress. Easy to use, bomb proof, infinite ways to brew. I just love it. I recently tried a Next Level Pulsar which has been massively hyped up and I still prefer the Aeropress for taste, cleanliness in the cup and most importantly - ease of use.

jkbrwn 12-31-2023 05:44 PM

Have now been using my Flair 58+ for a month and can safely say that when equipped with a host of puck prep tools and Third Wave Water, it makes some of the best espresso I’ve ever tasted and certainly the best I’ve ever made. The Cafelat Robot was less finicky and easier to use but a perfect shot in the Robot is not as good as a perfect shot out of the Flair. I’m getting god shots every. Single. Time. With ease. Syrupy, great mouth feel, solid crema, well extracted, tastes perfect. Very pleased with the Flair.

eddiepaletti 01-01-2024 08:38 AM

@rwsaunders, that is a very nice looking pour over stand!

I have a Magnifica espresso machine that does a nice job and is automatic except for the frothing. I love my espressos with some foamed milk (less foam than a cappuccino). I also enjoy a good pour over, even though it tries my patience at times. ;-)

On a hot day, I like my espresso with a little bubbly water and sugar over ice, something a local coffee shop offered (calling it a Frizzante). At first my cycling buddies made fun of me. Then they tried it and now all order the same. ;-)

crankles 01-01-2024 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_douglas (Post 3332668)

I totally get this...

I grew up on Dunkin Coffee...'regular' for those who know. I was in high school and the summer crew I was working with picked me up and drove straight to DD every morning. It's probably swill, but it brings back memories. To this day it's the only coffee a drink with sugar...which is why I will never know how really bad it is..

My wife and I just like good coffee, be it drip or espresso. I've had a commercial machine in my kitchen for the past 25+ years and the latest machine had me pulling 220 to the kitchen. That being said, we drink drip 1st thing in the morning...followed by caps late morning and espresso in the afternoon.

We enjoy the drip, and like having an other quick cup at the ready, but I nice shot of espresso is simply just a different animal...