The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Paceline smokers, come out of the closet! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235847)

Mzilliox 03-26-2019 09:15 AM

We have all kinds of the vapebros here. Gross too. They have these incredibly disgusting flavors like bananas and buttered popcorn. I think it depends where you live. 10 mins in my town and will will see a straight bill ball cap leaking huge clouds of vapor.
Hospital employyes smoke a lot too. How bout that?
Weed for me. Eating it does nothing, metabolism n such. Smoking quiets the demons.

oldpotatoe 03-26-2019 09:25 AM

Son does tobacco code/law enforcement in Denver..YUGE problem with underage e-cigs/vaping. 'Probably' going to be over 21 in about a month in Denver..going to make things 'interesting'..for Denver and my kid..he's REALLY busy and successful busting places for selling under 18 now. Only section of Denver code enforcement that 'pays' for itself.

makoti 03-26-2019 09:33 AM

This thread reminds me of work. I work with nurses & Dr's who smoke. It's hard to understand how healthcare pros can do that, but not as hard as the Respiratory Therapist who smokes. He sees the effects of smoking EVERY SINGLE DAY, intubating pt's who can't breath on their own, and yet... always smells like an ashtray. How do you do that?

FlashUNC 03-26-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makoti (Post 2518806)
This thread reminds me of work. I work with nurses & Dr's who smoke. It's hard to understand how healthcare pros can do that, but not as hard as the Respiratory Therapist who smokes. He sees the effects of smoking EVERY SINGLE DAY, intubating pt's who can't breath on their own, and yet... always smells like an ashtray. How do you do that?

As Whitman said, we contain multitudes.

Shoeman 03-26-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Nicotine helps you focus and relieves the stress in a stressful occupation. Not to mention it is one of the most addictive drugs known to man. Once you are Hooked you are really Hooked.

papa bless 03-26-2019 12:15 PM

I have to admit, after a particularly tough ride, nothing really hits the spot like a fat wad of Copenhagen. I know it's absolutely gross for everyone around me, but a Miller light and a dip are the perfect post race recovery.

Duende 03-26-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa bless (Post 2518895)
I have to admit, after a particularly tough ride, nothing really hits the spot like a fat wad of Copenhagen. I know it's absolutely gross for everyone around me, but a Miller light and a dip are the perfect post race recovery.

Ha!

Growing up in the Southwest it was either Copenhagen or skoal in junior high... then Winston or Marlboros in high school.

zambenini 03-26-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2518809)
As Whitman said, we contain multitudes.

Post of the day.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2metalhips 03-26-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

It wasn't that long ago that doctors would prescribe and advertise smoking.

tsarpepe 03-26-2019 05:24 PM

I grew up in a country in which it was customary for pretty much all doctors to smoke; and they did so in the hospital building; no, not in a designated area, but right in offices and examination rooms.

pdmtong 03-26-2019 05:50 PM

My FIL died from a massive smoking-induced cardiac.

Of course we told him he should quit. he wanted to quit. He knew it was bad. and he couldn't quit.

Addiiction...thats the nasty vile habit.

Stop smoking. Lose weight. Exercise.

Simple to say, but for many it is very hard/impossible to do.

buddybikes 03-26-2019 07:49 PM

My brother is a respitory therapist. His wife, son, and 2 son in-laws smoke. I can't logically understand how he accepts it, but this come from my immediate family who in case of my daughter is severly allergic/migraines with just the smell on people's clothes. She hasn't seen my brother's family in probably 10 years.

Agree, Juul's and such are hooking the next generation. Could this be controlled better, I think so, but then again I am a flaming liberal so keep my mouth shut here.

Louis 03-26-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 (Post 2519076)
Could this be controlled better, I think so,

Nah.

Let's wait 25 years until all the negative consequences are incredibly, painfully, obvious, followed by 10 more years of legal battles, then perhaps something might be done about it.

benb 03-27-2019 07:52 AM

I kind of think this is the same thing as anti-vaccine.

No younger people today remember seeing their relatives killed & maimed by vaccine preventable diseases, so easy to brush off those diseases and worry about a bogeyman instead.

Likewise with so many fewer tobacco smokers less younger people have seen a relative die horribly.

My grandfather died absolutely horribly from lung cancer which metastasized into brain cancer. I'm old enough to remember. My grandfather was not the only one in the family. My youngest brother is not, my son is definitely not. Because basically no one smokes in the extended family anymore In 7-10 years when my son is entering his teen years he will not have any memory of anyone close to him dying from smoking related illness.. it will not be the same as it was for me at all if he's encountering peer pressure.

We have the same scenario with alcohol in my family. I grew up seeing severe affects of alcoholism in my extended family including numerous relatives dying very early... practically every time I even see a drink all that stuff comes back. But that's all ancient history now and my son will not think about any of that at all when he's entering impressionable high school/college years.

buddybikes 03-27-2019 08:06 AM

If smokers who are in nursing/care facilities or even out in public could talk with middle schoolers it may make some impact. There have been some public service ads done, but personalize it, may save a kid or two.

This was done years ago with group I was involved with