The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   RIP Dario!?!?!? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=226793)

54ny77 08-23-2018 07:58 PM

Sad to hear. RIP to a true craftsman.

Clean39T 08-23-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merckx (Post 2415359)
This is profoundly poignant. Thank you for writing this.

+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Elefantino 08-23-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2415231)
Godspeed. He built great frames and, by all accounts, was a pretty great guy.

Time to dust off the Peg for a couple rides this weekend.

The Peg should never, ever be dusty.

A cycling icon. Sad day.

The Basquiat Respos are perhaps the greatest bikes ever made.

maxcolumbus 08-23-2018 08:08 PM

Addio Maestro.

joep2517 08-23-2018 08:10 PM

RIP Dario. You will be missed. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb01742 (Post 2415355)
Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.

Thank you for sharing this...

climbgdh 08-23-2018 08:24 PM

I am very saddened by this..... RIP Dario. I’m lucky to own one his bikes.... a Duende. An amazing bike built by a true craftsman and master of his trade. Thoughts to his family........

DG24 08-23-2018 08:36 PM

I have always had a soft spot for the short Rapha film of Dario.

RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQF1nadGRg

huck*this 08-23-2018 08:40 PM

What an amazing human being. A true legend to the sport. Glad I was able to own one of his masterpieces. RIP Round!

https://theradavist.com/wp-content/u...egoretti-7.jpg

David Kirk 08-23-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb01742 (Post 2415355)
Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.

Thank you.

dave

joev 08-23-2018 08:54 PM

Never seen one in person...don't know anyone personally who has ridden one...but from all comment here on this forum his frames could be the ones that are most adored. An era has now passed.:(

Caballero 08-23-2018 09:00 PM

What ****ty news .... wish I’d bought Ryuns big leg Emma

mjb266 08-23-2018 09:02 PM

I think I'll crack a beer, put on some jazz, and go work on a bike tonight.

Might not be the Peg,

doesn't need to be,

But as one beer becomes two, and the music plays on, I'll reflect on the man, and consider if I am living my life with as much passion as he did.

chriscap 08-23-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb266 (Post 2415418)
I think I'll crack a beer, put on some jazz, and go work on a bike tonight.

Might not be the Peg,

doesn't need to be,

But as one beer becomes two, and the music plays on, I'll reflect on the man, and consider if I am living my life with as much passion as he did.

Very well said. Dario's passion fed the passion of so many others - what a wonderful gift to give to the world.

Riposare in Pace

Never 08-23-2018 09:32 PM

:( :( :(

I do not know if there is a Heaven or not, but if there is one I bet that a new arrival is now sitting outside, dressed in old khakis and a flannel shirt, on the warm and worn stone steps in some dusky soft garden, with half a sigarette and some whiskey, winking back at the stars, all those ashes mixing together, smiling freely and softly humming in that wonderful, kind Veneto-Trentino accent:

Laughs and jokes
And drinks and smokes
And no lights on the stairs
We were young, so young
And always broke
Not that we ever cared
Not that we ever cared

And, if there is no Heaven, he is doing all of that anyway.

saab2000 08-23-2018 09:47 PM

I've had the amazing fortune to meet a few masters of their trade in my time and meeting Dario Pegoretti was one of those meetings. He proclaimed himself to be just a plumber or welder and I believe all of this. But he clearly had a knack for design, art and human interaction and my short interaction with him at NAHBS was, and remains, a highlight of that quick visit, and indeed, my life with bike builders of the highest order. These are not simple machines to design or construct but he did it at the highest level for the most discerning of riders at the top of their game. Too short and now lost to the dusts of the passage of time.

Humbled and honored to have met a true master and gentleman.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1856/4...a1fa7cf60a.jpg