The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: 2019-20 NBA Discussions (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=238946)

Jaybee 09-03-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2787815)
I think if anyone has an argument to make it'd be Giannis that his hand on Butler didn't affect the shot since the ball was already in flight, but the call on Dragic was absolutely the right one imo. He gave Middleton no room to land and camped under him. That's Bruce Bowen level BS and I'm glad it was called.

If anything, the refs should be calling stuff in the last 30 seconds. It's the most important part of the game, so the rules should matter then more than ever.

And I know it's not on Paul, but massive chokejob by OKC in the last 90 seconds of that game.

https://twitter.com/channingfrye/sta...69242550296578

and

https://twitter.com/channingfrye/sta...66592048046080
:)

And I agree on the refs. It's a hard job, but they got pretty much everything correct by the letter, which is really what we should be asking of them.

XXtwindad 09-03-2020 11:34 AM

Steve Nash hired as Nets coach.

Seems like a great move. Keen basketball mind. Do PGs make better coaches? On paper, it was seem like a natural fit. Steve Kerr, Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Spoelstra.

OTH: Jason Kidd.

jtakeda 09-03-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2787815)

If anything, the refs should be calling stuff in the last 30 seconds. It's the most important part of the game, so the rules should matter then more than ever.

And I know it's not on Paul, but massive chokejob by OKC in the last 90 seconds of that game.

I agree that the officiating was correct. But I feel like historically the refs never called those kinds of plays in the last 30 seconds of the game so to call them now seems a like a big shift in expectations.

Paul choked on the floater but he also barely shot the ball in the 4th. OKC had that game and totally blew it

Jaybee 09-03-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2787895)
Seems like a great move. Keen basketball mind. Do PGs make better coaches? On paper, it was seem like a natural fit. Steve Kerr, Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Spoelstra.

OTH: Jason Kidd.

One of these is not like the others. ;)

Nash might work out, he might not - I do think the list of extremely gifted players that really made it work as coaches is short. On the one hand, he seems intelligent and empathetic and a good communicator, which are qualities that Kerr, Rivers, Spoelstra share. On the other, he was gifted with top 0.001% basketball vision, an ability to see things on the court before they happen, and I'm not sure if he will be able to translate that to his players. Magic and Bird, for example, never quite got there.

FlashUNC 09-03-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybee (Post 2787930)
One of these is not like the others. ;)

Nash might work out, he might not - I do think the list of extremely gifted players that really made it work as coaches is short. On the one hand, he seems intelligent and empathetic and a good communicator, which are qualities that Kerr, Rivers, Spoelstra share. On the other, he was gifted with top 0.001% basketball vision, an ability to see things on the court before they happen, and I'm not sure if he will be able to translate that to his players. Magic and Bird, for example, never quite got there.

Whoa let's pump the brakes on Larry Legend being a bad coach. The only reason those loaded Pacers teams didn't win a ring were due to those Jordan Bulls and young Shaq and Kobe.

The list of MVP, Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year is mighty short.

Bob Ross 09-03-2020 01:22 PM

Has Nash ever coached a day in his life?

XXtwindad 09-03-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Ross (Post 2787966)
Has Nash ever coached a day in his life?

He did a pretty good job with the "Seven Seconds or Less" Suns :)

Jaybee 09-03-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2787944)
Whoa let's pump the brakes on Larry Legend being a bad coach. The only reason those loaded Pacers teams didn't win a ring were due to those Jordan Bulls and young Shaq and Kobe.

The list of MVP, Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year is mighty short.

You're right. He was 147-67 career. For some reason I remembered him being more of a .500 guy, and much better as an executive than a coach.

Carry on.

Jaybee 09-03-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2787969)
He did a pretty good job with the "Seven Seconds or Less" Suns :)

The real answer is that Steve Nash will probably be fine because he has Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving on his team.

And I know you're joking, but let's not slander Mike d'Antoni, who is one of the 3 or 4 people most responsible for rescuing us from the late 90's early 00's bad wrestling masquerading as basketball. :)

RonW87 09-03-2020 09:04 PM

OG’s miracle buzzer beater keeps Raps alive against Celtics! Shades of the Kawhi four-banger!

xnetter 09-03-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonW87 (Post 2788206)
OG’s miracle buzzer beater keeps Raps alive against Celtics! Shades of the Kawhi four-banger!

Total bonkers play. Amazing jack and an even better pass from KL.

Raps were starting to look their selves again on the offensive end in the 2nd half for the first time this series using zone, attacking the basket in transition and making some 3s. Hope this lights a fire under 'em.

KJ

Spaghetti Legs 09-04-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnetter (Post 2788244)
Total bonkers play. Amazing jack and an even better pass from KL.

Raps were starting to look their selves again on the offensive end in the 2nd half for the first time this series using zone, attacking the basket in transition and making some 3s. Hope this lights a fire under 'em.

KJ

Agree, KL downplayed it afterward, but that pass was perfect. More than a foot diverged in either direction and OG’s shooting motion would have been skewered and he also may not have been able to get the shot off in time.

XXtwindad 09-04-2020 08:19 AM

Lakers v Rockets

Anyone like the Rockets against the Lakers? I love PJ Tucker, and he’s been pretty effective defensively against AD. Can small ball thwart the King?

I’m guessing not.

xnetter 09-04-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2788403)
Anyone like the Rockets against the Lakers? I love PJ Tucker, and he’s been pretty effective defensively against AD. Can small ball thwart the King?

I’m guessing not.

People say keeping a rhythm is preferable to being super rested but if the Nuggets/Clippers game was any indication, the Lakers are in good shape for game 1. It must be tough both mentally and physically to go from a gritty 7-game duel straight into the jaws of an even better team.

KJ

FlashUNC 09-04-2020 10:12 AM

If AD disappears at all, the Lakers have problems. But otherwise? I doubt it. Harden would need to go full Super Saiyan for the entire series. I just don't see it happening.