The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zwift Paceline Group Ride (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=180930)

ergott 01-28-2016 07:32 PM

Where are these group rides posted?

carpediemracing 01-28-2016 07:50 PM

I haven't been on Zwift in a while, mainly because I can't. Other than being deathly ill I also happened to have lost the computer that ran Zwift.

My only Zwift compatible computer bit the dust, I think a hardware failure. I can't get it diagnosed at this point, meaning I'm literally unable to go to an Apple store. So for now that computer is sitting to the side, waiting.

Realized I had something that might work, a desktop upgrade that happened to be 64bit that I bought but never actually built. It was to be a guts-upgrade of a big desktop I had that had a power supply failure, and I decided to upgrade everything while I was unplugging everything. Pretty solid spec CPU, motherboard, RAM. Reusing all the drives. When I was building it I thought I was missing something.

Yep, this board didn't have an onboard video card, and I never ordered one. I realized after the fact that I decided to order the card when I actually did the upgrade so as to get a reasonably decent card (I know myself well enough that the upgrade may not happen for years). I don't have any compatible with it so that desktop is now sitting to the side also.

Good news is that I can order a video card so I will.

bcroslin 01-28-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergott (Post 1906038)
Where are these group rides posted?

Go here: https://www.facebook.com/gozwift/

and subscribe to their events

I did the Richmond Rally tonight and saw at least one other PL'er (Mark?) on the ride. I got dropped on the downhill somehow and then chased like a madman and then my trainer crapped out and that was that. I nearly got back to the front group but after my trainer dropped the signal the second time I was done. Sigh.

Anyway, overall I got 33 miles in and it was just as hard as any local training ride. It was a blast when I was with the group and I definitely think we should try and organize a PL ride sometime soon.

ergott 01-28-2016 09:02 PM

Thanks!

shovelhd 01-28-2016 10:03 PM

I did a lap of the underground race at 9:30. The way this works is you set your computer date back a day before you log in, log in, and set it back. This puts you in the course from the day before, which in this case was Watopia, while all the other 650 riders were on Richmond. There were about 15 of us at the start, split into two groups, A/B and C/D. I rode C based on my ZTR category. Took the green jersey on the first sprint, got away a couple times and chased down, then pulled out after a lap since I have to work tomorrow. I've done a bunch of rides and races on Zwift and it's a very different experience when you have the course to yourselves.

shovelhd 01-28-2016 10:04 PM

There is also a ride calendar on Teamup.com.

kramnnim 01-28-2016 10:19 PM

TGIF ride on Fridays at 8 PM EST is a nice easy pace. Richmond does make it kind of annoying with the trio of hills.

andrew+ 01-29-2016 12:53 AM

I'd love to join in on a Paceline group ride. I've been on Zwift a lot recently.

If your trainer signal is dropping (the power drops to 0 randomly), you probably need to get a USB extension cable to plug your ANT dongle into.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-E...=usb+extension

shovelhd 01-29-2016 05:08 AM

I use a 16' powered Belkin extension and a Garmin dongle with no issues.

Gat64 01-29-2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 1906134)
I did a lap of the underground race at 9:30. The way this works is you set your computer date back a day before you log in, log in, and set it back. This puts you in the course from the day before, which in this case was Watopia, while all the other 650 riders were on Richmond. There were about 15 of us at the start, split into two groups, A/B and C/D. I rode C based on my ZTR category. Took the green jersey on the first sprint, got away a couple times and chased down, then pulled out after a lap since I have to work tomorrow. I've done a bunch of rides and races on Zwift and it's a very different experience when you have the course to yourselves.

Location doping! I love it!

bcroslin 01-29-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 1906134)

That's what people were talking about! I was wondering since I was seeing some chatter about turning dates back.

bcroslin 01-29-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew+ (Post 1906193)
I'd love to join in on a Paceline group ride. I've been on Zwift a lot recently.

If your trainer signal is dropping (the power drops to 0 randomly), you probably need to get a USB extension cable to plug your ANT dongle into.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-E...=usb+extension

Good to know. I've got one of those laying around somewhere. I'll give it a try.

54ny77 01-29-2016 09:06 AM

would any of you mind describing the actual physical setup you use for zwift? meaning, how do you have everything connected? apps, wires, etc., and particularly for those who have a computrainer.

for reference, my basement bike trainer setup is a computrainer, my android smartphone, and a t.v. with chromecast, which i use to watch youtube videos of bike races streamed from my phone.

i looked at the zwift app while on the phone but couldn't really understand the pricing, so i gave up.

thanks for any tips. :beer:

bcroslin 01-29-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54ny77 (Post 1906327)
would any of you mind describing the actual physical setup you use for zwift? meaning, how do you have everything connected? apps, wires, etc., and particularly for those who have a computrainer.

for reference, my basement bike trainer setup is a computrainer, my android smartphone, and a t.v. with chromecast, which i use to watch youtube videos of bike races streamed from my phone.

i looked at the zwift app while on the phone but couldn't really understand the pricing, so i gave up.

thanks for any tips. :beer:

My setup is a Tacx Bushido, Mac Mini (2012) running Zwift, ant+ dongle and an iPhone 6 running the Zwift iPhone app. I have the mini hooked up to my TV. It works pretty well except for the occasional signal drop that I'm hoping the USB extension cable will fix.

54ny77 01-29-2016 09:36 AM

pardon my ignorance, but what is ant+ dongle, and how is it used?

also, i take it your mac computer is hooked up to your tacx trainer via a usb cable, right?