The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spectrum cycles nearing the end of the road (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234830)

91Bear 03-01-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2507473)
wow, first Ritchie and now Tom...the bike biz is a-changin'

Don't forget Bruce Gordon a few years back.

djg 03-01-2019 09:02 AM

Tom, I just want to say thank you for building me a great bike (with a beautiful paint job too). You’re the tops — glad you are winding down on your own terms.

93KgBike 03-01-2019 09:15 AM

What a week!

Congratulations to you both. I've had many wallpapers of your work.

And like others, your mark will continue to be a benchmark for American fabrication! Thank you.

Have fun.

FlashUNC 03-01-2019 09:24 AM

I was just speaking with someone last night about framebuilders and both agreed Spectrum and Tom were in that rarified Top 5.

Congrats to Tom and Jeff.

Mzilliox 03-01-2019 09:28 AM

congrats...

That boys 2 men songs comes to mind. "end of the road"

never had the pleasure to ride one of yours, but it was close a few times. i suppose that day still may arrive.

best of luck

weaponsgrade 03-01-2019 11:24 AM

It's a big changing of the guard this week. Tom, congrats on your run of carrying the torch. My brother-in-law has a Spectrum I bought him. I grew up in the next county over - Bucks Country. I didn't get into road biking until much later in life and after I had moved out of the area. I still feel a shared connection to my home stomping grounds and have often fantasized about taking a little excursion to the barn when I go back east to visit family.

Blue Jays 03-01-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaponsgrade (Post 2507632)
"...My brother-in-law has a Spectrum I bought him..."

In other breaking news, weaponsgrade was just voted "In-Law of the Decade" by Gracious Family magazine.

cnighbor1 03-01-2019 11:43 AM

Here are some photos of thier work

8 Attachment(s)
enjoy
Charles

berserk87 03-01-2019 11:51 AM

Thanks to Spectrum

Tom and Jeff both had a hand in retubing a DeRosa that I had stacked up in a crash early in my race career. Tom counseled me via phone about the repair and I think that Jeff actually did the physical work.

Not only did they raise my DeRosa from the dead, they embellished it with a nicer coat of paint than from the factory (it was kinda like the factory paint scheme on steroids) and added a few cool custom decals that were subtle but awesome. The only downside was that this gave my wife room to joke that the DeRosa was the only bike that I ever bought twice.

They have left their mark on American cycling in a good way. Thanks for being part of the journey, guys.

bob heinatz 03-01-2019 11:54 AM

Congratulation to both Tom and Jeff. Yes it is well deserved. It also marks a time when tradtional hand filed lugged steel bikes are slowly disappearing. I have always wanted to have Tom & Jeff build me a steel bike but it is not in the budget this year. Anyway I still have a Spectrum Ti frame to build up sometime in the near future. Best of luck in retirement.

weaponsgrade 03-01-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Jays (Post 2507645)
In other breaking news, weaponsgrade was just voted "In-Law of the Decade" by Gracious Family magazine.

Well, it was a used one. The sad part is that I don’t think he rides it much.

Jef58 03-01-2019 08:04 PM

As in the e-richie thread, congratulations to another distinguished career from another mainstay in American frame building. Fact is, both scenarios are not some faceless, nameless companies. Both were active participants in engaging in the cycling community throughout their time in business. That is the X factor that cannot be replaced... Good luck.

rnhood 03-02-2019 08:23 AM

Some of the nicest scalloped seat stays I’ve ever seen were on Spectrums.

Climb01742 03-02-2019 08:53 AM

I was lucky enough to visit the barn. Really cool experience. Memorable. Some of the most talented folks you meet are the most unassuming, unpretentious too. The barn and Tom are about as authentic as it gets.

Kirk007 03-02-2019 11:57 AM

Ugh. To get back in line or be happy with what I've got. I'm glad I made it to the barn a couple years ago!

Congrats Tom and Jeff; your work is an amazing legacy.