The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Pro's Closet at it again (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=277134)

RoosterCogset 01-09-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 3034621)
I try not to be too judgmental on these things since markets define prices and they will either sell or not, but this one caught my eye.

Lauf True Grit, used from TPC, appears to be completely stock minus a new chain. $3549.99 https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-true-grit-m-1

Lauf True Grit, new from Lauf and currently in stock, essentially same components, $2890 (up to $3280 with some paint options).
https://www.laufcycling.com/product/lauf-true-grit

And... already sold.
https://2fh5i43wsx5r19eigo3r7ifi-wpe...rn-585x353.jpg

prototoast 01-09-2022 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterCogset (Post 3034843)

I guess this proves they know their customers a lot better than I do.

tomato coupe 01-09-2022 11:43 PM

That's really incredible. Prior to this, I don't think I've ever seen anything sell online for more than it's worth.

oldpotatoe 01-10-2022 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 3035047)
That's really incredible. Prior to this, I don't think I've ever seen anything sell online for more than it's worth.

"Worth" is such a big word. How about 'more than MSRP'? Used Honda's are selling for more than NEW of the same model(just went thru this with my son).
Obviously 'worth it' to the person that bought it.

But never seen anything sell online for a silly amount of $? jeez..google-
Watches
Guitars
Campagnolo 10s stuff
Vintage motorcycles or cars
Airplanes
Vintage radios
Vintage military stuff, like aviator's gear

etc, blah, etc....

RoosterCogset 01-10-2022 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 3035047)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 3035074)
"Worth" is such a big word. How about 'more than MSRP'? Used Honda's are selling for more than NEW of the same model(just went thru this with my son).
Obviously 'worth it' to the person that bought it.

But never seen anything sell online for a silly amount of $? jeez..google-
Watches
Guitars
Campagnolo 10s stuff
Vintage motorcycles or cars
Airplanes
Vintage radios
Vintage military stuff, like aviator's gear

etc, blah, etc....

We get it, you gotta be proud of the local biz that made it big. That said, in this instance this bike is currently available new, to ship, directly from Lauf (maybe in another color choice though) within 7 days. But apparently 2019 is now considered vintage and collectible.

oldpotatoe 01-10-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterCogset (Post 3035086)
We get it, you gotta be proud of the local biz that made it big. That said, in this instance this bike is currently available new, to ship, directly from Lauf (maybe in another color choice though) within 7 days. But apparently 2019 is now considered vintage and collectible.

Don't gotta be 'proud' of anything. No dog in the Pro's Closet 'hunt'.
I get what you are saying, but I was referring to the use of the VERY BIG WORD 'worth'..not 'worth it' to you, 10-4, understand. It was 'worth it' to somebody since it sold. The $ not 'worth it' to me, even any new one, nor any bikeouttabox' from any manufacturer at any price, including the Lauf.

tomato coupe 01-10-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterCogset (Post 3035086)

No dog in this hunt either. The vast majority of used bikes sell for more than I think they're worth, and I don't care. It's no skin off my nose if they're worth more to someone else. All this hand-wringing over the prices that TPC is asking is silly -- if the prices are too high for you, don't buy the bikes.

tomato coupe 01-10-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 3035074)
"Worth" is such a big word...

Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm emoji ...

Geemalar 01-10-2022 03:29 PM

Showing my age but the Sy Sims motto from back in the day………An educated consumer is our best customer……….must not apply in this situation where you are buying a used version of something for more than you can buy it new for.

There must be a reason it sold for more than new………I’m sure both parties are happy with the transaction.

Blown Reek 01-10-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geemalar (Post 3035392)
Showing my age but the Sy Sims motto from back in the day………An educated consumer is our best customer……….must not apply in this situation where you are buying a used version of something for more than you can buy it new for.

SYMS! Now that's a blast from the past.

adub 01-10-2022 03:42 PM

It's quite bizarre that people are upset because there is a business that buys used bikes and resells them for a profit?

RoosterCogset 01-10-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adub (Post 3035399)
It's quite bizarre that people are upset because there is a business that buys used bikes and resells them for a profit?

I think it's more about people are bewildered that other people buy used bikes for more than new prices. If this sticks, it ain't going to help new bike prices either. yeah yeah.. capitalism at work etc

mstateglfr 01-10-2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adub (Post 3035399)

11th page of the thread and that is your takeaway?

cinema 01-11-2022 05:56 AM

gotta admit, after frequenting this forum and sport for more than a couple decades combined it’s a kick to see TPC come in and sell used stuff more than msrp. ever since i remember we had to explain to posters who would lament why their beautiful bicycles were not selling—every time the answer was simply : “The market is soft.” Everyone here myself included never expected to get more than 50% for their used stuff. the market is having a moment it’s interesting to see.

come to think of it, like almost everything now, this is also a result of SEO gaming. amazon can do it internally as well. lots of consolidation and consumers unaware of competition—will pay 2x as much for something on amazon because they are literally unaware of other outlets. and google leads them to these rip off retailers too.

oldpotatoe 01-11-2022 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterCogset (Post 3035400)
I think it's more about people are bewildered that other people buy used bikes for more than new prices. If this sticks, it ain't going to help new bike prices either. yeah yeah.. capitalism at work etc

One bike on one inter web, used bike retailer. I guess, if I had the time and inclination, I could find others, at TPC or maybe here..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31382415084...UAAOSwFEhh2LH0

I know vintage stuff but 99.8% favorable feedback...hmm....