PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Concours with S&S couplers?

kgreene10
11-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Can it be done?

My understanding is that the Concours uses butted tubes and I have been under the impression that the thinner walls of butted tubes at the point where the S&S couplers would be added make the tube too weak to make it work correctly.

However, there's a nice Concours for sale in the classified section that would make for a superb travel bike.

The fine folks at Serotta seem extra busy these days and Bilenky is probably getting ready for the family holiday, so information is hard to come by at the moment.

Does anyone know the answer to this question and, if so, how would a coupled Concours perform?

Thanks.

echappist
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Can it be done?

My understanding is that the Concours uses butted tubes and I have been under the impression that the thinner walls of butted tubes at the point where the S&S couplers would be added make the tube too weak to make it work correctly.

However, there's a nice Concours for sale in the classified section that would make for a superb travel bike.

The fine folks at Serotta seem extra busy these days and Bilenky is probably getting ready for the family holiday, so information is hard to come by at the moment.

Does anyone know the answer to this question and, if so, how would a coupled Concours perform?

Thanks.

email Steve Smilanick directly and get his take on it.

I have seen Lynskeys with butted tubes retrofitted with couplers, and i would imagine the same can be done with yours. I've also called Bilenky about it and was told that they have the capability to do it. But it never hurts to call them up tomorrow. I think i called them the day before New Year.

schwa86
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Have been thinking about this with my CDA. You may want to have a look at this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=96109&highlight=S%26S

kgreene10
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks. This thread is only about shaped tubes. My question is about butted tubes. Anyone know?

oliver1850
11-23-2011, 01:15 PM
My understanding is that Serotta didn't like to (or wouldn't) retrofit bikes with couplers because they didn't like the positioning of the butts in the tubes. You could certainly still have it done, but the builder might want to replace the top tube and down tube (or whole front triangle). I would check with Kelly Bedford. He knows the frame and the process.