PDA

View Full Version : 13-26 cassette 13 cog hitting backstay

mso
11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Dan LaFoot ran into a problem today building up the Kirk. The 13 tooth cog hits the backstay (which I immediatley touched up, no chips on my baby :) ) Dan took it to our LBS and wrench told him that the Kirk backstay won't accept the 13 cog. Has anyone else had this experience?

oldpotatoe
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Dan LaFoot ran into a problem today building up the Kirk. The 13 tooth cog hits the backstay (which I immediatley touched up, no chips on my baby :) ) Dan took it to our LBS and wrench told him that the Kirk backstay won't accept the 13 cog. Has anyone else had this experience?

Have seen this with some Watertfords..yes, the seat stay/dropout junction needs to be such that the chain doesn't hit the stay. Kinda a build issue. A predicament that is like 9s/10s/11s.

fatallightning
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
try putting a small washer between the dropout and hub endcap. kind of a cludge, but depending on how tight it is, it may work.

Dan Le foot
11-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Have seen this with some Watertfords..yes, the seat stay/dropout junction needs to be such that the chain doesn't hit the stay. Kinda a build issue. A predicament that is like 9s/10s/11s.
Thanks Peter.
Never thought that would be a problem. :crap:
Wrench at the LBS said he would bring in a 12 tooth like new cog from his home bike box we could have. (Nice man)
Any problem making the shift from the 12 to the 14 cog with the Campy 10 short cage?
Dan

don compton
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
My wife's bike has the same problem and I have not found a fix. The modern hubs are not as flexible as the old freewheel hubs regarding the position of the axle-hub relationship.My wife's frame is very small and the Ritchey dropouts are very poorly designed relative to this issue. Oh well. We just block the high gear cog. :crap:
don

martinrjensen
11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Yes I had the same problem with an old Merckx. I just took the 13 off and put on a 12 and solved the issue. The 13 was allowing the chain to hit the chain stay. A 12 worked fine so the only thing I lost was a smoother shift which I never noticed because if I'm going that fast the shifting is probably under low pressure and shifting a couple teeth is still smooth.

oldpotatoe
11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks Peter.
Never thought that would be a problem. :crap:
Wrench at the LBS said he would bring in a 12 tooth like new cog from his home bike box we could have. (Nice man)
Any problem making the shift from the 12 to the 14 cog with the Campy 10 short cage?
Dan

That may be an issue since the 12t wraps a lot of chain. With those hubs, not much you can do to space the hub. One some you can but not Campagnolo.

'May' want to spend the $ to make a 12-26 or 29..need two cogsets to do that tho. Mix 12-25 and 13-26(9).

Just had this yesterday on a Legend Ti...

Dan Le foot
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
That may be an issue since the 12t wraps a lot of chain. With those hubs, not much you can do to space the hub. One some you can but not Campagnolo.

'May' want to spend the $ to make a 12-26 or 29..need two cogsets to do that tho. Mix 12-25 and 13-26(9).

Thanks Peter.
I sent you a PM.
Dan

Chance
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Or since he's running a 13-26 (2:1 gear range) presently he may also be able to go to an 11-23 or 12-25 standard cassette with proportionally smaller rings to solve the problem for good.

bicycletricycle
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
a file and repaint would fix for good.

wallymann
11-22-2011, 10:38 AM

yep.

David Kirk
11-22-2011, 10:56 AM

You are right.

When I built this frame way back when for the original owner they had no need to run a campy 13T in the rear. The campy 13T set up is very demanding of space and a few bikes were built that didn't have enough room for a campy 13T - Shimano and Sram no problem - but campy was too tight.

I have offered to give this bike the clearance needed for the 13T for no charge if the owner wants to send the frame back to me. It's a very quick and low impact deal that involves removing just a bit or material where the s-stay meets the dropout and then dabbing on a bit of touch up paint. Simple stuff.

When I discovered that there was an interference issue with the campy 13 the set up was tweaked slightly to be sure there was room on all the bikes going out the door and it became a non-issue.

At this point I'm waiting on Dan to tell me if he wants to use a 12T or send it back to me. I'm cool either way.

I hope that helps.

dave

merlinmurph
11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I have offered to give this bike the clearance needed for the 13T for no charge if the owner wants to send the frame back to me.

Can't beat that for service.
Murph

fatallightning
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
13t orrrrrrr htfu.

;)

ultraman6970
11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Seen this...

bambam
11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I run a 13-29 on my kirk and it has rubbed the inner seat stay as well. But this may have happened when my rear derailler threw the chain outside the 13 tooth cog.

This also happened on my previous cannondale that I ran a 12-25 on.

I just put some touch up paint on it and part of a chain stay protector.
Now the protector has gotten chewed up a bit but this could be from removing the back wheel.
I don't hear it rubbing.
BamBam

Dan Le foot
11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
You are right.

When I built this frame way back when for the original owner they had no need to run a campy 13T in the rear. The campy 13T set up is very demanding of space and a few bikes were built that didn't have enough room for a campy 13T - Shimano and Sram no problem - but campy was too tight.

I have offered to give this bike the clearance needed for the 13T for no charge if the owner wants to send the frame back to me. It's a very quick and low impact deal that involves removing just a bit or material where the s-stay meets the dropout and then dabbing on a bit of touch up paint. Simple stuff.

When I discovered that there was an interference issue with the campy 13 the set up was tweaked slightly to be sure there was room on all the bikes going out the door and it became a non-issue.

At this point I'm waiting on Dan to tell me if he wants to use a 12T or send it back to me. I'm cool either way.

I hope that helps.

dave
Thanks, Dave.
As usual, great customer service. If the bike wasn't already built up Michelle would have probably mailed it to you. We had a Campy 12-25 on there previously so I think we will go in that direction.
I do have a Drummel tool but Michelle wouldn't let me get near her baby with it. :no:
She is thinking maybe she should sell this one and have you build one special for her. We would have to come up to Bozeman to pick it up next summer and be forced to enjoy the great hiking, cycling and fly fishing you have up there.
Dan

David Kirk
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
She is thinking maybe she should sell this one and have you build one special for her. We would have to come up to Bozeman to pick it up next summer and be forced to enjoy the great hiking, cycling and fly fishing you have up there.
Dan

Now that sounds like a plan. let me know when you are coming and we'll make it work.

dave

rcnute
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Bill Davidson did this for me (on a non-Davidson bike)--easy as pie.

Ryan