PDA

View Full Version : Another (gulp!) Rapha question

67-59
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I really, really don't intend for this to start another debate about the quality and price of Rapha vs other companies, but....

Could somebody tell me what they've done for their after-Christmas sale in the past? I'm specifically wondering if they (1) just gave bigger discounts on the items that were already on clearance, (2) just added new specific items (like winter gear) to the clearance page, or (3) gave an across the board discount on everything (including staples like the classic jersey, and base layers). Thanks!

FlashUNC
11-21-2011, 01:31 PM
More the first two, from what I recall. Deeper discounts on summer jerseys they're dumping stock of, and maybe adding some winter stuff to the sale mix as that season starts to wind down.

Lovetoclimb
11-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Yep, seems to be 2 sales per year, as they lower inventory of out of season items, and make way for new seasonal items.

On the baselayer note, I wore one yesterday for a mud bath of a CX race. It went from cream to dark brown in 45 minutes. Two things that made me very happy about the baselayer.

1) It kept my core temp very well moderated in 45 degrees, rain, and mud (under a non insulated SS skinsuit)

2) After a wash with woolite and Dr. Bronners soap it is back to a "new" looking condition.

Just in case you were on the fence about picking some up. Had it been one of $15 Giordana baselayers with threads unraveling, I would have seriously considered putting it in the refuse bin.

tiretrax
11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Flash has it correct - winter items will be added, and discounts get deeper as time passes - up to 40% (but sizes will be limited). Register on their website for email messages.

pdmtong
11-22-2011, 12:00 AM
sale prices are generally 20-30% off BUT the core pieces never go on sale...classic jersey, softshell, stowaway, etc. as mentioned, odd sizes/colors may get discounted 40-50% but that's it. no bonktown here