PDA

View Full Version : Robin Williams

KirkKaas
07-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Anybody know why Robin was missing from Lance's posse this year?

Kirk

coylifut
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
I heard it was all the Uni-baller jokes

Bill Bove
07-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I heard he was filming a movie in Vermont and they wouldn't iterupt the schedule so he could go watch a silly bike race. I hope the movie opens and goes directly to the airlines and DVD.

One guy I know got the big ultimatum from his wife over this years tour, apparently she was sick of him never being home because he was training and then when the tour came around and when he was home all he did was watch the tour. What the heck did she think he sprung for the dish for? So she could watch the oprah channel?

JohnS
07-29-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know why he wasn't there but I'm glad he wasn't. Every time he was on OLN last year it was embarrassing.

csb
07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
eye think he put himself in the hospital trying to shave his own back.

CNY rider
07-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't know why he wasn't there but I'm glad he wasn't. Every time he was on OLN last year it was embarrassing.

I cringed when Crowe grabbed face time this year..I'll take Robin Williams double time and keep the change.

BumbleBeeDave
07-29-2005, 08:33 PM
. . . tired of him. I agree with JohnS. I know Williams is an experienced cyclist and would probably have some honestly interesting insight into the race and cycling in general. But every time I’ve seen him interviewed he goes into his “schtick.” He seems simply incapable of giving a serious, thoughtful, HONEST answer in an interview. I have to wonder what kind of issues he has that he has to act this way. Is he “on” all the time? Does he act this way at the grocery store? At the gas station? Every time he encounters ANYONE? In bed with his wife, ‘fer Pete’s sakes?

This act of his wore thin a long time ago with me. Has anyone else here ever seen him do a serious interview?

BBDave

inGobwetrust
07-29-2005, 09:19 PM
I second what BumbleBeeDave said. Hopefully he reads this forum and takes the hint. I've heard that he owns many Serottas.

Fixed
07-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Have you guys ever heard he has over 50 bikes? Cheers

scrooge
07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Have you guys ever heard he has over 50 bikes? Cheers

I've heard it's a lot more than that. There was an article in Bicycling a year or two a go (uh, yeah...I don't read it...um) that talked about his enormous storage shed of bikes. Also his ability to jet out to Montanna, Texas etc whenever he wanted for a quick ride.

bfd
07-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Robin lives in arguably one of the most exclusive parts of San Francisco, the Sea Cliff area. For those of you who know SF, his house basically overlooks China Beach. Its the huge spanish style one. I've never been in his house, but use to ride by. Surrounded by a wall, its one big house.

When you're making what $15 TO 20 MILLION PER MOVIE, jetting out to Montana, Texas or France or even paying $10K for a bike for him is like the rest of us buying a latte. And, yes, he does have over 60 bikes!

Lost Weekend
07-29-2005, 11:25 PM
I heard that he is hanging out with lance's ex :banana:

Kevin
07-30-2005, 06:03 AM
I heard that he is hanging out with lance's ex :banana:

What do you mean by "hanging out"? :banana: :banana:

Kevin

Bill Bove
07-30-2005, 07:35 AM
He has a "schtick", I like it. He still cracks me up. And I do think that he is one of the best thespians of our generation.

sc53
07-30-2005, 08:07 AM
John Kerry took his place in the car and the posse. Anyone else think that was WEIRD? Is Lance EVER?Y?WHERE, like Gump? :cool:

William
07-30-2005, 08:41 AM
NA-NU, NA-NU!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

William

BumbleBeeDave
07-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I don’t necessarily dislike the “schtick” and he can be very funny. But he does it ALL the time and it gets old. On stage it’s great, but when he’s asked a serious question--or ten--and just continually blows it off, it’s just tiresome and rude.

BBDave

oldmill
07-30-2005, 09:43 AM
BBdave, you're being too generous. He's even insufferable on stage. I sure didn't miss him on OLN this year.

Spinsistah
07-30-2005, 11:14 AM
He has a few screws loose, but I like him. Some of his movies are good, others are just awful. One Hour Photo was terrible. And yes, I wish he'd answer serious questions with serious answers, it is rude. He did donate one of his bikes to the Sunflower Revolution last year - it was raffled off at the dinner. I think that was a nice gesture to help a very good cause.

Kevan
07-30-2005, 01:04 PM
and he was very successful doing just that. Maybe he does have a hard time turning off the switch, but people by and large like his zaniness. I know I have.

The guy's purchased some Calfees too for whatever that matters.

JohnS
07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Another one who can't turn it off is Jim Carrey.

beungood
07-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Robin Williams? Move him over to the GAY Vague thread!

BumbleBeeDave
07-30-2005, 05:14 PM
. . . it’s Robin Williams or Jim Carrey, people who just cannot turn “it” off at any time just turn me off. I’ve found that class clowns who ham it up ALL the time are often compensating for something on the inside, and Williams strikes me as a classic case. From a different generation, Don Rickles also comes to mind. His schtick was supposedly good-natured insulting, but sooner or later you begin to wonder . . . people who constantly say “just kidding” usually really aren’t.

I think it would be a real pleasure to go for a ride with Robin and talk about all the places he’s been and things he’s done. I mean, the guy must be fascinating. He went from comedy all the time on screen to movies like “What Dreams May Come” and “One Hour Photo”--so he CAN be serious if he has to. It would be great to talk about that with him. But ONLY if he can shut the F*CK up with the jokes and be a real person. Five minutes of that hyperactive Meerkat routine he spouts would get him shoved in the ditch if he were on the road with me. :crap: :crap:

BBDave

Ziggurat
07-30-2005, 05:19 PM
I like him in serious roles, so it's obvious he can "turn it off"--but it's annoying when EVERY interview and he is ham&cheese the whole time

I would be interested to see him on charlie rose or the actor's studio, maybe he could be kept under control

films like good will hunting and others show that he is certainly a gifted dramatic actor, wish we could see some of that sincerity in an interview

TriJim
07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Last fall/christmas RW headlined a USO tour through the Middle East and visited us in Baghdad. His "schtick" included a monologue, but he also spoke seriously about the importance of vigilence and getting home safely. After the show he patiently posed for pictures with over 500 soldiers. I took my '04 TdF poster which he autographed "Ride On, Robin Williams."

I support the entertainers that risk their personal safety and donate their time to support our troops. Other prominent folks on my list include Toby Keith, Wayne Newton, and Rob Schneider.

Thanks for letting me share my opinion. I also wonder why he wasn't at the conclusion of this year's tour.

Kevan
07-30-2005, 05:57 PM
believe he's already done that.

Yeah Robin.. stop being yourself for just once!

shiftinjon
07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Last fall/christmas RW headlined a USO tour through the Middle East and visited us in Baghdad. His "schtick" included a monologue, but he also spoke seriously about the importance of vigilence and getting home safely. After the show he patiently posed for pictures with over 500 soldiers. I took my '04 TdF poster which he autographed "Ride On, Robin Williams."

I support the entertainers that risk their personal safety and donate their time to support our troops. Other prominent folks on my list include Toby Keith, Wayne Newton, and Rob Schneider.

Thanks for letting me share my opinion. I also wonder why he wasn't at the conclusion of this year's tour.

Thanks for posting this here.

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2005, 08:11 AM
. . .he CAN be serious with people if he has to/wants to.

BBDave

Dekonick
07-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Cut him a little slack;

I believe he is bipolar (no - not 2 HRM's) and he chooses to remain unmedicated (thus manic) as it helps him with his creativity. Bipolar people are a bit hard to live with (had a kid who lived across from my dormroom in college who was manic - couldn't get him to ever calm down or shut up unless he was taking his lithium) but its related to the disease. I agree he never stops but I do have a remote control...

dauwhe
07-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies, and Robin Williams was excellent. He can be great while being silly, or serious. Admittedly he's made some bad movies, but I certainly am grateful for his career as a whole.

DC

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2005, 05:27 PM
. . . seen anything anywhere else about his being bipolar. Where did you hear about it? It would certainly explain a lot about his creativity and demeanor if he’s deliberately chosen to remain unmedicated. Of course, the flip side of bipolar is the “down” times. The highs are real high and the lows are really, REALLY low . . .

BBDave

Serpico
07-31-2005, 05:39 PM

I believe he is bipolar (no - not 2 HRM's)...

:D

Dekonick
07-31-2005, 08:14 PM
. . . seen anything anywhere else about his being bipolar. Where did you hear about it? It would certainly explain a lot about his creativity and demeanor if he’s deliberately chosen to remain unmedicated. Of course, the flip side of bipolar is the “down” times. The highs are real high and the lows are really, REALLY low . . .

BBDave

My wife is a therapist (LCSW-C) - It has come up in general conversation before. NOT THAT she is diagnosing him or is his therapist etc... its just widely known in the community (and elsewhere) that he is bipolar. (I am probably using the wrong term for the disease as it has changed names - guess the DSM publisher needs reasons to print new books)

I asked her again about Robin Williams. It was mentioned by one of her professors when (actually more than just once) she was pursuing her masters degree. Many other famous people are suspected of being bipolar as well - Ben Franklin comes to mind...

Another interseting famous person is Jamie Lee Curtis. She is XXY (reported to be XXY) so technically she is a guy...

Of course (s)he has nothing to do with cycling and thus should probably not be discussed on this site :D
Hope the XXY topis does not offend; I was just trying to point out that there are many people with problems that we may not notice from just their appearance alone. :D

csb
07-31-2005, 08:18 PM
She is XXY (reported to be XXY)

very, very large yenta?

Elefantino
08-01-2005, 05:31 AM
I think it would be a real pleasure to go for a ride with Robin and talk about all the places he’s been and things he’s done. I mean, the guy must be fascinating. He went from comedy all the time on screen to movies like “What Dreams May Come” and “One Hour Photo”--so he CAN be serious if he has to. It would be great to talk about that with him. But ONLY if he can shut the F*CK up with the jokes and be a real person. Five minutes of that hyperactive Meerkat routine he spouts would get him shoved in the ditch if he were on the road with me.

Not to name-drop here, but I have gone for a ride with him. We talked about my mom the cancer survivor, moms in general, about her favorite movie (The Birdcage), about going to high school in the Bay Area, and stuff. He's a neat guy and a very real person. Of course, he also did Phil Liggett describing sex, which nearly caused me to bust a lung laughing.

Then he picked it up to about 30 and I watched him disappear.

Kevin
08-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Another interseting famous person is Jamie Lee Curtis. She is XXY (reported to be XXY) so technically she is a guy...

:D

Based on some of the movies she did as a younger person, I guess I am gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. :beer:

Kevin

Too Tall
08-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Carey can turn it off, he is a pretty balanced person...we have lunch often ;) Robin and his soulmate J. Winters are comedic genius both who try very hard and generally fail to conform. Both are quite affected. Leave us not chunk stones at glass houses eh boys? My sister is a professional entertainer and I've met some of these types. Patch Adams (the real one) is another, he can not "turn it off" ever...his persona is 24/7.

pjm
08-01-2005, 10:22 AM

I've seen her completely naked.....that's no guy!! :banana:

FunkyPorcini
08-01-2005, 07:06 PM
and Andy Kaufman was brilliant

csb
08-01-2005, 08:46 PM

http://www.kidsera.com/images/0397a.jpg

Too Tall
08-02-2005, 07:06 AM
ROTFLMAO

Heeeere I come to save the daaaaay.

Russell
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM

...yes he was

champlemon
08-02-2005, 09:02 AM
He's funny... the closest I've come to being on drugs is listening to him and his barrage of nonsense...