07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
www.elektrischkite.com/Bicycle/Womens/hallofame.htm

bad link on you

csb
07-29-2005, 12:57 PM
try it now jo

Bruce K
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Defintiely not our M-A. She would have been WAY too young then.

Right M-A? ;)

BK

BumbleBeeDave
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Our Ginger is FAMOUS! Pretty d@mn old, but famous nevertheless! ;)

Maybe SHE knew Ty Cobb?

BBDave

Ginger
07-29-2005, 09:05 PM
You know...I read a particular east coast bike mag, and I had re-upped the script and it dawned on me that I hadn't gotten any copies; so I called them around interbike time and left a message.
A few weeks later I get this call from a very nice gentleman (evidently publisher of the mag) who was really intent to know if I was "The Marianne Martin" or not. I thought perhaps it had to do with the fact that I'm a female president of a large mountain bike advocacy organization, from what I've gathered it's not necessarily something you see every day. But no - that wasn't it - it was because he won beers on bar bets about the first American winner of a Tour de France and was excited that she was a subscriber to his magazine...

Well dears, as I told him:
I am THE Mary Ann Martin; but I'm not Marianne Martin that you're looking for.

:banana:

As far as age goes, I bet Marianne Martin is hmmm...a tad older than me, but perhaps younger than a lot of people here. ...I believe she was 22 or 24? when she won in 84...so she's not *that* old. Older than myself yes, but younger than a lot of people here. :cool:

And for the record there are so many Mar-y-i-an-n-e Martin's out there of all ages it really is a pain.

Some people, when discussing that particular win put an asterisk next to it because it is felt that none of the really *good* female riders of the day rode that tour that year.