PDA

View Full Version : ok to ride on a messed up bottom bracket a short distance?

moose8
11-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the bottom bracket on my commuter is either loose or broken (the cranks wiggle equally on each side, but the wiggle was precipitated by a grinding bad noise, which makes me think maybe broken). Since it happened near my office, I just brought the bike back and locked it up. I don't have a bottom bracket tool. Now I need to get it to a bike shop, and I am wondering whether riding it there would pose any problems to the frame or cranks or anything. It's a steel frame/surly 1x1. The other option is to drive in over the weekend, which is a pain I would like to avoid if possible, but will do if riding it for a few miles with a funky bottom bracket is a really bad idea.
thanks for any advice

oliver1850
11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
What crank and BB is it?

moose8
11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
What crank and BB is it?
surly mr. whirly crank. I can't remember what the bottom bracket is - it looks like a fairly standard looking external bottom bracket.

oliver1850
11-18-2011, 01:01 PM
There is a chance that the inner race could be broken, although I've not seen it happen. Riding it could possibly mess up the spindle. The good thing about the Mr. Whirly is that the spindle is replaceable. You won't completely ruin the crank as you might with an integral spindle crank like a Rival.

I think its more likely that it's a ball bearing issue, and the race is intact. I myself would probably chance the trip to the shop with it.

moose8
11-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Thank you very much - I think I will chance it to avoid having to drive in.

There is a chance that the inner race could be broken, although I've not seen it happen. Riding it could possibly mess up the spindle. The good thing about the Mr. Whirly is that the spindle is replaceable. You won't completely ruin the crank as you might with an integral spindle crank like a Rival.

I think its more likely that it's a ball bearing issue, and the race is intact. I myself would probably chance the trip to the shop with it.

David Kirk
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a bearing went away - worst case scenario is that the bearing separates and the c-ring hits the stay. If it's not wobbling too bad I bet you'll make it.

Dave

oliver1850
11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
The spindle costs about $60.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I think the bottom bracket on my commuter is either loose or broken (the cranks wiggle equally on each side, but the wiggle was precipitated by a grinding bad noise, which makes me think maybe broken). Since it happened near my office, I just brought the bike back and locked it up. I don't have a bottom bracket tool. Now I need to get it to a bike shop, and I am wondering whether riding it there would pose any problems to the frame or cranks or anything. It's a steel frame/surly 1x1. The other option is to drive in over the weekend, which is a pain I would like to avoid if possible, but will do if riding it for a few miles with a funky bottom bracket is a really bad idea.
thanks for any advice

Arms loose on the spindle? You will kill them for sure if you ride it. Just crapped BB? You aren't going to hurt it any more than you have.

moose8
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
The arms are tight on the spindle - if you move one crank, the other moves as well - it's just got a tiny bit of side-to-side play. I'll update the thread after I get the official diagnosis. The bb has been through daily use during two nasty new england winters, so I wouldn't be surprised if that really shortened the useful lifespan of the bb.

Arms loose on the spindle? You will kill them for sure if you ride it. Just crapped BB? You aren't going to hurt it any more than you have.

cp43
11-18-2011, 04:15 PM
The arms are tight on the spindle - if you move one crank, the other moves as well - it's just got a tiny bit of side-to-side play. I'll update the thread after I get the official diagnosis. The bb has been through daily use during two nasty new england winters, so I wouldn't be surprised if that really shortened the useful lifespan of the bb.

Do you have fenders on the bike? I killed a bottom bracket in my first winter of commuting, which included riding in snow w/o fenders. It's been two more winters since then, with fenders, and the replacement BB is still going strong. My theory is that all the grime that gets splashed up on to the BB is getting into the bearings and ruining everything. With the fenders, especially with a long mud flap, the grime doesn't get on the BB, and the bearings live a long and happy life.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Chris

moose8
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks - I think it's been about 50/50 with fenders and without. Sometimes the ice/snow/salt/dirt mix will cake right onto the bottom bracket, so it probably does have something to do with it.

Do you have fenders on the bike? I killed a bottom bracket in my first winter of commuting, which included riding in snow w/o fenders. It's been two more winters since then, with fenders, and the replacement BB is still going strong. My theory is that all the grime that gets splashed up on to the BB is getting into the bearings and ruining everything. With the fenders, especially with a long mud flap, the grime doesn't get on the BB, and the bearings live a long and happy life.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Chris

hockeybike
11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

My guess is that you'd kill the threads in your bb if you rode this. The rocking side to side would definitely do some damage to the shell if it's the BB that's loose and not the arms. Had a friend ride like this one time--ended up destroying his FD hanger and FD as he ripped the cranks off which threw the chain into the FD. not fun at all.

BumbleBeeDave
11-18-2011, 10:59 PM
. . . "a few miles?"

Wear shoes with tread so you can walk if necessary, ride slow, and if you get nervous, get off and walk.

Better yet, walk the whole way. It's only 10,560 feet. :D

BBD

moose8
11-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I took it into the shop today - they said it was the bearings, and that it happens a fair bit with the external bottom brackets, but it's easy to fix.

lemondsteel
11-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Yep, I rode home once with a loose cup on a Phil Wood BB. Turns out I grazed the rear chainstay with the sproket teeth and about 6 months later I heard a loud pop on a ride and low and behold I had a Columbus SLX chainstay crack!!!! Talk about feeling like a DA for continuing to ride home!