PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost clamp style question

dekindy
11-18-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't know if I will ever purchase an Selle SMP saddle. However I was reading their manual and there are very specific technical requirements for the seat post clamp. Anybody have experience using a Selle SMP saddle with a seat post that does not meet these requirements; like my Bontrager X Lite ACC which appears to be the clamp design the Selle SMP illustrates as a bad example?

http://www.albabici.com/selle/tech-info/fit-smp-saddle.htm
Requirements can be summarized as:
1. Clamp must have minimum 32mm of continuos clamping surface and the top and bottom clamping services must be symetrical,

2. Clamping surface ends should be rounded and not a sharp, 90 degree angle.

I need a new seat post for my backup bike so I thought that I would get one that me this criteria since it seems like a good standard to go by. Most of the seat post pictures that I have viewed are impossible to evaluate these criteria so I was hoping that someone would have suggestions.

I also need setback for my primary bike; but not my backup bike which this seat post purchase would be for. But I would want to install a Selle SMP if I ever get one on my primary bike. So I am torn between purchasing a setback seat post for my backup bike and have my saddle slammed all the way forward on the backup bike but have the versatility to switch seat posts between the bikes if the need arises. I guess that is okay since that is what I am doing now and since I hardly ever ride the backup bike on the road.

I was reviewing seat posts last night and ran across one that had adjustable setback, which I had never seen before and forgot to ride down the brand and model, and wondered if anyone had ever used a seat post like that?

AngryScientist
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
thomson is my default seatpost and it held an SMP just fine (great saddle BTW)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6lug0SSuBPw/TkukKCtRp6I/AAAAAAAAAEM/n20AzJHsGxY/s1600/Nutley-20110816-00140.jpg

dekindy
11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Thompson is one of the few that displays that data; there seat post has 41mm of support and they are proud of it!

oliver1850
11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
USE Alien has a long clamping surface, but I don't have one to measure.