PDA

View Full Version : Breathing exercises

dossetterj
11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
As many of us are in the thick of long winter base miles and laying down the foundations for more intense training in the coming months, or even just enjoying riding a bicycle if you're not planning to race, I started wondering if there are any breathing exercises, short or deep, that people use to get ready for or to relax with after a ride. Of course, I can imagine the benefits of deep yoga-style mediation exercises, but are there any other specific, time-sensitive exercises you've found that help a lot?

martinrjensen
11-18-2011, 07:32 AM
NO, not at all. I'm more likely to practice breathing techniques while riding. When done I'm relaxed naturally and just breath on autopilot.

slowandsteady
11-18-2011, 07:59 AM
... Of course, I can imagine the benefits of deep yoga-style mediation exercises, but are there any other specific, time-sensitive exercises you've found that help a lot?

Yoga style exercises definately help during mediation but you look kinda silly sitting on the floor all alone contorting yourself this way and that...on the other hand Yoga and Yogic Meditation and Breathing Exercises are enormously helpful if you learn to do them on a more regular and consistent basis

ps - welcome to the Forum, a ruthless lot with lots to say :)
Winter is approaching and we are all spending more and more time inside with nothing better to do than snip and snipe at forum posts - lotta fun if you hang around long enough :banana:

dossetterj
11-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Yoga style exercises definately help during mediation but you look kinda silly sitting on the floor all alone contorting yourself this way and that...on the other hand Yoga and Yogic Meditation and Breathing Exercises are enormously helpful if you learn to do them on a more regular and consistent basis

ps - welcome to the Forum, a ruthless lot with lots to say :)
Winter is approaching and we are all spending more and more time inside with nothing better to do than snip and snipe at forum posts - lotta fun if you hang around long enough :banana:

Haha. I've been a lurker for a little while, happy to join the lot though.

I guess my question stemmed from a biology of exercise class I took in Spring. We spent a little while one class talking about how you can increase the amount of oxygen to your lungs through belly breathing (seems obvious but while cycling for example, it can be a bit hard to remember). I don't know how effective it necessarily is, as in, you're already supposedly breathing at a steady rate (at least in winter training), but I thought that maybe people might have a quick exercise or two they do pre or post ride, similar to stretching or massaging your legs with one of those roller things as a sort of recovery tool...?

fiamme red
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
http://breathplay.com/index.php

spacemen3
11-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Freedivers know a thing or two about breathing. :)

http://www.deeperblue.com/2010/11/18/breatheology-the-art-of-conscious-breathing/

martinrjensen
11-18-2011, 07:18 PM
NO, not at all. I'm more likely to practice breathing techniques while riding. When done I'm relaxed naturally and just breath on autopilot.