PDA

View Full Version : Shimano chain question...

victoryfactory
07-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Does anyone know of a "master Link" style device that will
work with Shimano 10 speed chains?

I've never liked the Shimano pins, and now with the 10 speed,
I'm even more nervous about improper installation leading to failures.

Thanks

VF

bpm
07-29-2005, 07:57 AM
You can use the Wipperman Connex link. I've used for about 4,000 miles with DA 10 speed and have had no problems.

Jeremy
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
IRD makes a nice 10sp link. They have one for Campy and Shimano chains.

victoryfactory
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
BPM;

After some research, it seems that the Campy 10 chains
are 6.2 mm and the Shimano 10 chains are 6.02 mm

On their website, connex say they have a new connector for shimano 10
called the "10S0" which is 6.02mm but I can't find a retailer who has it.

Have you been using the Campy 10 one on your Shimano chain?

VF

bpm
07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
To be honest, I didn't know there was a difference. I bought it from Excel Sports. In looking at their website, it says it's intended only for Wipperman's 10 speed (6.6mm) chains. But like I said, i've been using it for a while with no problems.

Brian Smith
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
claims to fit Shimano 10-spd, no personal experience:

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CH1423

This is available from a very popular components wholesaler, most any shop could get it for you if they know what they're looking for.
You could also get it for yourself at that above link.

victoryfactory
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the help Jeremy, BPM , Brian

BTW, I read this in the RBR newsletter this week:

Shimano Chain Mistake

Here's an important warning we picked up from http://www.velonews.com in a report written by technical editor Lennard Zinn. It concerns Shimano chains and a common technique for loosening a stiff link after installation. According to Shimano's Wayne Stetina, "Never, never, never (flex the link sideways to free it) especially 10-speed, but also for 9-speed chains. We need to get people away from this lazy bad habit when installing Shimano chains. If a Shimano chain does not move freely, the pin is not correctly seated in the back plate. If it is correctly seated, it will automatically be correctly centered. Loosening it (by flexing sideways) may cause the connector pin to pull out of the plate. It will definitely cause a 10-speed chain to fail."

VF