PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle Fire

93legendti
11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Anyone ordering the new Kindle Fire?

gomango
11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
One on pre-order.

I am a teacher, and iPads are spendy in our circles.

I want to see what it does and doesn't do for a couple hundred.

Fixed
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
that or the rumored i pad mini
my xmas gift to me
cheers

bart998
11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
On my Christmas list...

tannhauser
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Not. Amazon uses a Droid browser that intercepts browsing history.

That is, so Google doesn't get it.

Not that I want Google to spoon feed me either.

rbtmcardle
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Have a kindle and a laptop and a smartphone.. all of which I can read my kindle books on.. only wish the kindle was backlit.. cant justify another gadget nor can I justify an Ipad..

after all the electronic gadgets.. my daytimer datebook and a good old fashioned book still feel best..

93legendti
11-16-2011, 07:57 PM
I ordered one to see what it's about...the price is very attractive

itsflantastic
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
that or the rumored i pad mini
my xmas gift to me
cheers

isn't an ipad mini an ipod touch?

tannhauser
11-16-2011, 08:17 PM
isn't an ipad mini an ipod touch?

Women's hygiene product.

itsflantastic
11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Women's hygiene product.

ha! i've never heard this joke. :rolleyes:

JMerring
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
walt mossberg didn't give the kindle fire a very good review at all, though he is a bit of an apple fanboy (hard not to be when you use apple products, however, and i sure did try my hardest to not like them). his review can be summed up thusly: half the tablet for half the price. ymmv, of course.

crownjewelwl
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I have an ipad too. The kindle is what the blackberry playbook should've been. But Rimm used its own OS instead of android. It is half the size of the ipad so it is easier to hold and use. I think it'll be the only tablet that can compete with apple.

Also if you're a prime subscriber you can stream a bunch of content for free.

It is a great form factor for browsing. I am typing this on my kindle now!

And it is only $200 so I won't feel as bad when my kids eventually break it!

93legendti
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I have an ipad too. The kindle is what the blackberry playbook should've been. But Rimm used its own OS instead of android. It is half the size of the ipad so it is easier to hold and use. I think it'll be the only tablet that can compete with apple.

Also if you're a prime subscriber you can stream a bunch of content for free.

It is a great form factor for browsing. I am typing this on my kindle now!

And it is only $200 so I won't feel as bad when my kids eventually break it!
Cool...good to hear. There is a 2 yr warranty you can buy.

tannhauser
11-16-2011, 10:15 PM
ha! i've never heard this joke. :rolleyes:

Okay, neither had I. Glad you had such a grand time with it :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
:banana: :crap: :) :confused:
These stupid icons are fun. :bike:

Dekonick
11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice specs on the new Nook Color... if you MUST have AMAZON, then go fire... but the new NOOK is a better machine... and with almost no effort easy to root. (well - it will be. Give it a week...)

I have a rooted Nook Color and love it. I also have a HP touchpad that dual boots into webOS and Android. The Android is an alpha prototype, but still cool. The more I use the webOS, it has become my favorite OS. Such a shame HP killed it off...

Interesting thing is there are rumors that HP may release a small touchpad in the near future... with webOS or windows 8.

I must admit I like the abundance of programs for iOS, but just do not like the interface. So where does that leave the kindle Fire? IF you will never root (and it is SIMPLE anymore... youtube can walk even the most inept person through the process) then Fire is great. For $50 more, the Nook has better hardware and potential... especially if you root. As I was told earlier, the 'real' 'power-users' :rolleyes: will only be found with Apple products... but if you can muster the time to read this forum, you can root your Nook. Give it a try... (and I still believe that most 'power-users' have android devices... unless they are forced to use iOS for particular software needs... and even then more often than not it is with a jailbroken iOS device...)

Off to bed... been awake for 38 hours... :crap:

tannhauser
11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Which of these tabs offer the most natural typing?

93legendti
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Nice specs on the new Nook Color... if you MUST have AMAZON, then go fire... but the new NOOK is a better machine... and with almost no effort easy to root. (well - it will be. Give it a week...)

I have a rooted Nook Color and love it. I also have a HP touchpad that dual boots into webOS and Android. The Android is an alpha prototype, but still cool. The more I use the webOS, it has become my favorite OS. Such a shame HP killed it off...

Interesting thing is there are rumors that HP may release a small touchpad in the near future... with webOS or windows 8.

I must admit I like the abundance of programs for iOS, but just do not like the interface. So where does that leave the kindle Fire? IF you will never root (and it is SIMPLE anymore... youtube can walk even the most inept person through the process) then Fire is great. For $50 more, the Nook has better hardware and potential... especially if you root. As I was told earlier, the 'real' 'power-users' :rolleyes: will only be found with Apple products... but if you can muster the time to read this forum, you can root your Nook. Give it a try... (and I still believe that most 'power-users' have android devices... unless they are forced to use iOS for particular software needs... and even then more often than not it is with a jailbroken iOS device...)

Off to bed... been awake for 38 hours... :crap:
I have no experience with rooting, but it looks like you can root the Kindle Fire

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-root-an-amazon-kindle-fire.html

Dekonick
11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I have no experience with rooting, but it looks like you can root the Kindle Fire

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-root-an-amazon-kindle-fire.html

Can't sleep... HELP!

Anyway - YES you can... but the hardware on the Nook is better... (essentially the same except the Nook has 16gb and can be expanded... not so for the fire...)

So - it depends on what you want. I am not a fan of being tied to one universe... ie Apple or Amazon... so (a la rush...) I choose free will... or in other words, go for the best hardware for the $$ and go open source...

Fire is a loss for Amazon... they are betting you will make it up buying intheir universe (and I am a HUGE fan of Amazon.com... but still shop the entire net...)

For me, digital books are WAY too expensive.... Where is the cost? They take no room (so it can't be storage or bandwith) and - last time I checked - people don't write with pen and paper (so the manuscripts are in digital format)

How can someone justify over $10 for a digital book? I don't get it. Lower the $$ and sell more copies... Like music, I am willing to pay a few bucks for an album... but not willing to pay a buck or more for inferior recording quality for a single song. Gomusicnow.com anyone? (love the $1-2 per album prices... and 10 cent songs... :beer: )

I need a gobooknow.com website...

tele
11-17-2011, 05:50 AM
I am looking at either the Fire or the Nook tablet for the wife--she is not a power user at all. I saw Mossberg's review and am waiting for some other reviews of the Nook to come out. Really waiting for a potential price drop for the iPad though! :rolleyes:

Anyone get ebooks from the library?

93legendti
11-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Can't sleep... HELP!

Anyway - YES you can... but the hardware on the Nook is better... (essentially the same except the Nook has 16gb and can be expanded... not so for the fire...)

So - it depends on what you want. I am not a fan of being tied to one universe... ie Apple or Amazon... so (a la rush...) I choose free will... or in other words, go for the best hardware for the $$ and go open source...

Fire is a loss for Amazon... they are betting you will make it up buying intheir universe (and I am a HUGE fan of Amazon.com... but still shop the entire net...)

For me, digital books are WAY too expensive.... Where is the cost? They take no room (so it can't be storage or bandwith) and - last time I checked - people don't write with pen and paper (so the manuscripts are in digital format)

How can someone justify over $10 for a digital book? I don't get it. Lower the $$ and sell more copies... Like music, I am willing to pay a few bucks for an album... but not willing to pay a buck or more for inferior recording quality for a single song. Gomusicnow.com anyone? (love the $1-2 per album prices... and 10 cent songs... :beer: )

I need a gobooknow.com website...
I like Amazon's stuff and I have never bought an ebook-I like turning pages...we will see, maybe the Fire will work for me, maybe not

slowandsteady
11-17-2011, 06:20 AM
I have a 6 month old, Mint, Nook Color with Leather case and ($29) and Screen Protector ($24) I'd like to sell for $200. I can even Root it for you.

PM me if interested. The thing ROCKS. Just have too many gadgets (like bikes) and looking to reduce the clutter

crownjewelwl
11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Which of these tabs offer the most natural typing?

typing sux on ALL tablets!!

jerome
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Two different product

iPad is a computer like reader

Kindle a 100% made for reading device.

I like J. Bezos but I love S. Jobs too much.

The iPad is the reference. Rule the market for years.

What is the difference between a Serotta or a Moots and a hummmmm... a Salsa.

best

93legendti
11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
The new Kindle Fire is not for reading only...

rbtmcardle
11-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Agreed!! I tried and tried.. but couldnt justify 800 bucks for a fancy video / browsing / reader gadget.. a just redesigned 13.3 Macbook Pro at $1100 was a no brainer.. for $300 more I got a real computer that I can type on and stick a flash drive into.. and etc. etc.. sure it'd be fun to have, but without a specific job related use.. those Ipads/tablets are just a really cool toy.

crownjewelwl
11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Agreed!! I tried and tried.. but couldnt justify 800 bucks for a fancy video / browsing / reader gadget.. a just redesigned 13.3 Macbook Pro at $1100 was a no brainer.. for $300 more I got a real computer that I can type on and stick a flash drive into.. and etc. etc.. sure it'd be fun to have, but without a specific job related use.. those Ipads/tablets are just a really cool toy.

But browsing on a kindle fire is pretty awesome...not bad for the cost of a couple of carbon bottle cages

crownjewelwl
11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
The new Kindle Fire is not for reading only...

I'm on day 2 now...it is a pretty slick device

Was just streaming old episodes of top gear while eating dinner

It is NOT just for reading books, but magazines look pretty sweet

93legendti
11-17-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm on day 2 now...it is a pretty slick device

Was just streaming old episodes of top gear while eating dinner

It is NOT just for reading books, but magazines look pretty sweet
Great to hear-Amazon just sent me a "shipped" notice for the Fire's we bought...can't wait. :)

Ray
11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a Kindle and I have an iPad. The Kindle is GREAT for reading books and long, text-intensive magazine articles, and pretty useless for anything else. The ipad is OK for reading for relatively short periods of time indoors and is GREAT for browsing and any number of other activities. The Kindle fire is trying to be both things and, for my money, doesn't do either as well as the other devices. I just don't like reading for long on a backlit computer screen, even the really good ones - e-ink rules for that. And the Kindle Fire is too much of an Amazon-centric tablet for my taste. If I was gonna just have one of these things, I guess it would be the ipad, but I'm glad to have 'em both. If I didn't like to read as much I'd be fine without the Kindle. But at under $100 now, the Kindle is a no brainer. And then it just comes down to which tablet you prefer. I'm an Apple guy and I'm gonna prefer the Apple version 95% of the time. But I guess for the price, the Kindle Fire isn't a bad alternative if you want a Droid based tablet...

-Ray

wc1934
11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I am looking at either the Fire or the Nook tablet for the wife--she is not a power user at all. I saw Mossberg's review and am waiting for some other reviews of the Nook to come out. Really waiting for a potential price drop for the iPad though! :rolleyes:

Anyone get ebooks from the library?

From today's Boston Globe:
http://bostonglobe.com/business/2011/11/17/retail-link-key-for-nook-kindle-fire/9Aa4PtG9ACyFxbOS5czLzN/story.html

tele
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
found this tonight on how to get around some "restrictions" on the Fire:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396276,00.asp

Dekonick
11-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Not the HP touchpad... bluetooth keyboard... and inductive charging makes it more laptop like.

Otherwise I agree... but you can use google voice...

Dekonick
11-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Nook or Kindle for reading - cant be beat. eink is awesome. Now, take it one step farther... Nook Color (It is what I have and know...) lets you read books, highlight with your finger, get instant definitions onwords by holding your finger onthe word in question... etc... More books are including interactive components (fantastic for textbooks... think about it!)

I used to like paper, but now much prefer my nook. Hopefully ebook prices will come down to reasonable levels... just like some of the magazines. I pay $1 a month for MAXIM (I know - it is junk...) $1 for bicycling, 1 for maximumpc, 1 for popular science....
I would get more but need rags I like. I am sure they are coming....

Competition is good!

:banana:

93legendti
11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/16/google-music-announced/

The free service is open to everyone in the U.S. at music.google.com. It lets you upload up to 20,000 songs, share songs and playlists with friends, and easily discover new tunes you might like. If you've got one of those 200 million Android phones, you'll be able listen to your songs on the go, wherever you are, without first copying the song files onto your phone, thanks to the cloud storage.

And Google Music now integrates smoothly with Android Market, the company announced (you can get to it on market.android.com), adding to the existing movie rentals and books the ability to buy music.

The most exciting feature of the new service is the ability to share music through Google’s new social network Google+. The free sharing function allows users limited free listens to songs posted by friends.

"That's something no one else has ever done before," Rosenberg said.

tannhauser
11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Nook or Kindle for reading - cant be beat. eink is awesome. Now, take it one step farther... Nook Color (It is what I have and know...) lets you read books, highlight with your finger, get instant definitions onwords by holding your finger onthe word in question... etc... More books are including interactive components (fantastic for textbooks... think about it!)

I used to like paper, but now much prefer my nook. Hopefully ebook prices will come down to reasonable levels... just like some of the magazines. I pay $1 a month for MAXIM (I know - it is junk...) $1 for bicycling, 1 for maximumpc, 1 for popular science....
I would get more but need rags I like. I am sure they are coming....

Competition is good!

:banana:

How do you like the clarity on the Nook Color? Some said the Kindle Fire is a step back from the original this way. Also do you check out stuff from the library.

93legendti
11-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Our Kindle Fires just came. I'm posting via a Fire. Seems like a
nice tool.

crownjewelwl
11-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Our Kindle Fires just came. I'm posting via a Fire. Seems like a
nice tool.

what's your point? :banana:

Dekonick
11-21-2011, 05:25 PM
How do you like the clarity on the Nook Color? Some said the Kindle Fire is a step back from the original this way. Also do you check out stuff from the library.

What is not to like? Ips screen...

I have not seen a fire... yet... but from what I have read online the guts of the new NOOK are equal to the fire in most area's, and better in some (memory...).

Don't forget you can add 32 GB to the NOOK color with a micro SD card...

B&N has lowered the NOOK color to $200, like the fire... and the new NOOK color is $250.

I guess it depends on how tied you are to Amazon or B&N. If you are already vested in one or the other I would stick with them. You really can't go wrong either way. (It looks like you don't need to hack the Nook anymore... it comes as an Android tablet). On the Nook you can always get the Kindle app and use both...

93legendti
11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
My kids are impressed with the free apps and I'm pretty sure I have downloaded the equivalent of my iphone apps without spending a penny.

I think I read that if you have an android phone, you can load the apps on to the Fire.

The email program was easier to set up than my iphone's.

The screen is bright and everything looks real crisp - very easy to read on this.

I'm impressed.

DreaminJohn
11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
My kids are impressed with the free apps and I'm pretty sure I have downloaded the equivalent of my iphone apps without spending a penny.

I'm impressed.

Have you had the opportunity to listen to any YouTube stuff? I'm considering one for my special-needs son but he needs to clearly hear his roller coaster, Thomas the Tank engine, and Beethoven videos and external speakers aren't always practical.

The network at my local BN was so bogged down I couldn't load anything.

Thanks.

Volant
11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm waiting for something decent and inexpensive with HDMI/mini (or equivalent) out. There are some tablets out there that meet that requirement, but nothing of the iPad caliber. I hear the 2nd gen Fire will have this capability. That will get my interest.

crownjewelwl
11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Have you had the opportunity to listen to any YouTube stuff? I'm considering one for my special-needs son but he needs to clearly hear his roller coaster, Thomas the Tank engine, and Beethoven videos and external speakers aren't always practical.

Thanks.

streaming video (youtube and otherwise) is pretty slick

93legendti
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks.
No, I haven't yet. I will try and check it out and report back to you. I can tell you that music sounds great on the Fire (much better than on my ipone) and my kids are enjoying free movies I downloaded for them...
The local Target had both the Fire and the Nook Tablet

Edit-I just watched a YouTube video-Led Zep, "The Ocean" from The Song Remains the Same. At full volume it is very clear, but too loud....I hope that helps.

Wimpy
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Ordered my self a fire for Christmas!

Not a tech geek so I think I'm going to be very happy.

Anyone have any experience with the $79 amazon club thing?

Sounds like it might be a decent bargain.

crownjewelwl
12-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Ordered my self a fire for Christmas!

Not a tech geek so I think I'm going to be very happy.

Anyone have any experience with the $79 amazon club thing?

Sounds like it might be a decent bargain.

Prime is great...with kindle fire u can stream a bunch of stuff for "free" and the 2 day shipping is great

But it only makes sense if u use amazon a lot...we tend to buy as much as we can from amazon so we get our money's worth

If you're a heavy User sign up for the amazon visa which gives you 3% back

Wimpy
12-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Prime is great...with kindle fire u can stream a bunch of stuff for "free" and the 2 day shipping is great

But it only makes sense if u use amazon a lot...we tend to buy as much as we can from amazon so we get our money's worth

If you're a heavy User sign up for the amazon visa which gives you 3% back

I'll admit that I really don't understand the structure of Amazon. Maybe it's that lack of understanding that makes me a little skeptical about using them.

However, I inevitably end up with them as a low price (google shopping search) on a few things every year and every single time have been completely satisfied with the transaction.

I could see the Kindle increasing my use of them quite a bit.

What kind of stuff do you buy through amazon?

Trirunt
12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a kindle and buy tons of stuff from Amazon (nearly anything, I hate to shop in bricks and mortar). But I hated magazines on the kindle and the interface was awkward.

I just got an ipad b/c I knew I'd get an intuitive interface, and I'm right. So far I absolutely love it. It will have a ton of applications in my life.

For books with just text, I may still use the kindle b/c it is kind to my eyes, we'll see. I haven't read a book on the ipad yet.

I think Ray is right. One is a mountain bike, the other is a road bike - they shine in different places. The Kindle Fire may be a hybrid, but since I haven't had my hands on one, I can't say for sure. Just my impression.

tannhauser
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
AMZN has just announced their comparo-shop feature, betting on lowest-common-denominator-Amazon Prime! wins filtering browser supremacy.

Jobs is still dead. Long live Bezos balderdash.

Wait, who is he fighting now?

crownjewelwl
12-11-2011, 05:03 AM
I'll admit that I really don't understand the structure of Amazon. Maybe it's that lack of understanding that makes me a little skeptical about using them.

However, I inevitably end up with them as a low price (google shopping search) on a few things every year and every single time have been completely satisfied with the transaction.

I could see the Kindle increasing my use of them quite a bit.an

What kind of stuff do you buy through amazon?

Amazon has almost everything and usually at the best prices. Add to that the convenience of 2 day shipping and it's a homerun. You name it...laundry detergent, underwear, bike parts. Just bought extra pedals! Plus 3% off with amazon visa. I also own the stock!

wallymann
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
...get a more open android 7" tablet instead.

i got a Lenovo A1, same $200 price and 7" form factor but it's OPEN and not the striped/dumbed flavor of android OS that amazon foisted on Fire.

i got an A1 a couple weeks ago, already rooted it and never ever use my ipad now.

http://mobilityupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lenovoideapadtabletreview.jpg

Wimpy
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
...get a more open android 7" tablet instead.

i got a Lenovo A1, same $200 price and 7" form factor but it's OPEN and not the striped/dumbed flavor of android OS that amazon foisted on Fire.

i got an A1 a couple weeks ago, already rooted it and never ever use my ipad now.

http://mobilityupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lenovoideapadtabletreview.jpg

I was a button push away from getting that. I searched for some reviews and came across a forum of gadget geeks kinda like we are bike geeks.

Overall the reviews were decent but there were just enough troubles from within that small sampling I choose to go with the Kindle.

I don't know that I ever would (cause I don't really know what it means) but I'm under the impression that the Kindle can be rooted to accept all android apps.

Either way, I think I'll be happy.

However, I don't believe for a second that the Kindle or the Lenovo A1 holds a candle to the iPad. I'm just too cheap to spend that kind of dough on my first tablet. I'm not really sure I will get much out of it.

If I end up loving the application, an ipad will be next years gift.

wallymann
12-11-2011, 02:45 PM
However, I don't believe for a second that the Kindle or the Lenovo A1 holds a candle to the iPad.

it's a diverse market out there with lots of open wallets ready to spend; the fire and A1 and other 7-inchers are different to an ipad. even androids in general are different to ipads.

i have both: ipads are appliances, androids are devices.

the next to-die-for tablet is the asus transformer prime...a penta-core CPU (YES 5 CORES), ridiculous build quality (comparable to an ipad2) and neat-o clip-on keyboard that makes anything before look like a joke.

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ASUS-Transformer-Prime.jpg?139d23

rnhood
12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I am struggling to see where this Ausus have an advantage over something like the MacBook Air - in general.

I have the 7" Blackberry Playbook because I got it for $100 from RIM (employee deal). I like how it bridges to the Blackberry phone (which I also have) via bluetooth or WiFi, and how it tethers to computers where network access is not available. But for work type activities, I still like something like the MacBook Air. Light as a feather, bigger display, long battery life and its a full computer.

The computer age is getting like bikes, there is something more specific for very application. We just have to have several.

Dekonick
12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
it's a diverse market out there with lots of open wallets ready to spend; the fire and A1 and other 7-inchers are different to an ipad. even androids in general are different to ipads.

i have both: ipads are appliances, androids are devices.

the next to-die-for tablet is the asus transformer prime...a penta-core CPU (YES 5 CORES), ridiculous build quality (comparable to an ipad2) and neat-o clip-on keyboard that makes anything before look like a joke.

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ASUS-Transformer-Prime.jpg?139d23

Yeah, this looks like a killer machine. On another note, HP just did another fire sale of their remaining touchpads 99 and 149 bucks for 16gb and 32gb models. Their new CEO also said that webos is here to stay... and they plan on making it open source, as well as producing future tablets. I love mine... and more apps are available every day (no where near the number as Apple or Android, but - just root and use android and webOS.)

JMerring
12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
not exactly the most glowing review: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/technology/personaltech/amazons-fire-some-say-may-become-the-edsel-of-tablets.html. i find myself less enamored of amazon of late and the kindle fire is one of the reasons. it strikes me as, first and foremost, a money grab (a huge, unabashed money grab), and way down on the list as a piece of technology. sorta like apple in reverse. ymmv, of course.

SupremeOverload
12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
not exactly the most glowing review: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/technology/personaltech/amazons-fire-some-say-may-become-the-edsel-of-tablets.html. i find myself less enamored of amazon of late and the kindle fire is one of the reasons. it strikes me as, first and foremost, a money grab (a huge, unabashed money grab), and way down on the list as a piece of technology. sorta like apple in reverse. ymmv, of course.

It amazes me when people thing there is some other reason to be in business than to make money.

Amazon never claimed to exist solely to solve world hunger.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 07:52 AM
It amazes me when people thing there is some other reason to be in business than to make money.

Amazon never claimed to exist solely to solve world hunger.

you are correct. private, for-profit enterprises exist solely to make money, directly or indirectly. my sentiment was inartfully expressed and i was driving more at core competencies, i guess. i'll try a canine metaphor instead - amazon of late is like a slobbering bulldog that'll take any scrap of food you throw its way; i prefer poodles.

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
you are correct. private, for-profit enterprises exist solely to make money, directly or indirectly. my sentiment was inartfully expressed and i was driving more at core competencies, i guess. i'll try a canine metaphor instead - amazon of late is like a slobbering bulldog that'll take any scrap of food you throw its way; i prefer poodles.

Some of those scraps are taken from the mongrel dogs that are local businesses.

If a person wants to focus on the virtual world at the expense of a local wasteland, that's his business.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Some of those scraps are taken from the mongrel dogs that are local businesses.

If a person wants to focus on the virtual world at the expense of a local wasteland, that's his business.

and?

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
and?

And that's it.

Think about it.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
And that's it.

Think about it.

nah

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
nah

too late!

JMerring
12-13-2011, 12:43 PM
too late!

not really

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
not really

okay, enjoy your blinders.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
okay, enjoy your blinders.

thanks, i will. you too!

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 01:01 PM
thanks, i will. you too!

my eyes are wide open.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
my eyes are wide open.

perhaps an appointment with the optometrist is in order, then.

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
perhaps an appointment with the optometrist is in order, then.

or an audiologist for you.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
or an audiologist for you.

my hearing's just fine for the interwebs, but thanks for the suggestion.

SupremeOverload
12-13-2011, 01:38 PM

I see now. You like poodles!

JMerring
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I see now. You like poodles!

yes, they're great dogs and go well with hairless legs (rugby - that one's for your benefit :) ).

csm
12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I just ordered one for my wife.
although reading the last page of posts.....

bike22
12-26-2011, 02:05 AM
i think i'm going to buy one

SupremeOverload
12-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Got one from the In-laws for Christmas. It's only been a day but so far I'm very happy with it. Tons of free apps from amazon. Very easy to connect to my PC and download Pics and Music.

Still have not fully figured out the "Cloud" thing but working on it.

I may de-root it after a while but see no need yet. There are some preloaded apps you can't delete but it really is no biggie.

I'm sure it's a matter of not knowing any better but for the price, I'm thrilled.

csm
12-26-2011, 11:07 AM
so far it seems ok. she was pretty happy with it.

froze
12-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I got my wife the Fire for Christmas...though she cheated and she's been using for about a month! Anyway, she really likes it. She, or I, are not very computer literate, and the Fire does everything she uses my computer for, she can read and send e-mail, go anywhere online, play games, watch movies, read books, and with the case I bought her for it she can slip into her purse and take it anywhere. She no longer has to use my computer for anything...yea!!!!

These little e-readers are coming along so well that by the time my computer I currently use breaks I'll get a tablet computer so I can have a bit larger screen then an e-reader and have a bit more power too. But I definitely have seen the end of me ever owning a computer with their big computer cases, separate screens, keyboard and mouse, or me having a heavy bulky laptop I use for work. I ll just buy one tablet and use that for everything.

Technology at least in that area is definitely changing for the better. The only debate I 'll have is to either go with the Ipad or the Intel offerings, but I want at least a 10" screen. At this time I'm leaning towards the Ipad but it's way to early to make that decision. By the time I get ready to get one there will probably be some substantial improvements on the tablets.

gomango
12-26-2011, 01:42 PM
We bought our youngest son a Fire for Christmas.

Loves it.

Within fifteen minutes he had email, Facebook, and music accounts.

Forty minutes after that he had me talked into Prime.

I like the Fire's screen clarity for video, but I really prefer the screen size on our iPads my wife and I own.

All in all though, he's happy.

Now I have to find a decent case.

Let's give that Prime account a try.

troymac
12-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I got one for Christmas. I like it works better than I expected. My wife has an ipad that shes had for a year or so. For the price it cant be beyhatat. Mareware makes a nice case. This is the one that is on mine now. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lightweight-MicroShell-Folio-Marware/dp/B005V2EVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324932653&sr=8-1
Its a nice case.

93legendti
12-26-2011, 03:08 PM
I got one for Christmas. I like it works better than I expected. My wife has an ipad that shes had for a year or so. For the price it cant be beyhatat. Mareware makes a nice case. This is the one that is on mine now. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lightweight-MicroShell-Folio-Marware/dp/B005V2EVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324932653&sr=8-1
Its a nice case.
My son's Fire has that case.
My kids have one each and I ended up returning mine and kept my new to me refurbished iPad that was only $399 for 3G and 32gb. So my kids have Fires and my wife and I have iPads. After a few weeks with the Fire, I asked my kids if they wanted iPads instead of their Fires and they said no way. (They've spent enpugh tme on ipads and itouches to know what its all about.) I may even get a Fire for a backup tablet for traveling. The fact it fits in a jacket pocket, even while in a case, is unreal.

jerome
12-26-2011, 03:11 PM
The iPad

none of the other knock-off can be compare to it.

It is like a Serotta in front of a Salsa at best.

S. Jobs was the best man we had for long he left us with some wonderful electronic device to enhance your life

when you get an iPad you get the whole Apple world with it : iTunes first packed with iTunes U, the store, Apps...

do not compare Apple Apps with others not the same breed.

iPad !

zoomer
02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
any longer term user reports?

gomango
02-12-2012, 06:18 PM
any longer term user reports?

I would be happy to give you one if I could get it out of my twelve year old's hands.

He loves it. :)

that guy
02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
My Kindle Fire sees very little use.

That's my review.

Alan
02-13-2012, 06:15 AM
My wife loves hers and uses it a lot though she is not a terribly sophisticated user. I am waiting for the new ipad. For $200 it is a good deal I think but not business grade vs the ipad.

Alan