PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Moving to Alaska...

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
this is only kind of OT because it will be affecting my road riding...

I just heard today that I'll be getting transferred up to Kodiak Island to take over the clinic supervisor job at the Coast Guard clinic! :banana:

The job is phenomenal and the location is actually really cool... I was stationed there at the clinic about 10 years ago... you can actually get a good 50 to 60 mile ride in on the island, but the problem is you have to repeat that ride, or a portion of it, any time you want to ride on the road...

so that means I'll be doing a lot more mountain biking! :beer:
also, I'm thinking really hard about a Surly Pugsley for the winter... I think I'll be making really good use of my Salsa Vaya while I'm up there as well...

in an Alaska state of mind,
Chris

Louis
11-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Someone in San Diego cheering that he's moving to Alaska. There's got to be something wrong with that.

Enjoy it.

gdw
11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Congratulations on a sweet assignment. Ride fast and don't feed the bears.

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Someone in San Diego cheering that he's moving to Alaska. There's got to be something wrong with that.

Enjoy it.

just a simple fact that I knew I was leaving San Diego this summer regardless... I had advanced myself out of any jobs here... might as well embrace the change! :cool:

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Ride fast and don't feed the bears.

that will be my interval training... :D

William
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Might want one of these for those back woods rides...

http://www.defensedevices.com/bike-mount-bicyle-pepper-spray.html

William

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Might want one of these for those back woods rides...

http://www.defensedevices.com/bike-mount-bicyle-pepper-spray.html

too true... I already have a bear bell for riding here in SoCal, not for the bears but the hikers/walkers...

gdw
11-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Steve K
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
A pug to help get you through the snow... Modification done by Chris Huber

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:46 PM

according to that sign, I guess you gotta know your shti... :D

rice rocket
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Moonlander!

http://undergroundvelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/surly-moonlander-singletrack-world.jpg

fourflys
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Moonlander!

maybe, but the Pug I'm looking at is the Black Ops version that has the bigger rims/tires like the Moonlander (I think)... it's a little cheaper...

Vientomas
11-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I am a member over on Mountain Bike Review. There is a member who goes by the handle of: "tscheezy". He lives on Kodiak and rides both mountain and road bikes. He was quite a prolific poster a couple of years ago. I've never met him but his internet personal seemed affable. He might be a good resource for you. Here is his public profile from MTBR:

About tscheezy
From
(City, State or Country)
Kodiak, Alaska USA
Year started riding
Favorite type of riding
(can choose more than
Cross Country
Favorite Trail
The ones with dirt on them
Number of bikes owned
6-Pack, 5-Spot, RFX, Sultan, Manitou HT, Merlin (road), Azonic DS1 SS, Kona Cowan SS, 'bent
Bike Setup
Turner 6-Pack, 5-Spot, Sultan, RFX, XCE... TOTAL TURNER WHORE!!
Day job
I count fish for a living

fourflys
11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I am a member over on Mountain Bike Review. There is a member who goes by the handle of: "tscheezy". <snip>

yea, I've emailed him a couple of times when I first heard I might be going to Kodiak... he makes some of the most awesome ride videos...

thanks!

wooly
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Chris! it sounds like you're excited about the move so congratulations. That is a big move from San Diego my man.

Pete Serotta
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I ride with a group that does a week trip in Paso Robles every April. There are about 20 folks +or minus. For the last three years a couple from Alaska has come. If you want to make it this April, send me an email and I will connect you with the person who is the lead for the event and lives in LA.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska, it is an area that I have never been

Pete

Fixed
11-16-2011, 06:23 PM
congratulations on the promotion
sounds like a great adventure
cheers looking forward to the great photos

fourflys
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Chris! it sounds like you're excited about the move so congratulations. That is a big move from San Diego my man.

totally big move, but at least I was there before as a junior Corpsman... I do know what to expect... just trying not to look at the weather up there right now... ;)

fourflys
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
looking forward to the great photos

for sure!

fourflys
11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
I ride with a group that does a week trip in Paso Robles every April. There are about 20 folks +or minus. For the last three years a couple from Alaska has come. If you want to make it this April, send me an email and I will connect you with the person who is the lead for the event and lives in LA.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska, it is an area that I have never been

Pete

thanks Pete, we'll see what shakes out...

Peter B
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=fourflys

<snip>

Chris[/QUOTE]

I have very fond memories of a long road trip to and through Alaska back in the mid-90's. Have fun up there and best of luck with your new assignment Chris!

Here are some ride ideas to ponder.

http://www.alaskarandonneurs.org/BigWildRide1200k

http://fireweed400.com/

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/alaska_ultra_home_page.html

choke
11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats Doc. :beer: I would love to live in Alaska.

john903
11-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello it is great to hear about your move to Kodiak I was stationed there as well. Being that you have been there you know what to expect, but is a reminder of trails to check out. Russian ridge behind Aluetion homes area. The bike shop there is 58 North. I would suggest a 29er hard tail for the trails, and a cross bike for the dirt road ride out to roads end. If you surf remember the west side there is surfing (drysuit of course) at pasagshak.
The one negative that wore on me was the WIND and sideways rain. All in all it was a fun tour. So will you be deployed on helo's with the visiting 378's? Yes everyone we definatly announce our presece in bear country, sing, talk whatever and yes they really are huge bears.
Have fun
John aka MKC Stevens,ret. yahoo

fourflys
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Hello it is great to hear about your move to Kodiak I was stationed there as well. Being that you have been there you know what to expect, but is a reminder of trails to check out. Russian ridge behind Aluetion homes area. The bike shop there is 58 North. I would suggest a 29er hard tail for the trails, and a cross bike for the dirt road ride out to roads end. If you surf remember the west side there is surfing (drysuit of course) at pasagshak.
The one negative that wore on me was the WIND and sideways rain. All in all it was a fun tour. So will you be deployed on helo's with the visiting 378's? Yes everyone we definatly announce our presece in bear country, sing, talk whatever and yes they really are huge bears.
Have fun
John aka MKC Stevens,ret. yahoo

thanks John! I just got a call today explaining that I would still be in Kodiak but will be doing a bit different job... I'll be travelling around to all the independent duty HS as the the senior HS... should be fun, I'll get to see parts of AK I didn't get to before! I'm an HSCS btw...

I figure I'll get a lot of use out of my Santa Cruz Superlight (short travel XC) and my Salsa Vaya...

Chris

xjoex
11-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Wow man, that is going to be one hell of an adventure.

-Joe

johnnymossville
11-18-2011, 07:12 AM
This sounds like an amazing opportunity! Take me with you?

I'm sure there's a bicycle that would be nearly perfect for riding there. Enjoy your time in Alaska!

Tom
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Fireweed 400. Hm. Possibly the most popular ultra event in the US outside of California. The road riding must be terrible there.

fourflys
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Fireweed 400. Hm. Possibly the most popular ultra event in the US outside of California. The road riding must be terrible there.

I didn't say road riding in Alaska... I said road riding in Kodiak, AK... ;) like I said, not a lot of road in Kodiak, but plenty of trails! :beer:

oldpotatoe
11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
this is only kind of OT because it will be affecting my road riding...

I just heard today that I'll be getting transferred up to Kodiak Island to take over the clinic supervisor job at the Coast Guard clinic! :banana:

The job is phenomenal and the location is actually really cool... I was stationed there at the clinic about 10 years ago... you can actually get a good 50 to 60 mile ride in on the island, but the problem is you have to repeat that ride, or a portion of it, any time you want to ride on the road...

also, I'm thinking really hard about a Surly Pugsley for the winter... I think I'll be making really good use of my Salsa Vaya while I'm up there as well...

Chris

So who'd you pi_s off? Guess it's a good gig but when I was in, when somebody did something really, REALLY bad, it was a transfer to Alaska.

fourflys
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
So who'd you pi_s off? Guess it's a good gig but when I was in, when somebody did something really, REALLY bad, it was a transfer to Alaska.

Peter,
There are 5 E-8 Corpsman transferring this year (out of 18 total in the Guard) and since I'm #1 in San Diego and #2 going to college full time right now my priority was at a negative you might say... ;)

and it's still better than going back to Virginia...

Chris

Dave B
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Buy a snow mobile. No offense to Surly, but that sounds more fun. :beer:

Congrats though, this is one of those experiences I would dream about.

fourflys
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Buy a snow mobile. No offense to Surly, but that sounds more fun. :beer:

Congrats though, this is one of those experiences I would dream about.

not really enough snow believe it or not... Kodiak has the Japanese current that flows past it and warms it up, relatively speaking... we had a Quad last time we were there, but the rules in Coast Guard housing has changed and you are no longer allowed to ride out of you garage... that would require a trailer and just something I don't want to have to deal with... I was told there isn't enough snow for a Pugsley either so I'll just upgrade my Santa Cruz with some bling... :D

firerescuefin
11-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Congrats on the assigment Chris....you should be more than well acclimated for a riding visit to Denver in the winter ;) Everyone I know that has moved up there doesn't want to move back...that's sayin somethin

merlinmurph
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
and it's still better than going back to Virginia...

Chris

I'm totally with you on this, though I think we're in the vast minority.
Sounds like you want to make the most of it, have a ball.

Murph (whose wife spent some years in Valdez and never stops talking about it)