PDA

View Full Version : Lost season, stolen GP Suisse

djg
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but my Serotta GP Suisse Ti Cross bike was stolen yesterday in Washington, DC (daylight, bike rack, 2000 block of K Street NW).

It's nominally a "54" (52 x 54.5 cm) -- naked Ti, but for the Serotta logos and, on the top tube, a "Squadra Coppi" decal.

Alpha Q cross fork. Campag 10 speed (mostly centaur, with Chorus levers), Spooky Carbon cantis, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels, time pedals (plus a di notte head light and an L&M rear light). I guess I figure that this is gone, but if anybody happens to see this, please send me a PM (or maybe just call DC Metro Police, as it's already been reported stolen). I can provide more specifics, obviously, but I reckon this is the only Serotta Ti cross bike with a Squadra Coppi team sticker on it in the area.

I hadn't been racing this season because I was trying to work out some kinks via PT. I'd ridden the bike from my office to K Street for PT, locked it up, and it was gone when I came back, a bit over an hour later.

Great effin' bike. I hope the thief gets no pleasure from it (ok, I hope that he or she just gets caught).

zap
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Sucks that this happened.

I will let others know and keep an eye out for any postings.

If you have not done so yet, let my good friend Chuck at the bike rack know.

EDS
11-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Dang, in my old hood too.

AngryScientist
11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
terrible.

keep a eagle eye on craigslist and other used stuff outlets. its a pretty unique bike, hopefully it'll surface.

weiwentg
11-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but my Serotta GP Suisse Ti Cross bike was stolen yesterday in Washington, DC (daylight, bike rack, 2000 block of K Street NW).

It's nominally a "54" (52 x 54.5 cm) -- naked Ti, but for the Serotta logos and, on the top tube, a "Squadra Coppi" decal.

Alpha Q cross fork. Campag 10 speed (mostly centaur, with Chorus levers), Spooky Carbon cantis, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels, time pedals (plus a di notte head light and an L&M rear light). I guess I figure that this is gone, but if anybody happens to see this, please send me a PM (or maybe just call DC Metro Police, as it's already been reported stolen). I can provide more specifics, obviously, but I reckon this is the only Serotta Ti cross bike with a Squadra Coppi team sticker on it in the area.

I hadn't been racing this season because I was trying to work out some kinks via PT. I'd ridden the bike from my office to K Street for PT, locked it up, and it was gone when I came back, a bit over an hour later.

Great effin' bike. I hope the thief gets no pleasure from it (ok, I hope that he or she just gets caught).

I'll keep an eye out. Should be easy to recognize.

I'm glad my wife didn't take my advice to ride her bike down to the K street area for her allergy shots. I figured it's not a great area but in broad daylight there shouldn't be many bike thieves... guess crap can happen.

Ahneida Ride
11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
steal a bike ? two wackes of the cane.

Marcy
11-16-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm in SW D.C., and will watch for it...

Good luck!

-- Marc

jpw
11-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Forensic analysis.

What did you lock it up with - exactly what equipment (lock - model -, chain) did you use?
What part of the bike was locked, and to what?
Got a Google Street View of the location?
Got a photo of the bike?
Frame number?

djg
11-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Forensic analysis.

What did you lock it up with - exactly what equipment (lock - model -, chain) did you use?
What part of the bike was locked, and to what?
Got a Google Street View of the location?
Got a photo of the bike?
Frame number?

There's a picture of the bike in the gallery here. I don't mind providing folks with the serial number if they think they've actually found the bike, but really, if you see a Ti Serotta cross bike with an Alpha Q fork and a "Squadra Coppi" decal on the top tube, it's almost certainly mine, and you can call the police, who have detailed information -- and, on the other hand, as much as I appreciate the help that folks have offered, I'd rather not have people out there scrutinizing serial numbers on random bikes that only vaguely fit the general description.

You can plug 2000 K Street, NW, Washington, DC, into street view if you like. This is downtown Washington, DC in daylight -- plenty of pedestrian traffic between 1 and 2 PM. The lock was not one of the ne-plus-ultra, new and improved U-locks. It was a heavy duty insulated cable with an integrated combination lock -- Kryptonite brand -- the sort of lock that makes casual or occasional thieves move on and look for another target; not the kind that thwarts experienced, equipped, and determined bike thieves. The fact is, I have extremely secure bike parking at work and rarely leave the bike parked outside downtown, never in an out-of-the-way spot or an alley, never all day, and never overnight. Any sort of lock might be overkill in the office bike room, and parking elsewhere is always a relatively brief affair, during the day -- lucky or stupid maybe, but for years it has been fine. The cable went through both wheels, the frame, and a steel bike rack set in concrete.

charliedid
11-17-2011, 07:50 AM
There's a picture of the bike in the gallery here. I don't mind providing folks with the serial number if they think they've actually found the bike, but really, if you see a Ti Serotta cross bike with an Alpha Q fork and a "Squadra Coppi" decal on the top tube, it's almost certainly mine, and you can call the police, who have detailed information -- and, on the other hand, as much as I appreciate the help that folks have offered, I'd rather not have people out there scrutinizing serial numbers on random bikes that only vaguely fit the general description.

You can plug 2000 K Street, NW, Washington, DC, into street view if you like. This is downtown Washington, DC in daylight -- plenty of pedestrian traffic between 1 and 2 PM. The lock was not one of the ne-plus-ultra, new and improved U-locks. It was a heavy duty insulated cable with an integrated combination lock -- Kryptonite brand -- the sort of lock that makes casual or occasional thieves move on and look for another target; not the kind that thwarts experienced, equipped, and determined bike thieves. The fact is, I have extremely secure bike parking at work and rarely leave the bike parked outside downtown, never in an out-of-the-way spot or an alley, never all day, and never overnight. Any sort of lock might be overkill in the office bike room, and parking elsewhere is always a relatively brief affair, during the day -- lucky or stupid maybe, but for years it has been fine. The cable went through both wheels, the frame, and a steel bike rack set in concrete.

Sorry to hear that.

Pretty fancy bike to be locking there with a cable. Bet you never do that again...

rdparadise
11-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry to hear your bike was ripped off in broad daylight. That genuinely sucks.

I would recommend that you report this as well, "across the hall," at velocipede salon and in the forums on road bike reviiew. The more eyeballs looking for it the better.

Good luck with finding it.

Bob

Mr Cabletwitch
11-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I feel for those that have to worry about bike thieves. Where I live the only time I lock my bike up is when I park it in front of a bar and that's just to keep the drunks off it, for their own safety. Anyway I'll keep my eyes out if the bike makes its way north a bit.

stien
11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
This it?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51014&stc=1

Still a PITA to go digging in the gallery, so here everyone can see what it looks like.

Johny
11-17-2011, 12:29 PM
More pics of djg's bike here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=617451&postcount=1

Hope you get it back soon!

tiretrax
11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
That's awful. I don't lock my bike up anymore - if I can't take it into the building where I am going, I don't ride it. When I lived in D.C., I locked my brand new bike to a pole in front of an office bldg at Mass Ave & K street. When I came out, someone had twisted the bike around, denting the top tube.

I live near one of the 3 trails in Dallas and rode to work until the building management informed me that I was no longer welcomed to bring my bike into my office. Now, I'm back to driving every day.

redir
11-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Aw what a bummer man. I had a 29r stolen a few months ago. My renters insurance covered it, hopefully you have something similar. I'm not sure I know who you are but the bike looks familiar. I doubt it was a cross racer that stole it but if I see it at the next VACX or local cross races I'll make good note of it. Keep an eye on craigs list too sometimes thief's are incredible stupid.

djg
11-17-2011, 01:23 PM
This it?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51014&stc=1

Still a PITA to go digging in the gallery, so here everyone can see what it looks like.

Yep -- saddle is different (or was two days ago -- white and blue antares), stem (deda zero) and wheels (fulcrum racing 1), but that's the bike.

ultraman6970
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Did you put something in the local CL?? not being mena but wonder if the suckers come from another city to steal stuff to DC, like philly for example.