PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: UPS update of tracking numbers

Joachim
11-16-2011, 12:34 PM
So my new custom XCr should FINALLY be on it's way, but whenever I enter the UPS tracking number I only get the "label created" image. It was suppose to ship on Monday, does it take that long for UPS to update their system?

ORMojo
11-16-2011, 12:46 PM
The information on the UPS tracking system has usually been very current for me.

In your specific case, the "label created" status only means just that. The shipper has created a label (probably printed from the UPS on-line system), but has not actually shipped the item yet. The shipper may have the item ready for UPS pick-up or drop-off (which is usually updated in the tracking information pretty much instantaneously), or the shipper may have printed the label first, and still has to prepare & pack the item, and arrange for pick-up or drop-off. There can be anywhere from a several hour to several days+ delay between the "label created" status and UPS actually having possession of the shipment, through no fault of UPS or their tracking system.

rice rocket
11-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, UPS's system is nearly real time. Once I hear the doorbell ring, it's marked delivered within the minute.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks! Doing my best not to turn this into a builder basher thread (which I won't do btw). I think I'm going for a ride on my invisible bike....

AngryScientist
11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
i can only echo what the other said, UPS is usually very punctual about tracking updates, in my experience.

i too am guilty of wearing out the refresh button on my browser waiting for a shipping status update. good luck in getting your goods.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
good luck in getting your goods.

Thanks Angry, but right now it looks like all empty promises.

zetroc
11-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Another possibility is that the shipper (framebuilder) has gotten the bike boxed up and created a label for it, but it hasn't been picked up yet. Maybe they called for a pickup and the truck never came, or it's been picked up but hasn't been scanned at the depot yet. I can't imagine most fbuilders having a daily pickup.

Once it gets to the depot it should be scanned and updated within a day.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Another possibility is that the shipper (framebuilder) has gotten the bike boxed up and created a label for it, but it hasn't been picked up yet. Maybe they called for a pickup and the truck never came, or it's been picked up but hasn't been scanned at the depot yet. I can't imagine most fbuilders having a daily pickup.

Once it gets to the depot it should be scanned and updated within a day.

He said it shipped on Monday....whatever that means, but I completely agree with you. I'll give it another few hours, but it doesn't surprise me in the broad scheme of things....

leooooo
11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
UPS is awesome with status updates and taking the FULL 5 days as well.

I've never received anything from them btwn the 1-4 day mark, only on the fifth and final day. This is for all packages shipped from anywhere in America. From Oregon to NJ.

Regardless of original shipment location, I love looking at the package sit in Parsippany, NJ for days before being overnighted to NYC and "out for delivery" all on the final night!

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
UPS is awesome with status updates and taking the FULL 5 days as well.

I've never received anything from them btwn the 1-4 day mark, only on the fifth and final day. This is for all packages shipped from anywhere in America. From Oregon to NJ.

Regardless of original shipment location, I love looking at the package sit in Parsippany, NJ for days before being overnighted to NYC and "out for delivery" all on the final night!

You mean it has been shipped, but no updates until the final day (when all the updates appeared)?

SamIAm
11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks! Doing my best not to turn this into a builder basher thread (which I won't do btw). I think I'm going for a ride on my invisible bike....

I know this is sacrilege, but sometimes builders need to be bashed.

leooooo
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
You mean it has been shipped, but no updates until the final day (when all the updates appeared)?

Oh no, sorry for my tangent.

What I meant is that UPS tracking updates are often and accurate. However they do take their effort in maximizing the "up to 5 days" part of their shipping policy.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I know this is sacrilege, but sometimes builders need to be bashed.

Agreed, but the Serotta forum has been really good to me and I wouldn't want to use this forum as a board for that. That is what RBR is for right? :) Want to be 100% sure of my facts... stay tuned with popcorn...

Ahneida Ride
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
If the Label was printed using on-line USPS software, in most cases
the post office can't scan the bar code.

That is correct, the USPS can't read it's own bar-code.

Believe me .... I know only too well.

and you wonder why the Post Office has problems .... :eek:

You have to use non-USPS software to guarantee that the USPS
can scan it's own bar code.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
That is correct, the USPS can't read it's own bar-code.

Haha, yes, But this is UPS.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Ok, so the builder said it was picked up yesterday. He will drive to the distribution center tonight to check.

A word to the builders out there.... pictures, pictures, pictures. How much confusion can be alleviated by taking a simple digital picture.

bpm
11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
UPS updates are very fast indeed! Last week I was sitting in a conference room at work and I can see the receptionist desk from where I was sitting. I saw the UPS driver show up at the front desk with a bunch of packages. The receptionist signs for everything and as the driver is walking away, my BlackBerry chimes with a new email. It was the delivery confirmation from the UPS system. I've found that the FedEx system is equally prompt.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I have had the whole shipping label thing not update until the day my package is on the truck out for delivery. Give it a couple of days or call the builder and tell him you are trying to get an idea of a delivery date, but can't access any up-to-date delivery information. He should at least confirm the box was picked up by UPS.

Joachim
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
He should at least confirm the box was picked up by UPS.

Yes, he just emailed me that they did. My panties are not in a wad yet...

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
That doo-hickey clip board they carry is basically a lap top. They key in info that a package was delivered, and it's in the system immediately.

ultraman6970
11-16-2011, 06:16 PM
The guy created the label but the item IMO has not even been picked up or delivered to the nearest UPS location. Yes is super fast, is not like in USPS that sometimes takes a while to update. Wait for 10 days then ask to your builder.

So my new custom XCr should FINALLY be on it's way, but whenever I enter the UPS tracking number I only get the "label created" image. It was suppose to ship on Monday, does it take that long for UPS to update their system?

biker72
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, UPS's system is nearly real time. Once I hear the doorbell ring, it's marked delivered within the minute.
+1
This has been my experience also.

CNY rider
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
That doo-hickey clip board they carry is basically a lap top. They key in info that a package was delivered, and it's in the system immediately.

Not if they're delivering to my house with ????ty cell and non-existent internet service.
Maybe it was shipped from a place without good wireless and it needs some kind of manual updating........

jasonw661
11-19-2011, 10:59 PM
When the driver picks up the package, It will update the UPS system.